Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is a double decker question for the 08-16 models. My repair manual isn’t much help or can’t seem to find it but does anyone know what the specs are on the coils? I am suspecting that one more more might be bad. Also I have watched several videos on MM use but really unsure on what it has to be set on (2K?) and doesn’t really help me much that not one is the type I am using. One more thing, should I use a 5/8 or a 16mm socket to remove spark plugs? I using the said 5/8 and well set, just doesn’t want to budge (just ordered a plug tool) and bit concerned about breaking it off so on hold for time being.
Sports equipment Audio equipment Camera accessory Home appliance Gadget

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Directly from the service manual (“that isn’t help….”)
View attachment 379078
For the primary measurement you’d use the 200 ohm range. For the secondary coil measurement you’d use the 20k ohm range. Basically you use the closest setting higher than you expect the reading to be.
Thanks. All I could find online since posting that was one for a R6s and the repair book I have doesn’t give out specs or I couldn’t find it. If I tested right, the primary one was roughly 1.6 to 1.8.

Secondary was roughly between (cold)5.77 and 6.10 warm (set outside in heat for short bit)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Pattern Art
So So i did some testing both cold and fairly warm and this is what I came up with. To me it looks like the coils are still in decent working condition but need a more experience eye/mind on this one. Now, just to get those damn spark plugs out

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The primary numbers you have may look like they are too high, but at the low setting, put the leads together and read the resistance of the leads. Likely, you wil see .3-.4 ohms. Subtract that from the reading, and you are probably aroun 1.2 ohms. That would be close enough.

What makes you suspect bad coils? Have you sprayed water on the headers with a spray bottle to be sure they are getting hot evenly? If one seems “cooler” than the others, swap that coil with one of the hotter ones and repeat the test to see if the issue follows the coil or stays with that cylinder. If it stays put, then your issue is not the coil. It could be a spark plug, or tight valve lash, or injector, or a host of other issues. Eliminate the coil first with the water spritz test.
After I installed my full headers (stock header with M4 Y pipe) I have noticed acceleration hesitation at times when leaving from a dead stop and sometimes when accelerating at higher speeds but less of pause as from dead stop. The suspected coils or even spark plugs were mentioned and since had same ones since 2014 when I bought it, figured it’s time to swap em.My ecu hasn’t been re-flashed since I did cat delete and is currently at shop waiting to be done. I’ll try the water bottle trick once I get it back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts