Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding the 300 here in Thailand for the last year. It's pretty chaotic compared to the states to say the least. Thinking about the new '17 R6 or a '16 R1S to buy in the states when I get back in a few months.. I can get either for almost the same price. Just wondering if I should skip the R6 or not? I wouldn't mind either bike since I think they're both sexy.. Any thoughts?

·
2004 R6 Limited Edition
6 Posts
I will say I've have a 2004 R6 (original owner) and it's still something I ride regularly. I've never felt the need to upgrade to a R1 as the R6 is quite powerful. I live in southern california and there are many canyons down here to ride fast through.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will say I've have a 2004 R6 (original owner) and it's still something I ride regularly. I've never felt the need to upgrade to a R1 as the R6 is quite powerful. I live in southern california and there are many canyons down here to ride fast through.
What part of SoCal are you from? I'm in SD and want to find a riding group or something like it.

·
Rides his 6 like a cowboy
155 Posts
I'm in the sd area and know of local rides every week from bikenights around town and weeken groups that hit up palomar and telegraph canyon

What kind of riding do you like to do are you new to riding?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm pretty new to riding. I took the motorcycle safety program basic rider course last summer and wasn't able to get a bike right after. I decided to get one cause it'll be easier on my wife and I since before the bike we only had one car. I haven't gone up to the canyons yet since I'm still feeling out my bike.

·
Rides his 6 like a cowboy
155 Posts
Yeah a lot of my buddy's hit up cyclegear then solow Cali ride after. Just take it slow get comfy before you start doing bigger rides or just follow in the back. There's a few rider pages on facebook where people will randomly put smaller rides and group rides also (San Diego riders, ride San Diego, real riders of San Diego) yes there's a lot with mainly all the same people 😂

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys. I was born and raised in OC Socal. I'll be going back and forth from there and Texas. Hopefully I can ride with some of you guys in the future.

·
Boom!!
11 Posts
Been riding the 300 here in Thailand for the last year. It's pretty chaotic compared to the states to say the least. Thinking about the new '17 R6 or a '16 R1S to buy in the states when I get back in a few months.. I can get either for almost the same price. Just wondering if I should skip the R6 or not? I wouldn't mind either bike since I think they're both sexy.. Any thoughts?
I just moved up from the R3 to the R6. Much better in regards to power (obviously). My R3 was more nimble though, so it was a trade off. I decided to make the jump because my commute was mainly highway driving and I needed a little more throttle, and the R6 definitely delivers.

·
2007 R6
5 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike! That is a sexy beast. I love that neon green rim color.

As for your decision, IMO you made the right choice. Starting out on a 250, then to a 650 and now two years with an R6 I have no regrets.

While it's not as nimble as the 250 was, for me it feels far more flickable than the R1s I've ridden. The R1s have that giggle inducing power, especially at low engine speeds when compared to an R6 but I almost feel as if they suffer from having less of a 'hit' up top. I find hitting my R6's peaky power band at 8-10k to be supremely satisfying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations on the new bike! That is a sexy beast. I love that neon green rim color.

As for your decision, IMO you made the right choice. Starting out on a 250, then to a 650 and now two years with an R6 I have no regrets.

While it's not as nimble as the 250 was, for me it feels far more flickable than the R1s I've ridden. The R1s have that giggle inducing power, especially at low engine speeds when compared to an R6 but I almost feel as if they suffer from having less of a 'hit' up top. I find hitting my R6's peaky power band at 8-10k to be supremely satisfying.
Thanks man! Next time I'm in Socal I'm up for a ride I'll be shipping the bike out of state for a while. Ride safe out there!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts