Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought my r6 last june. Im doing my taxes and I know you can claim automobile sales tax and i know you could claim motorcycle sales tax in 2009. Does anyone know if they extended it for 2010?

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Dont know...subbed for a tax guy to say ye or ne...

·
You wanna touch my what?
1,307 Posts
So i bought my r6 last june. Im doing my taxes and I know you can claim automobile sales tax and i know you could claim motorcycle sales tax in 2009. Does anyone know if they extended it for 2010?
You can only claim the sales tax for the year you purchased it. You can however write off the registration for as long as you own it.

So if you bought the bike in 2010, yes you can write it off for FY2010. If you buy a bike in 2013, you can write it off for FY2013.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
You can only claim the sales tax for the year you purchased it. You can however write off the registration for as long as you own it.

So if you bought the bike in 2010, yes you can write it off for FY2010. If you buy a bike in 2013, you can write it off for FY2013.
so i registered my bike in 2010, i can put that towards my taxes!?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
so i registered my bike in 2010, i can put that towards my taxes!?
depends on when you paid the sales tax really. if you bought a bike 2 years ago, and didn't pay registration (tax) on it until 2010, then you can write off the tax you paid in 2010. granted, it would have not been officially yours until 2010, but eh.

that's the tricky part about buying track bikes so often - most of the times they don't get registered and there's no proof that you bought them and paid the tax on em.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
depends on when you paid the sales tax really. if you bought a bike 2 years ago, and didn't pay registration (tax) on it until 2010, then you can write off the tax you paid in 2010. granted, it would have not been officially yours until 2010, but eh.

that's the tricky part about buying track bikes so often - most of the times they don't get registered and there's no proof that you bought them and paid the tax on em.
well i bought it that year and got it registered. sweet. so i just need my registration papers and issh. wohoo! atleast a little helps.

but your right about track bikes, i bet a lot of riders didn't even get that bish registered.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
if you bought it last year - 2010 - and registered it for the first time, you paid registration fees, AND state/local taxes on it. or either you paid the dealer/buyer direct that tax. figure out, b/c that tax (i think it's the state sales tax rate) is able to be written off.

registration fees are separate, but also tax deductible.

turbotax ftw. :)

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
if you bought it last year - 2010 - and registered it for the first time, you paid registration fees, AND state/local taxes on it. or either you paid the dealer/buyer direct that tax. figure out, b/c that tax (i think it's the state sales tax rate) is able to be written off.

registration fees are separate, but also tax deductible.

turbotax ftw. :)
boight from private seller. soo i just payed registration fees. sweeett!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. Double check because in Florida you can't claim registration fees. Then again, we don't have a state income tax

1 - 12 of 12 Posts