Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched pretty in depth on this topic. Just wanted to know if anyone has strapped down an 03-05 r6 (r6s) without using a canyon dancer? I'm planning my first track day and renting a uhaul trailer (big enough for two bikes, my brother's and mine). I just bought some Trackside Tie Downs unexpectedly because they had a two for one deal. They have loops on them, so I figured I don't need to buy soft ties. And I read that most motorcycles are able to get away with looping them around the clips-ons. However, I didn't see any room on my bike. Only way I could see it possible was looping it around the grips which I didn't think would work. Any suggestions? I don't really want to get the canyon dancer unless I have to, or if anyone could get me a sweet deal on maybe a used one. :sing

·
dont fake the funk
1,814 Posts
do yourself a favor and buy sum dancers. its a one time investment, and you'' be able to use them again and again. is it worth your bike falling over or damaging a fairing?

·
I gotta ride!
191 Posts
I use them but my buddy sears they will mess up the throttle tube so he continues to tie his here and there and everywhere...we usually pull over 2 or 3 times to get his back on the trailer right. And thats with tire chocks on my trailer.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I managed to tie mine down without a Canyon Dancer. I tied off around the lower triple I think. I had the bike wedged diagonally in the back of a pick-up, so it might not work out quite as well on a trailer.

A Canyon Dancer is all of ~$25 - compared to all the other trackday expenses it's not really a big deal. Cycle Cynch is another option. It's a little more expensive but supposedly much easier on the grips.

http://www.cyclecynch.com/CCpages/CCproduct.html

Which day and what track are you headed to?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to tie mine down without a Canyon Dancer. I tied off around the lower triple I think. I had the bike wedged diagonally in the back of a pick-up, so it might not work out quite as well on a trailer.

A Canyon Dancer is all of ~$25 - compared to all the other trackday expenses it's not really a big deal. Cycle Cynch is another option. It's a little more expensive but supposedly much easier on the grips.

http://www.cyclecynch.com/CCpages/CCproduct.html

Which day and what track are you headed to?
I guess I might as well for peace of mind. Was just trying to save as much money as possible. I'm going April 11th to Button Willow. Track Tactics is holding it.

·
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
68 Posts
Yes you should definitely just get the canyon dancer. When you have it on the bike right the only way that bike is coming out is if you roll the truck.

They work well and even allow you to get away with cramped arrangements like this:

I apologize for the crum picture but this was last September so I can't exactly get a better pic. The 750 has the original canyon dancer, R6 has the 2nd gen canyon dancer. We drove these bikes 700 miles from Lake Geneva, WI to Roanoke, VA through rush hour traffic. These bikes never budged an inch!

Attachments

·
say cheese
272 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Canyon Dancer II tie down system. I own it and did a long haul with them and they did put extra wear and tear on my driven grips and who knows about the throttle tube. Not to mention the cross over strap can put a lot of extra strain on the plastic portion of the gas tank. The center strap does not actually ride across the tank but it gets pinched in between the tank and the frame where it does put pressure back against this expensive plastic fuel tank extension. My grips never fully recovered from the smooshing they received from the Dancer's fiberglass cups and they were not the cheap stock grips. All in all it was better then no mounting system but I think the Cycle Cynch is the way to go. Also a wheel chock is a must have unless you want to pull over a bunch and readjust.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes you should definitely just get the canyon dancer. When you have it on the bike right the only way that bike is coming out is if you roll the truck.

They work well and even allow you to get away with cramped arrangements like this:

I apologize for the crum picture but this was last September so I can't exactly get a better pic. The 750 has the original canyon dancer, R6 has the 2nd gen canyon dancer. We drove these bikes 700 miles from Lake Geneva, WI to Roanoke, VA through rush hour traffic. These bikes never budged an inch!
i like the canyon dancers... never experienced a problem with them yet.

question bro pic above what kinda truck is that/ bed size to have the 2 bikes in there

·
68 Posts
i like the canyon dancers... never experienced a problem with them yet.

question bro pic above what kinda truck is that/ bed size to have the 2 bikes in there
Truck is a F350 with the 6.0 turbo diesel (hold the remarks everyone knows that engine sucks now), the bed is full size, 8ft. It's a tight fit, you need two people to make it easy to do... but it works.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Truck is a F350 with the 6.0 turbo diesel (hold the remarks everyone knows that engine sucks now), the bed is full size, 8ft. It's a tight fit, you need two people to make it easy to do... but it works.
still sick truck man...huge deisel fan.. .my buddy has a frontier crew cab we load the bikes and quads up in and he got a trailer... thing tows 8k pounds

so its not bad for a 6 banger

·
68 Posts
still sick truck man...huge deisel fan.. .my buddy has a frontier crew cab we load the bikes and quads up in and he got a trailer... thing tows 8k pounds

so its not bad for a 6 banger
Yeah we tow a lot of cattle and horses around with the truck with a gooseneck. I've towed well over the recommended weight on the hitch with no problems what so ever, it was about ten tons, just took things extra cautious.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah we tow a lot of cattle and horses around with the truck with a gooseneck. I've towed well over the recommended weight on the hitch with no problems what so ever, it was about ten tons, just took things extra cautious.
yea were in suburban/urban nj so we dont do that shit... we do alota like home depot / lowes typa runs ... like sheds n shit, dump some scrap metal at the scrap metal lot, throw quads in the bed , bikes,

he drives like 100 miles a day to n from work so it gets liek 18 mpg so its not bad

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another question, does anyone buy the optional trailer rental insurance (from U-haul)? They are charging $25 for two days, up to $10,000 in personal damage. Just wondering if I should get it? Trailering two bikes, my r6 and a fz6r.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts