Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I graduated today! We had to ride in the rain for 4 hours but it was worth it. The MSF Basic Rider Course is worth it to any new riders out there. If you have never ridden or have very little experience I recommend it highly. If you plan on using your bike at the track or have track experience, then track days will be a much better use of your $$. I'm in VA and I know here and in a lot of other states if you do not have a license/permit or even a bike you can use this course to get your license. Upon successful completion today I received a card stating that I completed the course which most insurance companies offer discounts for and I got a 30 day temp license that allows me to go to the DMV and skip the knowledge and practical tests to get my "M" endorsement. I have been riding my R6 for a few months on my permit and have just over 600 miles on it before I took the class (I did have a bike previous that I put about 1000 miles on but had to sell it to move here 3 years ago). It was easy with what I already learned but I still learned some useful skills. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. :party

·
I miss the 600cc fun.
219 Posts
250 if your over 21 and i think its 150 or 175 for ages 20 and under for the basic course, I took it and it was well worth the money for me!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was $150 and I'm 27 so it just varies by location. MSF doesn't set a price so the training area can charge what they want.

·
Registered
61 Posts
wow this sounds like a good course, only 250$ to learn some good skills and you get your endorsement upon completion. Did you say you don't even need your learning permit first?

·
Oorah!
1,140 Posts
Yeah i got my straight endorsement 2 days after i took the course. Without having to take the driving test too, just go in there. Take the written test, walk out with the endorsement. And tada, i'm a biker!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$250 is a little high unless they teach you more than I learned. Some places are cycle education places that only teach these courses and they offer different levels of instruction. Those classes are more in depth and are worth the extra $$. The one I took for $150 was at a community college and was the MSF basic course and nothing else. It is a good basic class. They provide helmets and bikes. You must provide full fingered gloves and over the ankle boots and eye protection. You must wear denim or leather pants and long sleeves or a jacket. You do not need a permit as the course teaches you how to ride (the basics). A few people in my class had never even been on a bike and by the end of the 3rd day (classes run 15 hours minimum) they could do tight U-turns and start, shift, brake, and turn at speeds of about 20mph. When I took mine they had a variety of bikes too. All 250cc or lower but there were standard bikes, dual sports, and some 250cc Ninjas. I took my class on a Ninja so the controls and stance were basically the same as my R6. The first day was book work. The second day I took a written test (equivalent to the DMV permit test). Then I rode the rest of the day. The last day I rode some more exercises and then a practice exam with everyone. Then we were all tested individually. The test was the same as the DMV test (actually they said their U-turn box was tighter so it was actually harder). At the end of the class you get a temp license that you take to the DMV for your endorsement. This is in VA. Not all states work the same so you have to check yours. I think some make you still take the DMV test but it should be cake if you do the class. If you already can ride then you'll pass. If you have never ridden...you'll find out if its right for you ($150 is cheaper than $8000).

·
Dual 6's
132 Posts
i took it in MD at a state teaching place, cost 175. Basically the money is worth the hassle of going to get your permit then taking the regular driving test later.

It was almost like buying your licence, everyone in my 24 person class except for one woman passed. And she fell down while taking our final test. It was a little scary the licences they were handing out to people, I KNOW that half of the class would not of passed their written and driving test the first time and I felt like there were at least 6 people that should NOT be allowed on a bike on public highways anytime soon, but o well. Class is an easy route to getting your licence and is really good for someone with little to no experience (i would recommend getting some fimilarity with motorcycles before heading in tho)

Oh and the final 'test' was cake. Had to do a figure 8 in a little box which I did have trouble with.... Then you had to turn, shift up and then brake, and do a wider turn in 2nd gear. Wow, so simple and sooooo much easier than what i heard the regular MVA test consisted of. The written test was simple as hell too, got all 50 right and it took no time at all. Some people kinda struggled but we had ALLLL kinds in the class. I dont think anyone failed the written part, and if you did, they let you take it again after they tell you which questions you get wrong. I think you could miss 8 out of 50 and pass

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Wow, I really like Pennsylvania! They only charged me $10 for the cost of the license. They even supplied the motorcycles and helmets.

·
My R6 eats yours!!!
369 Posts
I graduated today! We had to ride in the rain for 4 hours but it was worth it. The MSF Basic Rider Course is worth it to any new riders out there. If you have never ridden or have very little experience I recommend it highly. If you plan on using your bike at the track or have track experience, then track days will be a much better use of your $$. I'm in VA and I know here and in a lot of other states if you do not have a license/permit or even a bike you can use this course to get your license. Upon successful completion today I received a card stating that I completed the course which most insurance companies offer discounts for and I got a 30 day temp license that allows me to go to the DMV and skip the knowledge and practical tests to get my "M" endorsement. I have been riding my R6 for a few months on my permit and have just over 600 miles on it before I took the class (I did have a bike previous that I put about 1000 miles on but had to sell it to move here 3 years ago). It was easy with what I already learned but I still learned some useful skills. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. :party
Some businesses also give you a discount if you show the card you got. :D Just a Fyi

·
Dual 6's
132 Posts
Wow, I really like Pennsylvania! They only charged me $10 for the cost of the license. They even supplied the motorcycles and helmets.
Ouch, cost 175 here, plus another 40 or 45 when you take the voucher to the MVA and they print you out your new licence. All gear was provided but still... PA sounds generous

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats very interesting. I lived in PA with my first bike and the DMV didn't offer that when I was there. The cost for the license was $10....but I had to use my bike if I took the exam and there was no training involved.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
WOW!! That's crazy, here in PA the MSF course is FREE and upon completion you get the 30 day temp license until you go to the DMV and have the new stamp put on your current license. And I thought PA had nothing good going for them!!! haha, congrats on passing though, that just means there's one more rider out there that actually cares. :D

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
I just completed yesterday as well I just picked on my endorsement this morning! I CAN NOT WAIT TI RIDE THE SIX TONIGHT!!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thats very interesting. I lived in PA with my first bike and the DMV didn't offer that when I was there. The cost for the license was $10....but I had to use my bike if I took the exam and there was no training involved.
Well, not sure when you lived here, but there is a basic rider course available. They teach everyone as if they've never ridden a motorcycle before.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts