1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. Check out my link. racefreakracing.weebly.com

My go pro footage can be seen here.

http://youtu.be/9ZoJe3i1eOs

I started off the first lap pretty weak. I was still shaking off my crash from the practice session right before the race. I didn't get into the correct gear until the end of the first lap just about. I had a blast though. Race was cut short due to red flag. It sure was fun catching up to the liter bikes on the brakes.

·
2 > 4
156 Posts
Just track days for the time being. I am debating about starting WMRRA next summer. It just worked out that this summer I have a bunch of other stuff going on (travel, getting married, etc) so it just didn't make sense to start now.

Keep putting up the videos though. I am curious what a completely dry novice race will look like. The pace of week 1 (at least after watching your footage) isn't much different from an intermediate/advanced track day pace. Granted, conditions weren't ideal (never are for the first race of the season from what I understand), but it gives me hope that I am plenty ready to make the jump to WMRRA.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Did I miss the flag?

One of the more unique starting sequences Ive seen making you keep your hand off the clutch/left bar on the grid for the 2nd wave.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
That is such a sick track! Where is that?! Looks like an incredibly tough track to learn.

Not bad for your first race either! I was even slower then that my first race. But racing really makes you pick up the pace!

:cheers

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts

·
2 > 4
156 Posts
The hand up on the grid is a great way to stop the second wave riders from pulling a Jorge Lorenzo and jumping their start on reflex from a light change :). It may look odd, but it is an effective way to make sure everyone back there is paying attention.

And, The Ridge is a pretty great track. It always surprises me though how video really doesn't give you a sense of the elevation change. To be fair I have done numerous track days there and not until I walked around the track on foot after a track day did I fully comprehend the changes.

As for learning it, it isn't that bad. The hard bit comes with bringing your pace up. A lot of the corners are 'blind' and you can find yourself inadvertently rolling off. There is also a corner that has tendency to unload the tires as your pace increases (turn 3, first hill after the straight) and you have to be very careful to not add much, if any, throttle.

If you get a chance to come out to WA and end up in the Olympia area, you should definitely try out the track. The owner is a great guy and a rider and the track is amazing.

Track map for those interested

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I never messed around with track days. I did NRS school on Saturday and then the trackday on Sunday. That was my only experience at The Ridge. Two weeks later was race day. But racing is the only way you're going to get really fast imo. If you're competitive, you will push yourself and naturally you're going to get faster. Track day was fun, but racing was such a different feeling. It's a great feeling of accomplishment when you're done. Even if I didn't get first, just to battle it out with other racers, and finish the race. That to me, is awesome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts