Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
n00b
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off... sorry about the crappy night time cell pics.

Now anyways, I snapped some pics of how I mounted my light in my track fairings and also took some pics of my tag bracket that I made up.

The Light

The not so pretty bracket I made up to hold the light. Just some scrap metal I had laying around my shop. Bent it up and spot welded it together. It is bolted to the fairing stay and is very sturdy. I took the bike out for a couple hours today and the light did not budge or shake at all.

Cockpit view

The tail light, it consist of two running lights/brake lights and a tag light. I wired up a 3 pin connector to the factory wiring the run right out the under tail. It all bolts to two bolts I mounted through the under tail. The bolts are mounted to the subframe inside the tail. Just two M10 nuts to hold the bracket in place. Very easy to take on/off for track days. The tag is very visible. I am NOT running turn signals on the bike. :321

Now if anyone has more questions about this set-up and how I made it work etc. post them here and I will do my best to help you out. I am NOT writing a DIY as the bracket is not made with easily accessible tools and I am lazy :sleeping.

The light was just a cheap projector fog light that I bought on eBay. I then wired up a krypton bulbs HID to get a little more light. The tail light also came from eBay and I fabbed up the bracket to hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
35,476 Posts
Nice!! One of the things holding me back was my track bike wouldn't be street legal because no lights. I'll look into doing something similar!

·
YZF-er!
1,728 Posts
I just thought I would post up since I have had at least 5 people ask me about it already.

That's because custom work is always well appreciated, especially one as original as yours. Definitely digging the projector.. might consider doing the same on my second gen. although with my own style so that I leave your design as your own :sing

·
n00b
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much! :nocontrol

Sorry for all the questions and annoyance before :nono

Where can i get the Brake light like yours?.
Just look on eBay, I searched universal brake lights for motorcycles and just kept looking until I found something I liked. It was $25 shipped from China.

Looks good bro.
:YEA

Nice!! One of the things holding me back was my track bike wouldn't be street legal because no lights. I'll look into doing something similar!
Def, I wanted full track fairings and streetability. So just had to figure something out and this is what I came up with.

That's because custom work is always well appreciated, especially one as original as yours. Definitely digging the projector.. might consider doing the same on my second gen. although with my own style so that I leave your design as your own :sing
Thanks I appreciate the comments. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Also for anyone wondering, I wired the light up to the high beam switch so it is not constantly on.

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
Seeing the bracket helps, I always assumed you epoxied something to the actual fiberglass which I didn't like because it would be extra work in the event of needing new plastics.

Great work, thanks for sharing. Maybe during the winter I can get this done.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
how is the light at night? it it there just to keep it street legal, or is the light good enough to actually ride when its dark?
looks good btw

·
n00b
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how is the light at night? it it there just to keep it street legal, or is the light good enough to actually ride when its dark?
looks good btw
I tested the light out last night. With just the halogen that came with the projector it would not be enough to ride at night. But with the HID conversion I am comfortable at night. I rode about 20-30 miles last night around 10:00pm and never felt like I couldnt see well enough. I would say overall it is just a bit less light than the oem halogen low beam.

The tail light is super bright (all LEDs) and so is the tag light.

·
n00b
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seeing the bracket helps, I always assumed you epoxied something to the actual fiberglass which I didn't like because it would be extra work in the event of needing new plastics.

Great work, thanks for sharing. Maybe during the winter I can get this done.
I def didn't want to mount anything to the fiberglass for the very reason you just said. I can pop the nose fairing off and the light just stays in place.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,450 Posts
Definitely very sick setup and creative! Awesome work Joe!

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
That's real nice.. do you have a pic of the bike looking head on at it?
I believe he sold it and isn't active on the forums anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts