Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did my first (power) wheelie this weekend. I tucked in and rolled on it quick from a stop and when I hit around 10K my front wheel came off the ground. It was weird. I didn't really notice the front end come up at first. I just remember thinking, "I'm looking a little higher than I normally do" and letting off the throttle a little bit. When I did, I felt the front end hit the ground again. And that's when I realized what had happened.

This all took place in like half a second, mind you, so my wheel only came up about 8 inches to a foot. I turned around and came back down the street and my friend who was standing there with his sister both had absolutely stunned faces. They were like, "Did you just do a wheelie?"

So I'm not in any hurry to do another one. That one scared me a bit. Just thought I'd share my experience.

EDIT: Just realized that my sig pic shows the exact spot I did my wheelie. The crest of the road, right behind the pickup.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
very nice i did the same thing the second day i bought my 08 scared me as well but since then ive pulled a few more up kinda fun for a sec then i get scared again haha

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Humorous story man... Glad to hear that you didn't biff it too.

Ride safe man.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have done the same. Once, I gave it too much at a red light and it came right up on me. All the people in the car next to me were giving me thumbs up and shit but it scared the sh*t out of me.

·
Sexy Time
757 Posts
I remember my fist time doing that by accident on my 05 636. I was just trying to take off fast and all of the sudden front wheel pops up and im gaining fast on this car in front of me- ooops.. Worse was a girl in my msf class, she was reving up the lil yami 250 and was suppose to release the clutch slowly and she freaking dumps it and tah dah- 12 o'clock, lol.. she fell eventually but was ok.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I remember my fist time doing that by accident on my 05 636. I was just trying to take off fast and all of the sudden front wheel pops up and im gaining fast on this car in front of me- ooops.. Worse was a girl in my msf class, she was reving up the lil yami 250 and was suppose to release the clutch slowly and she freaking dumps it and tah dah- 12 o'clock, lol.. she fell eventually but was ok.

Did they pass her?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very first day on my 04 R6 (which got stolen =[) I was by a little airport that hardly ever gets used at night. Long road, about a mile with NO ONE on it, so I figured lets see what this bike can do up till 6K RPM since I was still breaking it in. So I hit the throttle in first, get up to 6K, pull in the clutch to shift and forget to release the throttle, it revs up and when I shifted and dumped the clutch I received my first wheelie with 6 miles riding experience. =] I still haven't pulled up my 06 R6.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
sometimes i will accidently lift the front end up....good thing i got tinted visors...cause it hides them from seeing the fear in my eyes..:nono

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
sometimes i will accidently lift the front end up....good thing i got tinted visors...cause it hides them from seeing the fear in my eyes..:nono
Ditto - I hate power wheelies - they scare me shitl*$$ and people on the street are always so happy to see them - they're like effing cheerleaders on the sidewalk. I used to get them all the time and it took me a long time to learn how NOT to do them on my old 954rr, especially rolling on out of turns. So long in fact I was beginning to think that I would have ride with diapers, but then I figured it out.

Best to say - I hate wheelies all together - I don't clutch em either, when my front comes up on my 6, I say "damn" while others they "aaaaaahhhh", funny sometimes.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Done it, them hills will get ya man!, cept mine rose up about 10 o'clock position in a split second and then started makin S patterns down the road only on my rear tire...i dont know how i didn't end up with a tank slapper when i finally realized i needed to tap the brake and slam the front end down...that was scary as all hell:throwup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts