Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my first trackdays race yesterday. I had a great time and the group of guys that I was with were great. I'm the guy I front of the camera guy. The MRA has a great program for riders who want to get there feet wet. I had a grin from ear to ear. Until I went off the track. The yellow SV took my line (I was going to try a pass, and his brake lights messed me up) and it was either hit him, or go off. Oh well, just chalk it up as lack of experience on my part. In joy the vid.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is no racing at a track day. The only thing you win at a track day is another session. There should be no "racing" at a track day that's how people get hurt.

Edit: Looks like a mock race. They do those at jennings gp. I'm guessing just by the fact you didn't pass on the inside the times you had a chance it was in novice group? Good for you getting on a track just be careful it's more addicting then meth.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Nice! It's cool that they give you a chance to taste how much fun racing is so soon ... but also a little bit scary. :laugh They give you any guidelines on passing or anything?

The guy filming definitely needs to work on his starts, just like me. :)

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It was scary at first. We did go over passing. It's just that the brake lights on the other bike that I wanted to pass freaked me out. I need help with my starts as well. I wheelied my bike as well, and it caught me off guard.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
It was scary at first. We did go over passing. It's just that the brake lights on the other bike that I wanted to pass freaked me out. I need help with my starts as well. I wheelied my bike as well, and it caught me off guard.
Did you guys have any specific passing rules or anything? Most of the racing in SoCal requires some form of new racer school where they spend a day going over all the procedural stuff and make sure you're consistent out on the track and comfortable with getting passed close. I'd be a little nervous to get out there and bomb into turn 1 from a standing start with someone who's only got a few track days under their belt.

The 2nd hand advice I got for race starts from James Rispoli goes something like this:
- Hold revs at 8-10k
- Pin the throttle when the flag drops
- Let the clutch at moderate speed, and modulate it to keep the front wheel on the ground

I have yet to master it - I just feel so bad for my poor clutch, but it definitely get you off the line quickly and using the clutch to keep the wheel down doesn't kill your momentum nearly as much as chopping throttle. It's also basically just one control to worry about, rather than worrying about mixing throttle & clutch (and rear brake?) in the appropriate amounts.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
The 2nd hand advice I got for race starts from James Rispoli goes something like this:
- Hold revs at 8-10k
- Let the clutch at moderate speed, and modulate it to keep the front wheel on the ground
I like this. I will have to remember this. My starts are terrible.

·
Reads the rulez
2,245 Posts
Did you guys have any specific passing rules or anything? Most of the racing in SoCal requires some form of new racer school where they spend a day going over all the procedural stuff and make sure you're consistent out on the track and comfortable with getting passed close. I'd be a little nervous to get out there and bomb into turn 1 from a standing start with someone who's only got a few track days under their belt.

- Hold revs at 8-10k

I have yet to master it - I just feel so bad for my poor clutch, but it definitely get you off the line quickly and using the clutch to keep the wheel down doesn't kill your momentum nearly as much as chopping throttle. It's also basically just one control to worry about, rather than worrying about mixing throttle & clutch (and rear brake?) in the appropriate amounts.
Where does the yut-ugh come into play?

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
- Hold revs at 8-10k

here is me bitching up turn 1 at Tally. This was before DiSalvo fixed me up on corner entry/speed. :lmao

I took my street R6 to the drag strip, last month, just to see how rusty the beams said Id be. I lost alittle clutch technique but after a few passes and realizing I didnt have to do the same thing behind a grid full of bikes... the feel came back. Next 2 racers I straight out raped the grid on the start and was able to get up with the 1st wave(s) by the time we reached turn 1.

The key with ANY bike? You leave at or above "peak" torque to control wheelies. You dont leave at 4k on a 1000cc or 6k on a 600...

By leave I mean "release the clutch". You can hear the audio pretty good on this launch.

You see how much ground I lost letting out?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
here is me bitching up turn 1 at Tally. This was before DiSalvo fixed me up on corner entry/speed. :lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17cXpuUn57g

I took my street R6 to the drag strip, last month, just to see how rusty the beams said Id be. I lost alittle clutch technique but after a few passes and realizing I didnt have to do the same thing behind a grid full of bikes... the feel came back. Next 2 racers I straight out raped the grid on the start and was able to get up with the 1st wave(s) by the time we reached turn 1.

The key with ANY bike? You leave at or above "peak" torque to control wheelies. You dont leave at 4k on a 1000cc or 6k on a 600...

By leave I mean "release the clutch". You can hear the audio pretty good on this launch.

You see how much ground I lost letting out?
Fcuk! That is a killer start. Are you saying you'll get *less* wheelie by launching at a higher rpm (provided you're above peak tq)? There's no way I could let the clutch out as quickly as you did there, without getting a bunch of front wheel in the air, but I think I'm probably more around 6-8k than 8-10k.

Also, I'm confused where you lost ground? Looks like you blasted by everyone in front of you, until braking for T1.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
Fcuk! That is a killer start. Are you saying you'll get *less* wheelie by launching at a higher rpm (provided you're above peak tq)? There's no way I could let the clutch out as quickly as you did there, without getting a bunch of front wheel in the air, but I think I'm probably more around 6-8k than 8-10k.

Also, I'm confused where you lost ground? Looks like you blasted by everyone in front of you, until braking for T1.
I lost ground when I backed off the throttle... like I was done. :lmao You can see where I get passed by the 2 guys on the outside.

Its a combination of leaving hard & having your weight forward. Grip the seat with your thighs and put your self up against the tank. You can put your head above the windscreen. Use your body as a ballast and keep your shift foot up on the peg when leaving so you have an "out" to short shift if you happen to slide back. Id put the tach at 12k... bike makes peak torque around 11k. When the flag/light drops... you pop the clutch to let the bike lurch forward but you dont totally release the lever unless you are sure you are driving off the launch. No point in bringing the rpms up to have them drop back to well below peak torque and bog. Now if you dont want to practice on your big bike... you can do the same thing on a mini bike til you get the feel of the clutch. :secret

You can also practice at a drag strip for about $25 or so at a test & tune. Then you will have an actual # to see if your technique is improving.
My short times were 1.78-1.84 on a stock R6. With a smaller countershaft...chopped it down to a 1.63. Still have another 1/10th to go

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mad launching skills. I will try and take my R6 to the drag strip this summer to try and get some practice. All I could think about was looping the bike at the start and getting hit by someone behind me. It's a mental game that I need to get over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts