Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wondering if I could get some advice on where to start looking for the problem. I was riding my R6 and going down a hill when all of the sudden it started to cut out and when I got to the bottom of the hill it just died. I went to turn it off and back on and at first it wanted to turn over and go again but then after that it doesn't even turn over. When I go to turn the key on I hear 1 click which is unusual because I just hear a few clicks because the fuel pump is turning on but I don't even hear that anymore. When I push the start button I don't get anything. Not even a click like it's a dead battery, just nothing. I check all the fuses and they are fine. Any idea on where I should start looking?

BRR

·
Life on an apex
49 Posts
Not even a click like it's a dead battery, just nothing.
You may have answered your own question there :)
When you put the ignition on do the clocks light up?
When you press the start button do the clocks go dim?

Give the battery a charge and see if it runs...
It could be a dodgy battery or your alternator. If it died while riding I would think the alternator but don't quote me.

We can rule out a lack of fuel if you aren't hearing any attempt to start with the start button.

EDIT: Just thought it could be the regulator instead of the alternator - worth a read: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103512

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I took my battery to autozone and had them test it and they said the battery is fine and charged. So I don't think it's the alternator. plugged the battery onto my trickle charger and it said it was charged in about 10 mins too. So I hooked it up and tried to start it. Nothing. The lights do not dim or anything when I go to start it either. However, I noticed now that something is different when I turn it on. My bike has always ran with the nuetral light on. I figured it was something with the kickstand censor since it was cut and taped off from the guy I got it from, but it still ran so I didn't think anything of it. However, now it is not on?! Could this be a reason for it not wanting to start at all? If so, what should I look at to figure it out?

Thanks,
BRR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I did so more wrenching on my bike and found out that the wires to the kickstand are cut off and taped together. The neutral switch doesn't have any wires connected to it at all. It ran fine for all of this too so it's not either of those switches. The guy I bought it from looks like he bypassed them both. So I tried the old trick of putting a wrench on the starter relay terminals to see if I could get it then. It turned over and wanted to start but it never did. What other switch affects the neutral light. If I can find that I think I've found my problem because as I said in previous post, my neutral light was always on and now its not. Any help would be appreciated!!!

BRR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got playing around with the bike again tonight and I came up with a very newbie question but I just want to double check. This time I tested the stator and I think I found my problem, however I would like conformation. I have the multimeter dial set at 200 ohms and when I put the positive lead into the top of the triangle wire harness and either of the bottom 2 spots my meter gives me a reading that winds down from 6 to .6 in a matter of seconds. I put the 2 leads together to see what the difference is and it comes out to be .3. So if I subtract that from my readings I get around .2-.3ish. Is this acceptable?

This is the multimeter I have:
http://our67mustang.com/blog/images/how-to/multimeter_continuity_no_lg.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm thinking that my starter circuit cutoff got toasted. Anyone have one for sale? Part # is 5EB-81950-20. Or does anyone know if any other part is compatible with that one. Looks like they at $75 :O

BRR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so how does a person know if they fried their CDI unit? My buddy and I are testing a lot of the electrical connectors and we are stumped. I can not get it to turn over unless I cross the starter relay. I ordered a starter relay cutoff circuit and I'll try that out, but I don't think that's the problem anymore. Could it be the CDI unit or maybe the whole starter motor? But wouldn't it try to turn over if it was the starter motor? I get absolutely nothing when I push the start switch. When I turn the ignition on I can hear the fuel pump go and a few other clicks but that's it. Please anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,
BRR

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
I wouldn't think it's anything as complicated as the CDI.

The problem you first described is the bike not wanting to run, even when it was started. Now that its off, it won't start again either. My guess is it's something in the running circuit. The first things to check would be the neutral switch, the kickstand switch, and the ignition. The bike won't run if:

1) The bike is in gear and the clutch isn't pulled in
2) The bike is in gear and the kickstand is down
3) The ignition isn't turned on

Since the kickstand switch has been messed with, I'd start there. Does it close/open the circuit when it's pressed in/released? Do things work if you bypass it? (sounds like someone already tried to permanently do that)

Then I'd check the neutral switch. Does it close/open the circuit when it's changed? Do things work when you bypass it?

Then check the ignition switch. There might be a loose connection that's breaking the circuit as you hit bumps. Does the dash light up when you turn the key on? Are all the wires solidly connected?

With those things working the bike should at least fire if you bump start it. If the bike still doesn't start on it's own, you have some more things to test.

Does the starter switch work? Grab a continuity tester and make sure it's completing the circuit when it's pushed in.

Does the starting relay work? Check that it's completing the circuit when power is applied to it. Also check the fuse.

Does the starter motor work? Trying putting 12v directly to it and see if it spins.

Hopefully that helps. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The neutral switch is bypassed just like the kickstand switch and it use to work. The starter switch works, the starting relay works and the motor also works. We tried jumping the starter relay cutoff circuit box last night and then it was able to turn over. I'm suppose to be getting a new one in the mail tomorrow and I'm going to change the spark plugs tonight. I'll let you know if that relay fixes my problem tomorrow. Can't wait :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It turned out to be the starter relay safety circuit after all! Just got the new one in yesterday, plugged it in, and she took off. It started to feel like it wanted to die though when I got down to low RPM so I'm going to change the spark plugs and play with the idle knob. But otherwise, it runs like a champ now!!! Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts