Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do I have to get a motorcycle license in order to get the title of my bike in my name? Or to get a tag? I am 19. I will be taking the safety course but around here its booked up for about 2 months. I am in florida, and I do have a class E drivers License.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I think as of the beginning of this year or last year, you have to take the motorcycle safety course in order to drive a motorcycle....regardless of age...idk...imma look it up for u

·
Registered
28 Posts
Idk...I just looked it up and it said that u can just get a motorcycle only license. You just have to pass the standard class E test.

·
Watch out, I'm riding!
378 Posts
Motorcycle license is NOT required to title the bike in Florida - you don't even need a license at all, just a Florida state ID. (However, without a proper license, you'll run into problems with the tag.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, if I might run into problems registering the bike and getting the tag, could I use the sellers tag?

·
Kasanova
387 Posts
July 1st 2008 is when Florida will no longer be issuing our 90 day motorcycle licenses, from that point on you HAVE TO take the MSF course. You could use the sellers tags, as long as the bike is still registered to him (it would be like driving someone else's car). But, once the bike is under your name you need your own tags. Having fraudulent tags is not only a nice little ticket, they can haul you off the jail and your bike to the impound lot

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
Hmmm, if I might run into problems registering the bike and getting the tag, could I use the sellers tag?
most states required you to tunr in tags upon even taking insurance off a vehicle. i was told that you dont have to have insurance on a motorcycle to get tags for it (not sure how true that is) but i can assure you that the seller will have to turn in the tags upon selling the bike

·
Kasanova
387 Posts
Yes, In Florida you do not need proof of insurance to get tags. And, yes your are SUPPOSED to turn your tags in when you sell your bike, but its not really enforced (at least in my county). I know because I borrowed on of my buddy's old tags when I got my bike :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my bike at the stealership, but at the time didn't have the endorsement or any proof of insurance (In FL insurance isn't mandatory) and I got the title in my name as well as the tags and registration from a civilian company Auto Tags ID in Daytona Beach. Hope that helps somewhat...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts