Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a cylinder quit firing on me about 3 weeks ago, I ended up diagnosing it as a bad coil in cylinder # 2. I got a used replacement... put her back together and it ran fine for a couple weeks.

Yesterday I detailed my bike after a cruise and sure enough when I went to move it after i had finished, it has lost a cylinder again. This time it was cylinder #4 so its not the same cylinder or the new coil.

I am wondering if there could be a cause for the bike to eat up coils? Or is it just a coincidence and I need to replace the other 3 anyways.

Could water from washing it be damaging anything? I feel terrible letting water get all down the gauges and under the gas tank, but from what I gather it cant hurt anything unless your using a pressure washer or something.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Mine has pretty much done the same thing. I imagine that about the time you replace the next one, another one will go tits up soon after. I have gone through 3 on my machine. 2 originals and a replacement. Get a whole new set and be glad. Always keep a good spare around as well. I was at a track day when one went bad. I was lucky that a buddy of mine had a spare set of kawi coils sitting around. The 05-06 kawasaki ninja's use the same coils. They are the recalled denso's though, but will work.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I had a cylinder quit firing on me about 3 weeks ago, I ended up diagnosing it as a bad coil in cylinder # 2. I got a used replacement... put her back together and it ran fine for a couple weeks.

Yesterday I detailed my bike after a cruise and sure enough when I went to move it after i had finished, it has lost a cylinder again. This time it was cylinder #4 so its not the same cylinder or the new coil.

I am wondering if there could be a cause for the bike to eat up coils? Or is it just a coincidence and I need to replace the other 3 anyways.

Could water from washing it be damaging anything? I feel terrible letting water get all down the gauges and under the gas tank, but from what I gather it cant hurt anything unless your using a pressure washer or something.
Well, i wouldnt say your bike is 'eating' coils.
2005 bike, you should expect a set of coils to go bad by now if the originals are in there.
Basically its like spark plugs, if you pulled your plugs, found one fouled up, the other not too bad, would you replace just the one causing problems, or replace all 4 to avoid the problems to come?

i recommend replacing all 4 coils at the same time with either a brand new set of coils, or a set from a newer bike that all came off the same bike.
For our 2003-2005 r6 models we are compatable with 06-09 R6S motorcycles.

edit: you need to make sure the coil is pressed all the way on and the rubber boot sits flat on the head. Ive seen pics of people pulling out spark plugs with rust and shit on them that really should not happen. Ive had my bike sit outside during a few storms and still when i pulled the plugs it was clean down in there. If your letting water get in there then yea itll foul the coils quicker.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda figured all 4 needed to be replaced. I was hoping to get by on just replacing the 1 since I am a broke college student and Christmas is right around the corner, but then when the 2nd one went right after a good cleaning I thought perhaps I had n00bed something up. Guess I know what to ask santa for this year.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
yea im in the same boat, school keeps me pretty broke.

coils brand new are ridiculously priced, i bought a set from a 2009 r6s with under 2k on it for less then 40$, just look at salvage yards.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
edit: you need to make sure the coil is pressed all the way on and the rubber boot sits flat on the head. Ive seen pics of people pulling out spark plugs with rust and shit on them that really should not happen. Ive had my bike sit outside during a few storms and still when i pulled the plugs it was clean down in there. If your letting water get in there then yea itll foul the coils quicker.
I made sure they were all totally tight and flush when I was in there... so that shouldn't be the issue. Probably just about that time for all of them to go. I will try and find a set off a bike being parted out or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts