Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have trouble loading/unloading my r6 into my truck bed on my own and do not want to risk dropping it. I was looking for low cost ways other than a step ladder and ramp for trailing it. Does anyone have experience with the horizontal carriers that hitch to back of truck? I am considering something like this one pictured and am wondering what people experiences/opinions are. Or any other ideas? I was considering a winch attached to top of truck bed behind window with a remote I could control while handling bike up the ramp. Id rather spend the money on something similar to what I linked. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Hey...watch this
558 Posts
For what you would spend for that, you could buy a cheap (used) Harbor Freight trailer. You'll be glad you did. Easier on the bike and you can use it for so many other things.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
For what you would spend for that, you could buy a cheap (used) Harbor Freight trailer. You'll be glad you did. Easier on the bike and you can use it for so many other things.
How are the wheel bearings on those Harbor Freight trailers? I don't always trust Harbor Freight Products, and rolling down a highway at 60mph with one of their trailers would make me nervous, haha.

Oh and just read they actually recalled their trailers do to tire issues.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
How are the wheel bearings on those Harbor Freight trailers? I don't always trust Harbor Freight Products, and rolling down a highway at 60mph with one of their trailers would make me nervous, haha.

They are "ok" if you happen to catch em on sale and dont need to use it that often. I would definitely get the upgrade 15" wheels if you plan on doing some highway driving. If youre just driving around town the 12" wheels are fine.

What cracked me up was a buddy of mine was too cheap to buy a proper $600 open trailer and opted for the HF one. Then put a pitbull restraint system on it. That cost more than the trailer! :D He was toying with the idea of "enclosing" one...lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
They aren't for sale right now because of a recall, would recommend the Ironton option from the other thread.

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
A trailer is much more versatile. I used a Black widow carrier when I had a SUV. The thing is solid as a rock. I just used it for dirt bike hauling but a buddy takes his Triumph to the Dragon on one annually.

Sucks they stopped selling them. I used one for years and years. Towed my bike all over the east coast. I think one mistake people make is not packing the bearings when they are new. They were barely lubed on mine. Every year I pulled the hubs and repacked the grease. Never had a problem and the new owner is still using it.

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Good point on the weight. Your vehicle needs to be capable of a 500 pound tongue weight (per the owners manual, not what is printed on the hitch) for carting around the R6.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
Versahaul
They make one for sport bikes, have used it for years with heavier bikes than R6.
Keep in mind you need some kind of full sized truck to tow safely.
Front will get real light if wheelbase is short or suspension too soft.

d
uh no way. I have 55RO unit and I wouldn't trust it on the highway without the modifications I did to it. So you'd be looking at $850+ easy and your application would be limited vs a trailer. Not to mention if the vehicle has adequate tongue capacity. Youre effectively adding a 600+ lb ballast to the rear of a vehicle.

And for the record I have used the versa hauler and harbor freight trailer together.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If i could do it over again, I would get an enclosed trailer. I bought a New 5x10 utility trailer from Tractor Supply. It was roughy $900 bucks. It came with pressured treated ply wood. I added two Cycle Gear Track Side motorcycle chocks.

As an aside, that photo is when we first got to the track Saturday afternoon (rode Sunday and Monday). Didn't have time to unload the bikes and the air ambulance was landing out in the field next to where we parked at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one of these, single and double yoke... not cheap but works great with ratchet straps (high quality)

just youtube trailer in a bag

rhody

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used a HF trailer for 2 years without a single issue.
Smalls and I used to live in the same area and he actually had/has (do you still have that trailer, Smalls?) a much newer HF trailer than myself. I've dragged that thing everywhere @70-80mph and it's been great. Keep the wheel bearings adjusted (it literally takes less than a min to check both of them), grease them regularly (I do mine at the beginning of every year) and make sure you load it as evenly as you can. I've done several 1000mi trips moving my R1 around, I've had 2 R1's on it during a 700mi trip (350 each way) and the last few years I've had it absolutely packed. My R1 in the center on the Pitbull TRS, 2 milk crates with 5gal race gas jugs on either side, ttr90 on the left of it facing backwards and Yamaha 2000 genny/inverter on the right just behind those crates. A diamond plate pickup bedbox bolted to the front (packed with tools, ramp, warmers, spare parts and fluids, 100' ext. cord and 2 med kits), a pedal bike on top of the box. Behind the ttr and my genny are the folding chairs, 12x12 pop up. Then I strap my stands against the rear tire of the R1. I'd post pics, but I apparently don't have enough posts. But ask Smalls...this thing takes a beating for a little 4x8 harbor freight trailer

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
I used a HF trailer for 2 years without a single issue.
Smalls and I used to live in the same area and he actually had/has (do you still have that trailer, Smalls?) a much newer HF trailer than myself. I've dragged that thing everywhere @70-80mph and it's been great. Keep the wheel bearings adjusted (it literally takes less than a min to check both of them), grease them regularly (I do mine at the beginning of every year) and make sure you load it as evenly as you can. I've done several 1000mi trips moving my R1 around, I've had 2 R1's on it during a 700mi trip (350 each way) and the last few years I've had it absolutely packed. My R1 in the center on the Pitbull TRS, 2 milk crates with 5gal race gas jugs on either side, ttr90 on the left of it facing backwards and Yamaha 2000 genny/inverter on the right just behind those crates. A diamond plate pickup bedbox bolted to the front (packed with tools, ramp, warmers, spare parts and fluids, 100' ext. cord and 2 med kits), a pedal bike on top of the box. Behind the ttr and my genny are the folding chairs, 12x12 pop up. Then I strap my stands against the rear tire of the R1. I'd post pics, but I apparently don't have enough posts. But ask Smalls...this thing takes a beating for a little 4x8 harbor freight trailer
:fact to all of it. This is how my trailer looked going to a trackday. PJ's is a little fancier with a toolbox up front.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Used to be about 1.5-2hrs away. The place is super expensive and not many events throughout the year at all. Kind of a bummer but an absolute blast of a track.

When I was up there for that event in June..it became really expensive. Going into T5 on the last lap. Going from the fastest section of the track (170ish) to the second slowest section of the track (30-40ish?). The guy behind me REALLY wanted 3rd place, apparently more than I deserved. Well he ran out of talent in the braking zone and took me right out. By me I meant ME. I set up for the corner and just started to tip in when he clipped me clean off the bike while the bike continued on and barreled straight into the hay bales. Started the hay on fire and everything.

Anyway, the HF trailers really aren't that bad at all. Take care of them and check them out frequently to assure they're in good working order. This will actually be my first year without using the good ole Harbor Freight trailer since I just purchased a 24' shuttle bus. So if anybody is looking for one of those trailers *cough cough op @telamont * I'll sell it. 4x8, spare tire, spare set of wheel bearings and races (thought they'd be a problem but apparently not), aluminum diamond plate bed box, led tail/brake lights, new wiring (4 wire individually insulated, then insulated as a group, then ran inside tubing to prevent corrosion and rodents eating them)...tongue jack..I'm sure there's more. If that truck bed thing doesn't work out, lemme know ;)

·
Motorcycles rock!!
133 Posts
I have owned several small open trailers, an enclosed trailer and a VersaHaul. Each has its own +'s and -'s.

If you do not have space for a trailer, the VersaHaul has a distinct advantage. I got mine for free, so you can't beat the price. I hauled an R1 with it that was 6 hours away. I have also used it for track days. I have never had an issue with it and it takes up almost no space in the garage due to its little footprint. We have also used it to haul a CRF250R and a CRF80F together. You have to be able to handle the tongue weight and it does not provide any additional storage.

Enclosed trailers are nice since they are enclosed, but I never used mine for yard waste, etc.

Open trailers have provided the most utility for me over the years because they get used for things other than motorcycles. Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts