Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Moving to U.K. from U.S. Motorcycle restriction laws?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rethdog 
#1 ·
Hi! Not sure if this is the right place to put this but there didn't seem to be a better place to post this as this is my first time using this forum. I'm moving to the U.K. from the U.S. to study abroad next Autumn and was wondering about the motorcycle cc restriction laws over there. Since I've already got experience riding 600cc bikes over in the U.S, would there be exceptions for foreign riders with prior experience or would I be ineligible to get the proper licenses to ride it over there from cc restrictions. It seems like they mainly have restrictions based on age and experience. I'm 18 and have almost two years of riding experience and I've got a 2004 Yamaha R6. I've also taken safety courses that are offered in my state if that makes a difference in terms of eligibility. My apologies if this is a simple or obvious question. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
your license is valid in the uk.

insurance might be more expensive without the uk license, may want to pass your test in the uk. US car drivers typically struggle to pass their uk test due to the fact you have to pass with a stick to drive a stick, most cars are stick, clearly you won't have this issue.

you will find the general standard of driving much better than the US (death rate is much lower), lane discipline will be observed, and absolutely no undertaking, but they won't even care if you loan split, just pass on the right, don't sneak pass on the left.

this is coming from a brit who has lived in the US for 15 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.