Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen it done? it's a lot further back and would only take a couple of L shaped mounting brackets. i think it would be a nice, clean look. it seems like there's plenty of room for the lock nuts between the tire and hugger, but would there be enough room when the rear spring is completely compressed. i would obviously hate to have my plate scratch up my undertail. i'll post a quick how-to if i get good feedback and end up doing it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did this a couple weeks ago. I just cut out some black diamond plate that I bought at a local store and mounted it to the hugger. I used the diamond plate so i could bend it since when my girlfriend is on the bike or I have my tail bag on the license plate could have hit. It looks sweet but it is definitely not visible from behind, especially if you tilt it down like you have to. I'm going to leave it how it is and if I get hassled by the cops, I'll just move it up to the brake light. I can post pics if you want, let me know.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i'd like to see it. thanks! i didn't wanna drill into the hugger and end up not liking it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually didn't drill into the hugger. I mounted it to the middle bolt on the hugger. I have an 06 so I don't know what it's like on other years. I will get some pics in the morning when it's light outside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are the pics I promised. I would have liked the bike to be a tad cleaner before I posted pics, but my buddy and I just got back from an 800 mile road trip to Montana. I promise it's usually cleaner.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
Here are the pics I promised. I would have liked the bike to be a tad cleaner before I posted pics, but my buddy and I just got back from an 800 mile road trip to Montana. I promise it's usually cleaner.
*fail*

no pics :popcorn:

but a friend of mine also rocks his like that on his 06. What year bike are you looking to do that to?

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

hmmm looks pretty good. i'm not sure if i really like the angle but i know it's necessary to clear the undertail. decisions, decisions. thanks for posting the pics - and nicely done!

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
Here is your solution

Free and fast. Not the best pic of it but you get the idea.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
2 black rivets that are under there already are perfect for a NV plate, i am pretty sure they are all the same size in the US

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just take the rivets out and put the plate up to it and then put the rivets back in it. or do you need a back plate for the actual license?

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
take em out, put the plate up and push em back in. its 'almost' like thats what they had in mind.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, then u just bend it down. i was thinking of doing that, too. never got pulled over for that?

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
not for that, for plenty of other things with it like that though. This pics shows its a pretty good angle from behind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice, I like the look of that. Sweet bike. I'm going to have to see if that will work with my plate, hopefully it's not different.

Thanks for the good pics

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
Thanks for the compliments.

I was stocked when i figured this out one day, not only does it clean up the undertail tremendously, its easy to remove for trackdays and if need be i can reach up under there and pull it up so you cant read it if being followed :sing

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
The hugger more protects your suspension from rocks etc that get stuck to the tire the full rotation. My undertail is still pretty clean, rocks are inevitable hugger or no hugger.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts