Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CMRA#296
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I didn't do it, which sucks worse in some ways. We leant my bike to my boyfriend's friend for CMRA licensing (the friend is from out of town, was having trouble with his). He did great all day long. Then he lost his mind for the mock race and the bike did a low side, then tumbled nose-tail-nose-tail...nose-tail? I heard it was three times. We know, and knew, that he's good for it, not the issue at all. And heck, maybe I'll come out better off at the end of this because either this bike will be better, or we'll get a better one (newer or more tracked out). So, I've gone from angry to sad for me then sad for him (he could have had a really great weekend, and was expecting to) but now frustrated since we'll need to deal with this.

Here's what we know we need, so if you have any parts, we'd be willing to help you empty your garage. We're in the Houston area but attend track events. Our next one is TWS! :D
tank, can be 03-05 R6, 06-09 R6S (dented, will just look better if it's replaced but didn't leak at all!)
fairing stay, can be 03-05 R6, only those due to knew body style before and after (snapped near neck of frame, and side of low side incident)
subframe, can be 03-05 R6, 06-09 R6S (flimsy part has two breaks, solid part is still good :/
brake reservoir (gone!)
throttle cable push , can be 1995-2005 R6 (it has a bubble in it)
battery, model YT9B-4 (my lithium made it through the wreck, but then we took it out for the team bike, LOL). Since we're likely going to sell it, would rather get a battery good enough to get them going. They can buy their own lithium, I'll send them to jred :)

We have yet to dig deep into the bike, so we may yet need to add to the list above :(

Other damage but we have these parts already covered:
-90-degree bend in Vortex rear set! He's lucky he didn't break his ankle (only sprain)
-gear shifting rod (we used the Vortex one, now can put the stock one back on)
-clip ons (getting those from a track friend, he's doing it as a fundraiser for Jennifer, but you can help too without buying clipons http://www.gofundme.com/a6qms0)

Shout out to our friend Bruce for peddling out onto the track for fun, but then stopping to get my plates (windscreen and tail section) AND air dam! He was big time smiling and proud of himself, but he caught me when I was taking out my battery and crying, LOL. It did make me feel better to have them back. :)

Other than that, we know we need to get the forks serviced to make sure they're okay.

Questions
1. It's a Yamaha. What else do we need to look out for? (like, is there a typical break that can happen that we might miss? Something that needs to be checked with the engine?)
2. Would you fix it and get upgrades, or sell it for a newer/more tracked out one? :) (Rodrigo-my boyfriend- is tired of working on bikes, and figures we're better off getting one that already has the stuff we really want)

Here are some images :( It's really not that bad, just painful. BTW, I think that the gear side Vortex rear set saved a lot more damage from happening, such as the forks, etc.

The last time I saw her...le sigh.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's frustrating. Well I have the OEM front brake reservoir but no mounting hardware. And I think I have a Vortex shift rod pre-quickshifter if you want it. I'd recommend just fixing/painting the tank. It's easy and cheap and since it's a track bike you'd be set if you have to do it again (knock on wood). The other thing to check is have the frame blueprinted. The twin spar frame is definitely tougher than the tubulars but you never know.

As for replacing versus repairing, I say repair since it's a track bike and it doesn't seem like you have anything too major. Plus, since it's an 05, used parts should be easy/cheap to come by. What are the other things you want but don't have on it? Like a quickshifter? Traction control? The price of supersports these days is so high, I'd still stick with what you've got rather than drop 5 figures on a new one. Unless you can find one that's a year or two old for cheap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh one other thing, in the pic with your boyfriend's buddy it looks like it's riding pretty low in the back. Did you turn up the preload for him - I'm assuming it's sprung for your weight, and he looks like a big guy? I think he'd need a stiffer spring long term as well.

·
CMRA#296
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh one other thing, in the pic with your boyfriend's buddy it looks like it's riding pretty low in the back. Did you turn up the preload for him - I'm assuming it's sprung for your weight, and he looks like a big guy? I think he'd need a stiffer spring long term as well.
It's actually not even sprung for me, and it has a lowering kit BUT is set to the standard height. He lost the front end by going wide in a dirty area too hot, off camber, and it was the start of what would be the low side then everything else.

I appreciate the advice about possibly keeping the bike and adding the other stuff. On the other hand, it's dependent on how energetic my guy is feeling. He might get more motivated now that elsewhere one of our buddies asked how much we'd sell it for...which sounds as though it's worth keeping because that guy is very knowledgable. :D

817 Posts
I have some things for that bike. Tank, stay, rearset parts, other stuff...
PM me if you're going to repair it. And I would advise proper suspension and set up, the bike isn't sitting correctly. Glad the dude is ok.

·
CMRA#296
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some things for that bike. Tank, stay, rearset parts, other stuff...
PM me if you're going to repair it. And I would advise proper suspension and set up, the bike isn't sitting correctly. Glad the dude is ok.
Cool, I'll get my resources together and start contacting people.

What makes you say the bike isn't sitting correctly? It wasn't ever set for him as he wasn't meant to race it, only complete his track day and mock race..where you can do a princess wave the whole time while going around for your five laps, as long as you don't go down. It does have the Vortex lower on it, but it's set to standard height but it has this funky bolt that is part of the setting...I need to add stock bones while we're at it! (I've got the triangles, but not the bones...fun with parts...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts