Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking into getting a few things before I realised something. I don't know what the hell I need and what products I should buy. I have a budget of about $1750 (Can be budged a little), I have been lurking on the forums for a month or so now, and have a general knowledge of what I need. I don't want to half-ass it though. It will be ridden on the street more than anything because there are no tracks where I live. The bike right now is completely stock aside from the fact the previous owner was a dumbass and took the stock muffler off and tossed it. I don't know of any dynos close to where I live. I would just like to hear your guys ideas on what I should do.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
What's your goal here?

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
He said gear........pshh.........

All HP gains baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.. I did post in the exhaust and fuel delivery. Probably gear. ;) But in all seriousness. Exhaust, PCV, ECU flash? What would you gents (or ladies) do if it was your bike?

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
If I was just riding the bike on the street, I'd get a stock muffler. Then get a tune and a reflashed ecu. Any money spent on power gains for a street bike is just a waste. How much time on the street are you spending above 10k rpm?

Spend the leftover money on suspension, tires and gas.

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
If I was just riding the bike on the street, I'd get a stock muffler. Then get a tune and a reflashed ecu. Any money spent on power gains for a street bike is just a waste. How much time on the street are you spending above 10k rpm?

.....then how is new suspension not waste either? :lmao

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Brakes!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well we have a lot of canyons and nice long straight aways in Montana.. I don't know if that would change anything.. Why would you recommend going back with the stock muffler instead of something like a slip on? And what sort of tune, and who would you use to reflash ECU? I like opinions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

To be honest, not much. But then again, when I'm there I want to haul ass.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would probably do a slip on, ECU flash, maybe a corbin seat and rearsets, fender elim, integrated signals

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
.....then how is new suspension not waste either? :lmao
Because you'll be using it every time, all the time you throw a leg over.

Stock suspension is a compromise on nearly any bike. Springs are used that accommodate certain rider weights and make riding with a passenger somewhat safe. Unless you can get good sag numbers with the stock stuff, it is worth it to at least get the bike sprung for your weight and a baseline setup for sag.

Same thing goes for damping rates, but getting into that is substantially more money than a set of springs.

The guy also has a 2009. When was the last time the suspension was serviced? New fluid is always a good bang for the buck improvement.

Well we have a lot of canyons and nice long straight aways in Montana.. I don't know if that would change anything.. Why would you recommend going back with the stock muffler instead of something like a slip on? And what sort of tune, and who would you use to reflash ECU? I like opinions.
In my opinion slip-ons are a waste of money. They make more noise that is about it. OEM cans are dirt cheap. There are a couple local guys to me that do reflashes, but there is a guy here on the forums that does everyone seems to recommend. The stock fueling again is a compromise for epa and noise requirements. Getting a tune can smooth out any dips and make the on/off throttle transition less abrupt.

·
stuntin
738 Posts
Fender eliminator, flush mounts, stainless steel brake lines, 520 conversion and whichever gearing you prefer. Slip on. Maybe ecu flash. Maybe HID's. That should be under 1750 easily but all those would make a bike nicer. All that assuming you have new oil, tires, air filter etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe I should have been more clear on what my bike is. Mechanically it is stock, aside from the stock muffler being off. I have a fender eliminator kit, flush mount turn signals, frame sliders, etc. The company computer Im on is all locked out when it comes to java and whatnot so I have an imgur link, but I dont quite know if the forum allows it or not. I was asking for mechanical things I could do.
Here is the imgur. http://imgur.com/stTC4nj

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The guy also has a 2009. When was the last time the suspension was serviced? New fluid is always a good bang for the buck improvement.

In my opinion slip-ons are a waste of money. They make more noise that is about it. OEM cans are dirt cheap. There are a couple local guys to me that do reflashes, but there is a guy here on the forums that does everyone seems to recommend. The stock fueling again is a compromise for epa and noise requirements. Getting a tune can smooth out any dips and make the on/off throttle transition less abrupt.
The suspension hasn't been serviced, the guy who had it before me had the suspension adjusted for 190 which is exactly what I weigh. Who is the guy that everyone recommends?

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Underglows FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts