Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I roll with Wanderlei
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 R6 that I recently started riding around my neighborhood. The reason I'm making this thread is because when I ride around and bring the bike into the garage, I sometimes smell strange odors coming from the exhaust. The two main smells are burnt rubber and burnt oil/gasoline.

Are these smells normal? Is the burnt rubber smell coming from a new exhaust? Currently, my bike has less than 10 miles on the odometer. I figure it's a good idea to ask now before I ride it anymore.

Just so you guys know, this is my first motorcycle, ever. I don't know what smells and sounds are normal because I have nothing to compare them too.

What do you guys think? Is this normal or do I have a cause for concern?

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
New bikes are typically sprayed with Cosmoline (or similar), a rust preventative used for (largely salt water) protection as the bike makes it's way across the Pacific in its shipping container. Short of using a product like S100 and thoroughly cleaning your bike, you won't be able to prevent the smell. It will go away in time... like the new car smell, think of it like your new bike smell.

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
New bikes are typically sprayed with Cosmoline (or similar), a rust preventative used for (largely salt water) protection as the bike makes it's way across the Pacific in its shipping container. Short of using a product like S100 and thoroughly cleaning your bike, you won't be able to prevent the smell. It will go away in time... like the new car smell, think of it like your new bike smell.
+1
It's normal

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
If yo shit been shankin' maybe it's got the clap...? Might get a Dr. to check it out.:lmao

Seriously though you might even be smelling the muffler breaking in as well.

·
I roll with Wanderlei
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1
It's normal
If yo shit been shankin' maybe it's got the clap...? Might get a Dr. to check it out.:lmao

Seriously though you might even be smelling the muffler breaking in as well.
Maybe it's normal. I hope it is.

I already overreacted once with this bike. After my first mini-ride, I brought my bike into the garage and a large fan sound came in out of nowherel. I had no idea what was going on and I freaked. A couple of people say the sound is normal. Something about the radiator fan cooling down the bike. Like I said though it freaked me out. I think I ran away from the bike when I heard the fan. Lmao.

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,760 Posts

I already overreacted once with this bike. After my first mini-ride, I brought my bike into the garage and a large fan sound came in out of nowherel. I had no idea what was going on and I freaked. A couple of people say the sound is normal. Something about the radiator fan cooling down the bike. Like I said though it freaked me out. I think I ran away from the bike when I heard the fan. Lmao.
:facepalm

·
Banned
3,295 Posts

:lmao

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts

:nono

·
Registered
790 Posts
The burning smell is normal. Mine did this after every ride for the first 600 or so miles. Just normal engine/bike break in. Once i hit my first oil change it went away(other than a bit of oil that burns off the engine from the oil change itself).

·
I roll with Wanderlei
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The burning smell is normal. Mine did this after every ride for the first 600 or so miles. Just normal engine/bike break in. Once i hit my first oil change it went away(other than a bit of oil that burns off the engine from the oil change itself).
Thanks for taking the time to post something useful. It's good to know that smell may last for at least a couple hundred miles.

Me too!! :lmao

OP, Glad to hear you been takin it easy. How psyched are you about having a sick bike? You start the MSF course yet? Have you kept the bike shiny side up thus far?
Sup bro. Yeah man, riding is fun as fcuk. I passed the MSF course last weekend. I told myself I wasn't going to turn on the bike until I passed the course and I stayed true to my word. All I do is drive around my neighborhood. I try to work on/improve important techniques when I ride (countersteer, look where I wanna go, turning, etc). Hands hurt after riding for 20 minutes or so. Virgin hands and wrists haha...

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post something useful. It's good to know that smell may last for at least a couple hundred miles.

Sup bro. Yeah man, riding is fun as fcuk. I passed the MSF course last weekend. I told myself I wasn't going to turn on the bike until I passed the course and I stayed true to my word. All I do is drive around my neighborhood. I try to work on/improve important techniques when I ride (countersteer, look where I wanna go, turning, etc). Hands hurt after riding for 20 minutes or so. Virgin hands and wrists haha...
Sounds like you're doing all the right things man.. Take it slow, ride safe!

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Sounds like you're doing all the right things man.. Take it slow, ride safe!
And if you smell something delicious and crispy after the ride, it's not your exhaust pipe. It's a little bit of....Shake....And..Bake. Shake 'n bake!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hope you got the right gear on man, don't become another statistic :p I'm at around 1000 miles and the smells have gone away. Its most likely road debris getting flicked onto your headers and gettin' fried. No big deal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts