Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Do or do not...
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the MSF course and wanted to pose a question to you all. I passed first of all, 95 on the practical. But in the "box" i put a foot down in the small box. I tried after class on the R6 in the "big" box and still couldnt get it down. Wondering if anyone else had this issue or could give me some tips. Thou I spose it doesn't really matter, I am somewhat of a perfectionist and want to get this down pat.

·
Registered
255 Posts
the part that really clicked for me was to turn my head (not my body) and look where I want to go. an r6 doesn't like turning sharp at low speeds but my tank of a vulcan could do it with ease. (sharper turn radius). i wouldn't worry about it. how often do you make a u turn in one lane?

·
Ride Like the Wind
32 Posts
i too am like you. After the class i went back and practiced the box on my r6, and it took me some time, but now i can do it even in the smaller box. The trick is really getting your weight to the outside, alot of it, and keeping some speed up. Its wierd having the bike full lock but you just have to get use to it. But i take pride that i can do it now. Just keep working at it and you will get it.

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
I got 100% on the test and -1 on the riding (went 1ft over on the emergency stop distance) but was first in the class. My wife was second with a -3. It was fun because we had a little competition in the class. I wouldn't worry about the u-turn too much though. Unless you practice it regularly, you will still put your foot down from time to time on the street. But the way you do it is not only looking all the way behind you, you also want to keep your eyes up. If you look down you have more of a tendency to put your foot down. I just hate u-turns to the right because the bar hits the tank and it makes it hard to twist the throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts