Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've owned my bike for a few years now and have improved quite a bit over the years. I am always looking to get better though. I recently picked up the Riding Tips magazine that Sport Rider had out, just to brush up on things. I want to start doing track days and I'm sure that will help. Here is my problem, I have a mx background and I have a bad habit to wanting to lean the bike into a corner at a steeper angle than my body. I think the main reason is that it is embedded in my head in MX racing, to weight the outside peg. Is that simply not important on sportbikes, to do that? I have never felt like I can fully commit to the body position that would let me actually 'knee drag' and it really is because of the MX mentality. It doesn't really matter much on the street , as I have been able to stick with all my buddies to ride the streets, but I feel like I need to break the habit for the track. Any tips? Thanks.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Youre overthinking it.
:fact
Me and him both came from a mx background. I assume you can ride decent, so just get out there scoot your ass off the tank and put one ass check off the side. Then get your face where your mirror is.

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
OP, when you're working on you body position, cause riding crossed up can easily lead to low-sides, you should focus on bending your inside elbow. It will force your upper body into the correct position. I find it much easier to focus on ONE thing at a time. If all you think about it bending that elbow you'll be pulling yourself into the right position all day!

:fact
Me and him both came from a mx background. I assume you can ride decent, so just get out there scoot your ass off the tank and put one ass check off the side. Then get your face where your mirror is.
It didn't take you more than a couple sessions and your body position was great!

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
OP, when you're working on you body position, cause riding crossed up can easily lead to low-sides, you should focus on bending your inside elbow. It will force your upper body into the correct position. I find it much easier to focus on ONE thing at a time. If all you think about it bending that elbow you'll be pulling yourself into the right position all day!

It didn't take you more than a couple sessions and your body position was great!
Bending that inside elbow helps a lot.

I could have done better if I had known to scoot off the tank. I had my dick stuck to the tank the whole day lol.

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
MX here too. It was super weird for me to get used to it also.. Seat time & practice. Youll get used to it :)

Sent from space

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, low-siding is my main concern. It's just hard for me to get confident gettin my body positioning to the inside (butt off the seat, head up by the mirror etc) when once a week, I am doing the opposite with my mx bike to keep it from lowsiding (as in, letting the bike lay at a flatter angle than my body and focusing on weighting the higher/outside peg). I think it's just a mental hurdle.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Right, its just a mental hurdle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts