Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '11 w/stock exhaust & Body Armour race fairings. The belly touches the muffler box. I had put some heat shield - one that comes w/Auctmarts fairings - but that burnt up into ashes in real hot spots after 4 track days.

I don't want further damage to the fairings. Anyone have a suggestion/solution? I will eventually invest in a full exhaust system, but it won't be till at least next year. Since I want to spend the $ on full system, I don't want to spend $ on a y-pipe.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Yep, you have to do either a full system, a midpipe, find larger race glass (No, crappy optimals wont work), or go back to stock plastics.

·
Speedy Claxton
1,768 Posts
'05 header mod? Little work but cheap as shit. You'll have to do something since the 3rd gen box and race glass dont get along.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
i've got an 05 header already pre-fitted with a muffler adapter I'll sell if you want.

works on the 06-07, should still work 08+

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
you could always try some self stick heat shield that you can pick up at an auto store. I have it on my bike and haven't damaged the fairings. Though mine are a different brand

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
a small piece of fiberglass from some leftover insulation should do the trick. i actually used a piece of sound-deadening material that a neighbor had leftover from soundproofing his car. it was some sort of tar-like material with an aluminum backer. worked great...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably start w/stick-on heat shield from auto store if it seems different from what I'm using now. If that don't work, I know where my friend keeps his dynamat. :p Then on to the y-pipe. Then full ti Akra!!! (I wish).

I'd love to go full system rightttt now, but I realized I have to get pc5 or bazzaz on top w/a tune. $$$

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd love to go full system rightttt now, but I realized I have to get pc5 or bazzaz on top w/a tune. $$$
Then you'll be thinking to change the filter, add a quick shifter, etc.....

buying motorcycle parts is the most extreme case of "one leads to another" lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
The kickstand switch will melt down and smolder eventually with the stock can and race fairings.

Ask me how I know. :sing

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The kickstand switch will melt down and smolder eventually with the stock can and race fairings.

Ask me how I know. :sing
Haha. I'll keep an eye on that. The heat softened up the belly, area about the size of a quarter. Looks like it will go thru if I don't keep the heat shield in check.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Then you'll be thinking to change the filter, add a quick shifter, etc.....

buying motorcycle parts is the most extreme case of "one leads to another" lol
Not necessarily. The 08 r6 I had with brake lines, rbf600 fluid, race fairings, -1 front sprocket, upgraded tires, and a bmc race filter was plenty fast enough to keep up with most of the A group riders locally. Ive seen people on stock ones RIPPING. Spend the money on track days, tires, brakes, and the best suspension you can afford.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Spend the money on track days, tires, brakes, and the best suspension you can afford.
I completely agree.... I was just stating how easy it is to fall into the "this would be nice...." and confusing the nice to have's with need to have's.

Spend money on brakes, suspension and tires.... those parts will let you go fast in the corners, where it counts.

And remember: nothing needs to be brand spanking new. I picked up a used Elka from the board and am getting my forks refreshed in a week or two.

If you can be a regular customer at your trackside service shop and you'll get good deals and a great rep. I've established good enough respect that I can pick up needed parts or tires on race weekend from my shop guy and pay for them a month or two later at the next race meet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts