Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's Sunday June 10th at Putnam Park. I'll be trailering the bike, extra 5-gal fuel, 10x10 awning, air tank, tools, and a cooler full of water. What else should I bring?
Also what should I expect? It's being held by a local bike shop. They have 3 different classes of which I'm riding novice. :D All I want to do is have fun and learn something without wrecking. :sing

·
Go SOX'S
361 Posts
amke sure tires are good along with front brakes, rear aren't as important but still need to be checked regardless. shouldnt have too many things safety wired or none at all depending on what their guidelines are. and above all just have fun.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
food. putnam subs out the consession stand to a caterer now. the price is super high.
example a hot dog, that's right I said one hot dog is $5. fooking nuts.
Penut butter and Jelly time! haha.

don't forget chairs. all your gear. and the Bike KEY!!!! the single most important thing.
I ditched the air tank thing and bought a bike tire pump. you are only adding a few PSI anyway. no need to lug around a big heavy tank too. well, it does help hold the canopy down.

I was thinking of joining you with the commonwealth guys but damn, $215 for a trackday at putnam? sounds high to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blue03r6 said:
food. putnam subs out the consession stand to a caterer now. the price is super high.
example a hot dog, that's right I said one hot dog is $5. fooking nuts.
Penut butter and Jelly time! haha.

don't forget chairs. all your gear. and the Bike KEY!!!! the single most important thing.
I ditched the air tank thing and bought a bike tire pump. you are only adding a few PSI anyway. no need to lug around a big heavy tank too. well, it does help hold the canopy down.

I was thinking of joining you with the commonwealth guys but damn, $215 for a trackday at putnam? sounds high to me.
I was told by Joe at commonwealth that it will be $175 day of if anyone comes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i normally go for weekends, so i usually take a pillow and blankets and somewhere to sleep ofcourse. but if its for a day, then just food water, maybe tire warmers if you got them, but then you would need a generator. or atleast an outlet. stay hydrated! and have fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The day went great! I got my knees down for the first time. :D I learned so much and had a lot of fun. Definitely will do it again!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Man that sounds fun, is there anywhere in KY to do a trackday???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ChrisV said:
Man that sounds fun, is there anywhere in KY to do a trackday???
Not that I know of. Putnam is about the closest. It would be sweet to have one locally, but I would be broke all the time. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
all t racks are out in the middle of no where cause of regulations and what nots. soooo, youll be lucky to have a signal for your phone :) unless you live out in the sticks by them they not gonna be local.. i go from chicago out to rockford, michigan, and wisconsin,thinkin about going to daytona, but thats a crap load of loot that i dont wanna spend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a CD of images coming. Here are a couple samples:

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
You look great for your first track day bro.. Nice!

But ill give you some advice because I just cant help myself.
Get your head out from behind that windscreen when you hang off like that. Your upper body is a alot more weight than your lower body and it is important to get your head and upper body off the side of the bike as well. It took me alot more track days than jsut one to finally get my head to lead the bike even a little bit and I still could do better at it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jrock7896 said:
You look great for your first track day bro.. Nice!

But ill give you some advice because I just cant help myself.
Get your head out from behind that windscreen when you hang off like that. Your upper body is a alot more weight than your lower body and it is important to get your head and upper body off the side of the bike as well. It took me alot more track days than jsut one to finally get my head to lead the bike even a little bit and I still could do better at it.

Thanks for the advice. As a matter of fact that was the one piece of advice the instructor gave me that morning that made the most difference in my riding. I was doing it really well at first then started slacking off as the day wore on. Then I started really focusing on that again towards the end of the day and as soon as I did I noticed my knee started dragging alot more. lol It's hard to concentrate on multiple things at once but that was the one that made the most difference.

thanks!
Jeremy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
622 Posts
you lucky bastard! haha looks like you got your monies worth. i still can't wait to get on the dang track. your pix's look great. any advice or insight or thoughts after your first track day? esp for someone who has not gone yet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
R6aven said:
you lucky bastard! haha looks like you got your monies worth. i still can't wait to get on the dang track. your pix's look great. any advice or insight or thoughts after your first track day? esp for someone who has not gone yet?
Yeah, bring lots and lots of water. After every 20 minute session I was dehydrated. And it wasn't even that hot outside. Maybe high 70's with a nice cool breeze and low humidity. I must have drank 5 or 6 bottles of water at least.

I had a lot of fun. I'm going to try to make another one in July. :)

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
let me know which group you are doing. I just have to get back to putnam sometime soon!!!!
I hate pics coming out of turn 10. you can be doing 90 and still not touch a knee so it looks like you're slow :D

see what I mean, I do almost exactly 85-90 in that turn every time and it looks slow. and at that point I'm around 75% open throttle too.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
blue03r6 said:
let me know which group you are doing. I just have to get back to putnam sometime soon!!!!
I hate pics coming out of turn 10. you can be doing 90 and still not touch a knee so it looks like you're slow :D

see what I mean, I do almost exactly 85-90 in that turn every time and it looks slow. and at that point I'm around 75% open throttle too.

You are exactly right! I actually got my knee down there one pass but I was hauling balls. They need to take pics on Dead Bear. I can drag knee all the way around that one. :) lol

I'll be in the intermediate next time. Not because I think I'm that damn good or anything but the rest of the people in novice were really really slow and I kept getting stuck behind a group of 4 or 5 that I couldn't pass on the straightaways. I will try to hit another one in July sometime. I'll shoot you a PM when I do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts