Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I would share for those interested in the route I took. Not quite finished yet but almost done mocking everything up.

First I bought a used 07 headlight assembly and a set of 04 projectors on Ebay.

With the projectors, if you want to have the light shine equally on the high and low beam sides you have to cut the curved tabs out of one of the projectors. Very simple with a dremel tool.

I decided that I wanted to put turn signals in the projectors as well and I found some fog lights at walmart for 19.99 that fit perfectly in the housing. I later found out that Advance Auto parts sells just the bulb and housing (shown below) for like 10 bucks if you don't want all the extra parts you get with the full walmart kit (wiring, nuts bolts, switch, mounting brackets etc...). As you can see they are the perfect diameter. The only down side with these is that you cant remove the bulb, so if it goes out you have to take apart the headlight and replace the whole thing. Also, I will need to spray paint the rear of this bulb housing so that the light from the headlight does not make it invisible. The reflective coating is on the inside of the housing so it shouldn't have any effect on the light output.

Next, I had to find a way to mount the projectors inside my 07 headlight. My original plan was to place the projectors inside the 07 reflector housing and screw in place, similar to what others have done. However I ended up breaking the reflector housing in the process so I made my own bracket/mounting plate. It took me a couple evenings but I think I got the shape right. It lines up good with the hole in the back the headlight assembly and it allows me to use the stock adjustment screws. Now I just need to transfer it to aluminum. The projectors will be held in place by brackets on the underside of the plate. Still working on that part, I have several ideas just need to scour home depot and other places for what I need.

So here is where I am now. Now I need to make the mounting plate out of aluminum (paint it black) and make the cutouts for the adjustment screws and brackets. I need to secure the projectors to the plate (paint the outer housing black) and reassemble headlight. The wiring will still be stock, using stock harness etc. but will be running high and low beam HID (undecided on temp, currently running 3000k), turn signals, strobe lights and angel eyes. I plan to wire the turnsignals to the flushmounts so the operate on the same switch. The strobes and angels will have their own switch, possibly a remote one.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
That is completely different from what I thought you were talking about haha. What car are those projectors out of?

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Not from a car. They are projectors from an 03-05 R6
Oh really? Why do all that work just to put halogen projectors in there? That's esscentially the same thing as just using the stock reflector setup with an HID plug and play kit.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh really? Why do all that work just to put halogen projectors in there? That's esscentially the same thing as just using the stock reflector setup with an HID plug and play kit.
Not sure exactly what you mean. I am putting HID in the projectors for the high and low beams using H7 bulbs and ballasts. As you can see in the pictures there two openings in the projector. One will be for the HID for either the low or high beam and the other for the fog light halogen bulb that I am using as a turn signal.

The reason I am using the projectors is for the ability to focus the light and looks.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Not sure exactly what you mean. I am putting HID in the projectors for the high and low beams using H7 bulbs and ballasts. As you can see in the pictures there two openings in the projector. One will be for the HID for either the low or high beam and the other for the fog light halogen bulb that I am using as a turn signal.

The reason I am using the projectors is for the ability to focus the light and looks.
I was just saying that the projector you are using (the 03-05 R6) is a halogen projector. It wasn't designed for HID and that'll make a difference in how it controls the light output when compared to and OEM projector that was designed for HID lighting.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, yeah thats true. I am not looking for it to be perfect but it will be a whole lot better than my current setup of having HID with the stock 07 reflector. The light goes everywhere. Plus there is a cosmetic aspect to this mod as well.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Oh, yeah thats true. I am not looking for it to be perfect but it will be a whole lot better than my current setup of having HID with the stock 07 reflector. The light goes everywhere. Plus there is a cosmetic aspect to this mod as well.
Makes sense. At least you're not using a plug and play kit with a reflector housing.:yuk:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have seen on this forum and others, people using audi, lexus and other OEM projectors. However, while they maybe technically HID designed they don't look that good inside the headlight assembly in my opinion. It looks too mechanical and thrown together. I chose these projectors to try and keep a stock look and feel. I thought about using OEM HID projectors from a car and fiberglassing a housing so that it looks more natural to the headlight assembly but thats too much work for a nominal gain.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
I have seen on this forum and others, people using audi, lexus and other OEM projectors. However, while they maybe technically HID designed they don't look that good inside the headlight assembly in my opinion. It looks too mechanical and thrown together. I chose these projectors to try and keep a stock look and feel. I thought about using OEM HID projectors from a car and fiberglassing a housing so that it looks more natural to the headlight assembly but thats too much work for a nominal gain.
Yea I agree that it looks a little goofy when just the plain old projector is in the housing with no shroud or something. I'm using the infinity projectors and I was actually able to find a shroud that fits perfectly to conceal everything....and you'll laugh but it was from a home depot. I doubt that anyone would ever guess that though unless I told them.

This is more or less what I bought. I'm just cone shaped part:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's pretty interesting. I was actually at Lowes earlier and saw some track lighting that reminded me of projectors. Never what have thought of using the housing though, thats cool. Also, I looked at their aluminum sheeting, your right its really thin. They had some steel that was the right thickness but really heavy. I'm thinking I may layer two sheets of the aluminum.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
That's pretty interesting. I was actually at Lowes earlier and saw some track lighting that reminded me of projectors. Never what have thought of using the housing though, thats cool. Also, I looked at their aluminum sheeting, your right its really thin. They had some steel that was the right thickness but really heavy. I'm thinking I may layer two sheets of the aluminum.
hahaha yea I picked up that steel and thought, "hell f-ing no" and put it right back. I bet that would work if you layered the thin aluminum. You could cut each piece slightly small and you'd never be able to see the sheets that are behind the front one.

The guy I picked this aluminum up from yesterday is a machinist and I guess he's invented stuff in the past. Mainly for Mustangs and stuff, but apparently he's been in several different magazines....many different times. Anyways, he mentioned that he'd be able to take my template and CNC them for me. Talk about badass....I'm seriously thinking of taking him up on that.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Update:
Ok, I got some aluminum from Lowes and cut out my mounting plate using my cardboard template.

Next I took the stock 07 brackets that attached the reflector bucket to the adjustment screws and attached them to the rear of my new aluminum plate. I then set the projectors in the hole of the plate and screwed it in place with some well placed screws (forgot to take picture of this but will post later).

Next I put everthing together to check for fitment and this is what it looks like now.

Everthing lines up in the back with the dust cap so that I can change the blubs. I can also adjust the angle with the adjustment screws. Not as much as I would like but its decent, there just isn't enough room with these projectors. Also, as you can see in the pics the headlight housing cuts across the top portion of one of the projectors. Due to limited space and wanting to line up things in the rear, I couldn't avoid it. However I don't think it will be a problem. It should help cut the light from the HID and prevent it from blinding other riders and cagers. I plan to have both low and high beam on at the same time with the same light output.

Next up is to spray paint the mounting plate with some high temp black paint or I may powder coat it black, not sure. Once that is done I need mount the angel eyes, put everything together and repeat on the other side. Hope to have pics of everything painted, mounted and ready for testing by next week.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Did you end up layering that aluminum?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2nd Update:

Ok here is everything fully mocked up, high beam and low beam with angel eyes. Now all I have to do is tear everything down, paint it, run and solder all the wiring and hope I can put it all back together again.

The pics below aren't that great cause I had to use my cell phone. But the light shown is from the angel eyes, the camera just shows bright light but in person you can clearly see the rings.

·
Fancy crotch smell
368 Posts
those look pretty freaking awesome :yes Good job!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts