Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
In 2003, vehicle miles traveled increased slightly to 2.88 trillion, up from 2.86 trillion in 2002, according to the DOT’s Federal Highway Administration.

holy sweet mother of marry's dad's brother's sister's wife's mother's chidren's goat! :eek:oh

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have always had a beef with how they report alcohol related crashes. "Forty percent (17,401) of all fatalities were alcohol-related..."

They don't mention the other activities or circumstances.

My main one is that drinking typically takes place in the evenings, and that exhaustion is probably a bigger contributor to major accidents than barely detectable BAC.

However, the federal government is holding the states hostage over rediculously low threshold levels of BAC. We are talking about a level which is marginally above the range of error of the testing equipment.

Stupid, unskilled, unattentive, uncaring drivers are the real lingering problem on our roads. Not the handfull of people that the government and insurance industry can't currently make money off of because they blew a .08 instead of a .10. :roll:

They need to enforce the laws we already have before trying to find ways to enhance the revenue stream from their biggest cash cow. (DUI's)

Now I in no way disagree that significantly impaired individuals are a danger to everyone on the road. However, they aren't really going out of their way to keep these people from driving. They have to get like 5 or 6 DUI's before they ever put an ingition interlock on their cars. At that point the government has made 10's of thousands of dollars off that person in penalties and court costs, and probably just as much in the kick-back they get from the insurance company's increased premiums on that driver... especially now that that driver is forced to have an SR-22.

But the way things are heading, you can have ONE glass of wine with dinner and blow over the new proposed limit on a breathalyzer. And you are in NO WAY impaired at that point.

This is ALL about making money under the guise of public safety, and it is drawing attention away from enforcement of existing laws that could ACTUALLY make the roads safer.

·
Registered
953 Posts
be nice if they gave a total regestered bikes i the US to give an average of riders => deaths

·
Registered
281 Posts
My best friend was one of those 3,529....

If you guys ever hear me say "Take it to the track..." "No risk worth taking on street.." "SLOW DOWN" or anything along those lines...please, don't take offense or think i am trying to preach, i just don't want anyone to have to go through what we did last year.

Be safe, Have fun....

·
Registered
836 Posts
TWOtheONE said:
My best friend was one of those 3,529....

If you guys ever hear me say "Take it to the track..." "No risk worth taking on street.." "SLOW DOWN" or anything along those lines...please, don't take offense or think i am trying to preach, i just don't want anyone to have to go through what we did last year.

Be safe, Have fun....
Amen, AMEN.

My club lost a member last year, and it is a horrible experience. Really made me rethink things. I ended up not riding as much as usual, and finally came to the conclusion that riding sportbikes on the street they way I used to was too risky an endeavor at this point in my life.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
yea loosing people you love and are close to sucks. one of my good friends in high school was killed on his bike. it sucked horribly. so ride carefully push it within your limits and have a good time.

stay up

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hate to hear that. if i was religious id pray.

as per the attachment up top i hate how they always say fatalities rose bla bla bla. they never mention that the over all # of riders incrased accordingly too. so really the fatality to rider ratio is alway about the same.

They always like to point the finger at some one and be so dramatic about it

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
NY sucks with the insurance and stupid traffic laws. Back to what Rocky said, there has to be some sort of pack between the lawmakers and the I.C.'s...

I remember a prom I went to in HS that they were using the strips to test everyone for BAC. Kids were getting positives for Tit-Tacs and other breath mints... It was crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts