Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my friend is a NEWBIE to bikes. he took my r6 out for like 10min. he isn't so good. he's all jizzy about the new r1. he saw this in cycletrader http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/4/4/72051644.htm and he's gonna buy it! 1st off... his first bike an r1??! NOOOO!!!! i told him NOOO!!! idiot! 2nd... umm a new r1 for $2,700. wtf?! he wont listen to me. he will either get screwed...or he will crash the r1 if he even gets it without being ripped off. give me a few opinions please. :cuss

oh yea...the guy who is selling that bike...is gonna do it through escrow or something. safe? or not? i mean wtf. im only 21 and i have over $34,000 in my bank acct. i could've got an R1 new with mods like hell. but i chose a use 99 r6 for my 1st bike. i just dont want him to get hurt or ripped off.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
WTF? $2.7k 2004 R1? That is not right.
I live in CA and Davis is about 1-1.5 hrs away.

...and for your buddy to get an R1 as a first bike is ludicrous!

I am with you on stopping him on getting this bike at all cost!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exactly!!! SOMETHING is totally NOT right about this. i am even thinking about calling that guy in DAVIS, CA and tell him to **** off and to not sell it to my friend. i might even offer more $ so my friend wont get it. IF he gets the bike without being screwed over. i WILL make him sell it for more $ and buy an R6 (used i would say for a 1st bike). i really do NOT get it. even 7,000 is cheap for a 2004 R1!! LOL the guy told my friend that it DOES have 600 miles on it cuz his son rode it around. i just dont get it thats all. its a sweet bike...but only for an experienced rider! i dont want to see another one of many of my friends get hurt or killed because of a squidish move. hopefully he'll make the right decision. if he doesn't i will make him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I was looking for an r6 I found a 2003 Lim edition for $4000 I emailed the guy and he said he was in new york, the ad was from seattle. I wrote back and aksed for a number to call him at since the number posted had never heard of him. He then wrote back saying I send 1000 then he would send the bike then I send the rest. Yeah right . I wrote again and asked for a number to call. Then he wrote me back and said he was deaf. So I suggested an escrow account transfer and he never replied again. I wrote from a second email address and said I lived in new york, this time he said he was in chicago. I wrote him a pretty harsh email about the scam the next day the ad was gone.

those types of scams are pretty popular with bikes I wouldn't buy a bike you cannot physically see.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sounds like a scam to me.

Tell your friend firstly hes crazy for going for an R1 for his first bike & secondly if he wants to go ahead that he should ring this dude & also try & view it first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeffsy said:
Sounds like a scam to me.

Tell your friend firstly hes crazy for going for an R1 for his first bike & secondly if he wants to go ahead that he should ring this dude & also try & view it first.
my friend and i live here in tampa, FL. the bike is in CA. the guy selling it said he would send the bike here to FL for a "14 day trial" with the bike and if my friend doesn't like it he can send it back no charge. but still i dont get it at all.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ya know i'd love to be able to buy an 04 R1 for that price....but it just don't happen. To me it sounds like he either stole it or it's a scam.

Second,,,you need to convince your friend an r1, especially an 04 r1 with 180 horsepower, is a bad ass bike...too bad for beginners. He needs to follow your lead...find a nice used one, learn and get comfortable with it, and then move up to an r1.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
redneck_r6 said:
Second,,,you need to convince your friend an r1, especially an 04 r1 with 180 horsepower, is a bad ass bike...too bad for beginners. He needs to follow your lead...find a nice used one, learn and get comfortable with it, and then move up to an r1.
im trying my best to convince him. but i know if he gets on that R1 he wont want to get off. unless of course he is forced off by the power. and you know the power of an R1 will rape the power of a newbie squid rider. i hate to see him learn the hard way. especially on such a beautiful bike. :roll:

·
Registered
501 Posts
By the way i live 10 minutes from Davis and the number he gave you is the wrong area code. Davis has a (916) area code not 344. So its probably a scam.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
jay01 said:
By the way i live 10 minutes from Davis and the number he gave you is the wrong area code. Davis has a (916) area code not 344. So its probably a scam.
There you go, that really justify this as a SCAM!! :cuss

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
IT"S A SCAM! I called about an R6 that was like 4k. The guy was in belgium, and said he would send it and I would wire the money western union.
NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a bike without looking at it in person first. There's a thread about cycletrader scams here somewhere. If he buys this bike, he's going to get ripped off and he has NO recourse.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
04 R1 < $3,000, wrong area code, newbie wanted it... wow... were to start.

talk him out of it, beat him out of it, do something to stop the madness!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
drhodes said:
04 R1 < $3,000, wrong area code, newbie wanted it... wow... were to start.

talk him out of it, beat him out of it, do something to stop the madness!
hehe i will try my best. but there is one weird thing. the guy who is selling the bike to my friend. ... wants to go through escrow. how if u look at the escrow site right on the main page it states. the seller sends the item before buyer pays any $. if the buyer likes what he is buying then he sends the seller his $. soo.... i dont get it. ever hear of scams using escrow? this is the escrow site http://www.escrow-shop.com/

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
and actually davis is about an hour and a half from me. maybe i should go ride up with a few buddies and beat some ass?

me :hump scammers/thieves.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wierd. I've never heard of the escrow scam, where you get to look at it first before bsending money. It's probably still a scam though.

Tell him that some of your friends in NOR CAL will drive to Davius to see the bike. Hell, if it's a good deal, I'll go there and check it out.

If they hesitate. Then it's a SCAM.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do a search on the forum... I know I have heard of some escrow scams. I know I have found and reported several scam artists to cycle trader.. yet one of our members reported the same guy scamming a friend of his a few months later... Scammers are everywhere... If your friend cant see it before the money leaves his hand- he better leave the deal alone. I dont want to be an a$$ but if your friend gets scammed after all you have done to stop him - he may be beyond help... Nice to know he has a friend like you looking out for him..

peace... :mrgreen:

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
well for once i actually have nothing to say about this.

well i guess i could say that your friend is a dumass. but take it personally. it just seems like he wont do the right thing. oh well

1 - 20 of 39 Posts