Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Power isn't everything
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
woow!! it was amazing ! it was willow springs the big track just yesterday!. i realized how great my machine was!! my buddy in his cbr1k thought he was bad cuz he kept passing me on straights but the first turn would come up and i would pass him up!.. i think i found a new hobby.. will post some pics up soon. and i ran with pilot powers held up great on turns 120+. i just felt them stick. didnt think i would feel comfortable knee dragging but it felt just right

edit : sorry for taking for ever to get back up.. almost a week..busy working no good pics at all.. photagraphers sucked that day haha 1st pic was my first lap going into turn 3 warming tires up... was draggin knees a few laps later. and the other bikes in the pic were my 2 buddys i went coming out of turn 4b.. cbr1k behind me haha but dam that bike on straights! the last pic was after my first session first time i dragged kneees... fun.. got destroyed

Attachments

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
dude i want to hit the track so F***ing bad!
what did it run you for the day, after gas and new tires and admission?

·
Power isn't everything
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went with trackdaz and it was 150 plus gas. i only ran 91 oct fuel i was gonna run better fuel but it slipped my mind till it was to late to get it. i just filled my bike up and used 6 gallons after that. and for tires i ran with just regualr pilot powers and they were sticking. and i was doing 120 +on turn 8 100+ on turn 2 dragging knees. i got hooked up on tires only 100 bucks. its worth it man.. i have an 07 r6 about 8800 miles

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
i went with trackdaz and it was 150 plus gas. i only ran 91 oct fuel i was gonna run better fuel but it slipped my mind till it was to late to get it. i just filled my bike up and used 6 gallons after that. and for tires i ran with just regualr pilot powers and they were sticking. and i was doing 120 +on turn 8 100+ on turn 2 dragging knees. i got hooked up on tires only 100 bucks. its worth it man.. i have an 07 r6 about 8800 miles
HOLY CRAP!
HOW'D YOU GET PILOT POWERS FOR $100
AND CAN YOU USE THEM AFTER THE TRACK OR ARE THEY TOAST?

·
Power isn't everything
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my friend had a new set laying in his garage with tags still on them for his bike but got totaled. and they had about 300 street miles on them but the edges are pretty toast maybe one more track day. the middle has many more miles left in them. looks new in the middle.

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
my friend had a new set laying in his garage with tags still on them for his bike but got totaled. and they had about 300 street miles on them but the edges are pretty toast maybe one more track day. the middle has many more miles left in them. looks new in the middle.
luck you

·
goofball royale
161 Posts
Congrats on getting out to the track... now get ready to empty your wallet lol. Get on the Streets course there or Buttonwillow when you have a chance. Totally different tracks but much more technical and a different kind of challenge from the big track. Your CBR1000 buddy will be even further behind on those tracks hahaha.

·
Power isn't everything
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wish i had better pics... i didnt even take my own camera... !! i forgot it at home.. but ya will definitely be trying buttonwillow and the streets of willow..! only live about 20 min away from willow springs!!

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I went there a couple of weeks before you. I love that track. I run in the A group though. Glad to see you got your knee down for the first time. I ran there for two days running about mid pack of the A group and not once did I get my knee down. Running in to turn 8 at about 150 and all and still not getting them dirty. I am going to be hitting buttonwillow hopefully in the first couple of weeks in january. That track is a lot of fun to. Now that I think of it I almost never touch knee. I am running about 2:00 min lap times at buttonwillow and rarely ever touch down. Lucky bastards getting your knees down. I'm to short or something. That is me in the avatar crawling off the machine to no avail.

·
Power isn't everything
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How tall are u.. I'm 5'8 about 190. Ya around turn 8 I was hitting about 130 but I Was group c. Runnin regular pilot powers. I dragged around turn 3,5 and started hitting turn 2 second to last session. First track day many more to come

·
4,299 Posts
I went there a couple of weeks before you. I love that track. I run in the A group though. Glad to see you got your knee down for the first time. I ran there for two days running about mid pack of the A group and not once did I get my knee down. Running in to turn 8 at about 150 and all and still not getting them dirty. I am going to be hitting buttonwillow hopefully in the first couple of weeks in january. That track is a lot of fun to. Now that I think of it I almost never touch knee. I am running about 2:00 min lap times at buttonwillow and rarely ever touch down. Lucky bastards getting your knees down. I'm to short or something. That is me in the avatar crawling off the machine to no avail.
Your pic looks like you have a lot more lean angle to go. You can probably up your corner speed a lot. How tall are you? Good BP BTW

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Thats just it though. I have pretty good corner entry speed. I'm 5'8" and about 170 fully suited. I'm a late braking mo fo, and do most of my passing on corner entry. I'm running race pace at most of the tracks I go to. I'm about 5-10 seconds away from the guy winning the races, in relation to track times. That would mean i'm roughly 10-20 seconds faster than the average joe around the track. I'm taking this info from my own track experience. when I was middle of the B group I was running 2:15 second laps at buttonwillow in the normal #13 config. similar results at other tracks as well. I Have been running 180 rears and the rubber is running off the edge. I'm nearly an 1/8-1/4 inch left of p-line on the front. It is one of those things my friends always joke about. I will probably drag elbow before I drag knee regularly.

By the way I just totally thread jacked ha ha.

Just keep on pushing a little more every time you go to the track. remember that dragging a knee is just to guage available lean angle. The key to speed as far as I have been able to tell is to be smooth, consistant, and able to understand the machines needs. You understand the machines needs by feeling, slowly increasing speed, and applying what the machine told you is ok to do and not overstepping that boundry.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I havn't used a track timer at willow yet. The fastest guys are running near 1min 20sec. I think I'm running about 10-15 seconds off that pace. which is just fast enough to in the mix. I'm being passed about as much as i'm passing others, roughly 5-6 people. There was this 16 year old kid there that weekend that was killing everyone. He was on a kawisaki 600 rr. I'm not kiding when I say that he was killing everyone. He was running at least 10 seconds faster than me and was the guy you saw pass you every time out.

·
***** SHOES
312 Posts
Get your chest off the tank! Pics look good, your ass is in the right place, now just get off the tank a little.. Kiss the mirror.

You warm weather guys are lucky. Hopefully i'll be able to do the Indy track days, and make it out to VIR again.

Keep the rubber down bro, this is what is known as addiction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts