Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across this document from a fellow motorcycle rider. Has anyone heard about this kind of thing for the Army, Air Force or Marines? (God, I hope not)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
This came across my desk about 2 months ago..... I have yet to take the course...

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
The Marine Corps is instituting the same.

·
U.S. Marine
1,099 Posts
yea same for Marines. I have to say this is "bunk", but there are still those 19-yr old tough guys that go out and get themselves killed by doing stupid shit and everyone has to pay for it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am a 8-yr AF Vet and now DOD Army Civilian working on an AF base...from what I am told I know the every 3 year requirement may become reality for AF, not sure about the Sportbike only course though...Matter of fact I just had the Wing Ground Safety rep that coordinate all the MSF onbase course tell me that I should retake ERC because the change is near.

The bad thing is the state of IL doesn't recognize the Base courses...a beginner doing the BRC on base would have to take the road test or retake the ILDOT MSF. This comes straight from the DMV....

Luckily I already have my "M" endorsment and took the ERC back in 2001. But, sucks for new riders on base, as one is needed to before being allowed to ride on base.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah Army too. The Fort where I work says that you have to have taken and passed the MSF course before you can get decals to ride on post.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sportbike Rider Course (SRC) is required to ride in Air Mobility Command (Air Force). Some smart guy came up with the concept at Dover AFB, and it was instituted command wide. The Air Force is beginning to institute it everywhere, and other services are doing the same.

I've taken the Sport Bike Training and it is pretty good...especially for a novice rider. It teaches you advanced cornering and braking techniques. The most important value (I thought) was you got to ride your own bike.

The same goes with the Experience Rider's Course. You have to use your own bike. It is a lot of low speed maneuvers as well as some higher speed stuff as well.

The way I see it as...the more training, the better.

What I disliked, was sport bike riders were not allowed to ride their bikes until they took sportbike training. For example, I go out and buy a brand new R6. I am prevented from riding it until I schedule my sportbike class. Stupid policy at Dover AFB if you ask me. Make them sign up for a class, but let them ride it...!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have probs with it because its not blanket, but they may have statics to back up that "forward leaning riders with their feet aft of their center of balance" have had more accidents than the cruiser types. However, here in IL outside Scott AFB, which is AMC the sportbike riders appear to be the only ones wearing helments and armoured jackets. All the cruiser guys are in shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers...Go figure...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah...people do that, but just remember this:

If you are uniformed personnel, you are required to follow the rules of your respective base/camp/fort/service. If not, you will get a Line of Duty determination, have to pay for your own medical bills, and probably be force to separate...

To each their own...regardless of bike...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have probs with it because its not blanket, but they may have statics to back up that "forward leaning riders with their feet aft of their center of balance" have had more accidents than the cruiser types. However, here in IL outside Scott AFB, which is AMC the sportbike riders appear to be the only ones wearing helments and armoured jackets. All the cruiser guys are in shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers...Go figure...
I'm not sure what "blanket" is but yah, guys on cruisers are the ones that usually don't wear their gear.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm not sure what "blanket" is but yah, guys on cruisers are the ones that usually don't wear their gear.
As in "blanket policy"...its appears to be a legal way to single out sportbike riders.

Yeah...people do that, but just remember this:

If you are uniformed personnel, you are required to follow the rules of your respective base/camp/fort/service. If not, you will get a Line of Duty determination, have to pay for your own medical bills, and probably be force to separate...

To each their own...regardless of bike...
Yes that is true...and should be the case if someone injures themselve being stupid...As for me I am Veteran...DoD Civilian...we are exempt to some degre as they are more focused on the uniformed personnel although the policy applies to DoD civilians as well. Luckily though, my spouse is military, I would pull out the dependent ID....:lmao

Nah, all joking aside...its true the more training the better. It is just something about being made to do something that I believe gets on some folks nerves. I don't mind the course myself as long as it can be taken at leisure...

·
clutch it up
475 Posts
I remember you also had to a very sporty reflective vest while riding on based. They make every thing a pain in the ass in the military. Glad im all done with it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ridiculous motorcycle rules aside, I love the military and don't see myself leaving for a very long time. Only way I'm leaving is if they kick me out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm my BN's "Motorcycle Mentorship Officer" (Army) on FT Bragg and we're required to have the BRC course (offered free on ft bragg) and I've heard rumors of the ERC being required in the future (also offered free on ft bragg) although I check with the Post Safety office and they've heard nothing off it but I'm sure it will come. As far as required gear on post..my BDE is requiring us to wear a reflective vest around our bodies and a belt around our backpack. Along with long sleeves, over-the-ankle shoes, DOT approved helmet, long pants and eye protection. Our motorcycles must be inspected and must have rear view mirrors and all that other working crap. They also have us sign safety pledges and councilings so we can ride. All of this is because soldiers keep getting themselves killed. Its getting to the point of being ridiculous to ride and I'm debating making my bike a track bike just so they'll leave me alone. I have no problems being safe and they have to realize that soldiers are going to be soldiers, no matter what you "require" of them.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
Ridiculous motorcycle rules aside, I love the military and don't see myself leaving for a very long time. Only way I'm leaving is if they kick me out.
Your dedication is appreciated. I stayed as long as I could, and still work for the military.

I'm my BN's "Motorcycle Mentorship Officer" (Army) on FT Bragg and we're required to have the BRC course (offered free on ft bragg) and I've heard rumors of the ERC being required in the future (also offered free on ft bragg) although I check with the Post Safety office and they've heard nothing off it but I'm sure it will come. As far as required gear on post..my BDE is requiring us to wear a reflective vest around our bodies and a belt around our backpack. Along with long sleeves, over-the-ankle shoes, DOT approved helmet, long pants and eye protection. Our motorcycles must be inspected and must have rear view mirrors and all that other working crap. They also have us sign safety pledges and councilings so we can ride. All of this is because soldiers keep getting themselves killed. Its getting to the point of being ridiculous to ride and I'm debating making my bike a track bike just so they'll leave me alone. I have no problems being safe and they have to realize that soldiers are going to be soldiers, no matter what you "require" of them.
The whole BRC, ERC, and Military Sportbike Rider progression has supposedly been coming down from DoD. Several services are instituting it before the mandate. I think education is a positive key. Hopefully it can open eyes, and opportunities.

The Marine Corps had Keith Code traveling and teaching a class to military sportbike riders. These guys were dragging knee, doing suspension setups, learning about tire choice. I applaud both the Marine Corps and Keith Code for this. Actually ran into Mr. Code in Beaufort SC when he was conducting this training earlier this year.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Marine Corps had Keith Code traveling and teaching a class to military sportbike riders. These guys were dragging knee, doing suspension setups, learning about tire choice. I applaud both the Marine Corps and Keith Code for this. Actually ran into Mr. Code in Beaufort SC when he was conducting this training earlier this year.
Now if the MSC was like that for all services then I would jump at a chance to attend...especially for free and since it is mandatory training DOD Civilians and Service member don't have to take leave...That course sounds worthwhile.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
my neighbor who is a civilian but works on a military base had to take the BRC before he could ride on the base.
kind of funny considering he had the MSF school certificate from a few years ago, and has been riding a long time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts