Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently picked up a 2000 R6.
I got it home and realized the tank had some water in it and rust. Took the tank off put it off to the side put a funnel in the fuel line filled it and tried to start it. Cranked over a few times then fired up with a rough idle then it cleared out. Now when I rev it about 6000 it starts to sputter. I cant tell if its flooding, not enough fuel, carbs out of sync or debris in the carbs again (even though the owner just told me he had them cleaned a few weeks ago)
The tank was pretty bad. I tried the old acid trick and ended up eating through the petcock. Tank is pretty clean though for now. The fuel filter was full of rust.

Any opinions on what could be causing it to break up around 6k?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check if all 4 cylinders are running.
Let the engine warm up and put water on each header pipe and see if it burns. If one header does not burn you know the cyclinder which is not working.
In such case check the spark plug and ignition coil.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just recently picked up a 2000 R6.

I got it home and realized the tank had some water in it and rust. Took the tank off put it off to the side put a funnel in the fuel line filled it and tried to start it. Cranked over a few times then fired up with a rough idle then it cleared out. Now when I rev it about 6000 it starts to sputter. I cant tell if its flooding, not enough fuel, carbs out of sync or debris in the carbs again (even though the owner just told me he had them cleaned a few weeks ago)

The tank was pretty bad. I tried the old acid trick and ended up eating through the petcock. Tank is pretty clean though for now. The fuel filter was full of rust.

Any opinions on what could be causing it to break up around 6k?

People tell lies when selling stuff! If he had the carbs cleaned he would be aware of rust in the tank I’m sure. Follow advise already given and even if ok, check the plugs / replace. Then look at the carbs and consider cleaning as a betting man would put money on those being compromised given state of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check if all 4 cylinders are running.
Let the engine warm up and put water on each header pipe and see if it burns. If one header does not burn you know the cyclinder which is not working.
In such case check the spark plug and ignition coil.
Ill check that as soon as i get home from work.

People tell lies when selling stuff! If he had the carbs cleaned he would be aware of rust in the tank I’m sure. Follow advise already given and even if ok, check the plugs / replace. Then look at the carbs and consider cleaning as a betting man would put money on those being compromised given state of the tank.

I did pull the plugs day before yesterday and they did look new and weren't crazy wet. Yesterday, I ran about a gallon of gas through it along with some carb cleaner. When I sprayed carb cleaner in carb 3&4 it lowered the idle. When I sprayed it in 1&2 it raised the idle.

Here's a short video

It also wont rev about 10,000 rpm. Is that normal or is just something wrong?
Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ill check that as soon as i get home from work.

I did pull the plugs day before yesterday and they did look new and weren't crazy wet. Yesterday, I ran about a gallon of gas through it along with some carb cleaner. When I sprayed carb cleaner in carb 3&4 it lowered the idle. When I sprayed it in 1&2 it raised the idle.

Here's a short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4evIYQL-WA&t=0s&list=FLxSFQziJ9XDBXRUGt4o8aOA&index=1

It also wont rev about 10,000 rpm. Is that normal or is just something wrong?

Thanks for your feedback!

It should have raised the idle on all carbs I would expect. I would Strip and clean those to be thorough given the state of the tank. Have you replaced the fuel filter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should have raised the idle on all carbs I would expect. I would Strip and clean those to be thorough given the state of the tank. Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Thats what I was thinking too, I found a guy to clean them for $100. Fuel filter is on its way, It was BAD with rust in it so Im running the bike through a funnel in the fuel line that goes to the carbs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carbs are off at the cleaner and new petcock is here! Time to derust the tank and see what happens!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 05, when riding it worked perfectly up until about 8k rpm then would sputter and struggle and not rev up any higher, my issue was caused by the main fuel line getting kinked once i set the tank back down, I had replaced it when I resprayed my tank with some generic rubber fuel line. Put some clamps on the fuel line at the point where it kinked, tighten em tight so the line holds it's shape, and it was fixed, never had the problem again. I even noticed that the bike performed better than with the oem line, maybe it also had a small kink that was cutting fuel supply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts