Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i just bought my bike brand new about a month ago, i have a 2012 r6 raven i absolutely love it. Today i just got done cleaning and polishing it and as i was pushing it into the garage i noticed a little bit of play with the right/throttle handle bar like it was a little loose. So i look closer to where its moving and i notice the whole damn bolt was missing from it, so i looked at the other side it had the bolt and was way tighter, i m trying to figure out how the hell this could just fall out. This is doesnt seem like it would be safe to drive it like this with this bolt missing, can it move a lot with that bolt missing? Heres 2 pictures one of the throttle side where the bolt is missing, and the second one is of the left side just so you can see what it looks like with the bolt there. Does anyone have any idea how this could happen? There is no nut attached it is just threaded on the other side. So that would make it even harder to just get loose and fall out.
----Throttle side, this bolt is missing, and i can not figure how it fell out or even got loose.

----Left side, this bolt is tight, snugged i checked just to see.

---I did order the bolt and washer today so hopefully its here by the end of the week.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,296 Posts
Dude...take that shit back to the dealer...they didmt put the bolt in.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
It's rideable just get the bolt asap

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Yep, the dealer forgot to put that bolt in when assembling the bike.......lol. You should tear them a new asshole. :laugh

·
Registered
260 Posts
Holy Fing crap man. I have the same exact bike AND the same exact problem. I noticed it after i had taken it on an 8 hour ride to Kansas City. I temporarily used a bolt and lock washer from a hardware store to keep it tight. I called the dealer and they said they were going to order one and call me when it comes in. That was after trying to blame me for it because I didn't have them do the 600 mile service. I'm going to call them tomorrow to check on it. Crazy that this happened to someone else...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine fell out on the ride home from the dealer (same exact bolt). Heard it fall out but thought it was just a rock at the time. Noticed it at a red light and headed back to the dealer.. They took one off a floor model and one dude got his ass chewed out pretty bad by the service manager.

·
Registered
118 Posts
my bike is 2011 and same bolt was missing...didnt take her to the dealer for 600 mile service...i just put a bolt in when i noticed it

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry to awaken an old thread but....

I have the same problem, the question is, can I just buy any old bolt from a hardware store to replace this one? or is there something special about this bolt (i.e. need to order an official yammi part?)

·
Registered
1 Posts
just go to the hardware store, and buy some locktite :)

take the one off the other side of the bike so you know the thread size and length

·
Registered
28 Posts
Guys, just bought my 2017 R6 like three weeks ago and noticed it yesterday. Loose right handlebar, bolt completely gone where the throttle meets the fork. How in the heck does this happen so frequently? Can we order and reinstall the bolt ourselves?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Doesn't take much torque to damage a stainless (or aluminum) fastener.

Tip: Use plastic wrap beneath the cap of your semi-solid stick of thread locker adhesive. Due to (purposefully) poor packaging, the next time you pull it out, it may be partially dried out. The Loctite brand stuff ain't exactly cheap. (and has an expiration date at that)

·
R6s are not uncomfortable
5 Posts
Got a used 17 R6 with 277 miles after 700 miles of riding I noticed the right bolt for the clip-on was missing

Might be the same person at the Yamaha factory not tightening bolts on purpose.

This might be more common than you think

1 - 20 of 24 Posts