Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
In my experience it depends on temp and what is around it. On a moderate day it can be great but if it's real new and the temp goes up it can get kind of slick. Also if you throw some sand out on it then watch out no matter what the temp. Also when it rains on it depending on how new it is you will see some oily stuff come out of it which I could not tell you if it's slick or not. When I'm on something fresh like that if it is raining I slow way down and try not to lean. I can tell you though that if you put your foot down on it in the rain it feels pretty slick. I guess what I'm getting at, is that it can be really sticky and smooth but depending on conditions and how new it is, it can catch you off guard. Hope this helps.

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
weird i asked myself this same question today taking a turn onto a highway...road was brand new all through the curve..but i didnt lean too hard in fear it was slippery..id say the guy above me is right..depends on the conditions

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
That is a tough question. I used to be a big rig driver and one of the things I hauled was the tarmac that was used to make the roads. They use a pretty sticky oil and the tarmac itself is made of sand, gravel and a proprietary blend of tire rubber and other company specific modifiers. The sand particles when the road is first laid out will very easily wear away also allowing some of the gravel to come with it. That is why the road usually has a bunch of gravel and loose stuff off to the side during the first couple of weeks. As the tarmac cures, it's adhesion to itself improves and less of the particles will wear away. This is a point that is about a month after it has been laid. The rubber impregnated roads have more grip at most all times. The reason I would believe there to be less grip after the road has been laid down is because of that initial wear in period. The loose and non adhered particles will be easily broken away by the tires scuffing it as you drive over it. The road would have it's best tire adhesion a month or two after it was laid. At this point most all of the loose particles will have been worked out and removed from the driving surface and there will have been a chance for rubber from car tires ETC. to get worked into the tarmac surface also increasing adhesion.

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
Now Something I know!

With Fresh Asphalt, you have LOTS of Oil that is used to Make the rock stick together. What Luke said is 98% right There are a few things in there that are a lil wrong. Commerical X Mix Which is used for Highways state roads is a 30% Petrolium product 60%Rock 10% other by products, There is some sand, Not much, Comm X Mix does not contain Rubber, There are however some that do contain rubber but they will be used for parking lots, If they were to be used on Highways they would wear out faster. Fresh off the truck it will be slick, and as cars travel over it still be slick, I will say that after a month you will have the best grip. BUT What you should also take into account is the oil that drips from cars...Which is more than you would think! And the reason that some places use Cement is what they can get cheaper. Cement which has to be poured in slabs tends to have pot holes at the joints faster BUT they wear less than asphalt. Asphalt has a life of 5 years on major roads/highways. Cement has a life of about 8 years before replacement at first it cost more than asphalt but when you dont have to replace it as soon you get some cost back.

So to get back on topic NO you dont have the best grip on fresh asphalt. The best thing is for a good rain to Cure the mix all the way. It takes about 2 days for the Mix to be 100% cured Hints the random bits of gravel that comes out of it. But after about 1 month it will be the best

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
Wow, it's difficult to even post a comment that's remotely helpful after those two. Sounds like they know they're stuff :fact

Seems to me it all depends on temp and conditions as stated above. And I find it to be super slippery when there's some rain on the ground, more so than regular old roads.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I'm just the truck driver so I was only posting materials based on what I could see going in them. I remember doing a section of highway with that rubber stuff and boy does that crap stick to everything.

The grooves help displace water and provide traction. Concrete lasts a lot longer than asphalt and is less expensive to maintain. It is more expensive to lay though and doesn't provide the best overall traction for vehicles. The decision to use either or is based on cost need and maintenance.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I'm just the truck driver so I was only posting materials based on what I could see going in them. I remember doing a section of highway with that rubber stuff and boy does that crap stick to everything.

The grooves help displace water and provide traction. Concrete lasts a lot longer than asphalt and is less expensive to maintain. It is more expensive to lay though and doesn't provide the best overall traction for vehicles. The decision to use either or is based on cost need and maintenance.
i hate grooved roads.

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i hate grooved roads.
I went to my aunts house in Ohio for a month this summer and about 80% of the roads up there a grooved. And one of the guys I met up there at a bike night would pull a wheelie on these roads and ride it out like it was no big deal. Lol smooth asphalt only for my wheelies thanks!:lmao

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
That is most likely the Tar that is used for the asphlat to Adhere to the surface below, On REALLY hot days it will pull through the Mix when it is fairly fresh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts