Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research before i go ahead and pick up a R6. I was doing research on how to break in a motor...and i came up with this web site oh how to break in your motor http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. I've always learn that you should break in your motor slow and easy, but this article is the exact opposite. ANyone that can give a opinion about this would help me out tremdously

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i personally dont go with his way of breakin in but i think a mix of the easy way and that way is the best. dont stay above 8k for too long and let your motor get up to its heat limit where the fan kicks on a few times to help seat the rings. ad dont feel bad about hittin the gas a bit, it wont hurt it. just dont stay there too long :cheers

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what the guy mention...open the trottle and close the trottle. HINT*DON"T BEAT ON IT* But im leaning out toward his way of break in the motor.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have seen this before. I have mixed emotions.

On one hand, it seems silly to romp on a motor when the parts have not had time to work with eachother-when oil hasnt fully been run through the system-and when the freshly machined surfaces are not worn in to properly seat with eachoteher. There are a lot of parts inside the motor and they are all made to be as light as they possibly can be and still work.

On the other hand, the easy break in may be a ploy by manufacturers to not only prevent their products from blowing up within the first month of ownership, but also allow a new owner to become acclimated and proficient in understanding the handling of the dangerous weapon that the R6 is before opening it up with no idea how it is going to react.

Decide for yourself, I struggled with the choice, but I just bought a new bike and chose to follow the factory instructions and take it easy on the break in.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you take it slow at first, it will prolong the engine.

What I did was, trying to moving rpm around all the time. and within 50 miles I pulled hard and back off. I feel like doing it in the correct way. My .02 cent

·
Registered
786 Posts
SportRider's most recent issue dealt with motorbreakin..... Someone posted a link on here somewhere.....

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i say if you got the money to do engine rebuilds every month then hey go for it. but unfortunately alot of us here dont have that type of bank roll. so most of us do it the way it says in the owners manual. i believe no cant go wrong following the manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts