Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning I wake up, open the door, and there it is....2 feet of snow! I rush to get dressed, grab my shovel....and no I didn't head for the car, the driveway, or the sidewalk. I went straight to the back of the house and almost shed a tear when I saw my poor babies drowning in snow.

3 months left until this crap is gone. Thank goodness we only get a couple of these dumped on us a season.

Still....this is definitely a sad site to see.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you need to build yourself a shed mate
Yeah....no room unfortunately. The backyard has a huge patio, gardens, etc etc. After this melts away I'm going to build a cheap cover to go above them. Grab some 2x4's and plywood so no snow gets on them.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Yeah, at least some sort of shelter other then just a motorcycle cover. Hell I'd rent a storage unit for the winter and go start them up once a week so they can get warm. I believe there are actually places that have climate controlled storage a.k.a. heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. I'd definitely look into that for next winter if you're gonna be in the same place with no garage or storage of any kind. You have a drive way? www.pods.com

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, at least so sort of shelter other then just a motorcycle cover. Hell I'd rent a storage unit for the winter and go start them up once a week so they can get warm. I believe you there are actually places that have climate controlled storage a.k.a. heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. I'd definitely look into that for next winter if you're gonna be in the same place with no garage or storage of any kind.
Yeah...honestly...I don't trust these storage places around here. Just me, but I get REALLY worried about my bikes and there are a lot of crooks in NYC. The end of this week I'm going to build a little something to cover them for sure.

The 250 may be sold this week, so I'll only have to cover two.

ACTUALLY....I think I'll just buy a big a$$ tarp from home depot, and tie it to the fence and have it at an angle and stake it to the ground. May be easier then wood at this point and still do the trick.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
it looks like you have them well cover so it shouldn't be a problem. how often do you start them up to warm up the engine and gets the fluid flowing?

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,868 Posts
Yea bro..just go buy one of those plastic sheds so you have decent cover. I bought a metal one and me and my dad put it together. Its survived countless snow, rain, ice, wind, etc. It was 500 bucks but it was well worth it. Heres a picture of it. Its not big but its big enough to hold the bike plus have walking room on one side and room to store tools etc. in the back corners.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it looks like you have them well cover so it shouldn't be a problem. how often do you start them up to warm up the engine and gets the fluid flowing?
It's been about 2 weeks now.....not starting them up though, just making sure I charge them up with a tender every 2-3 weeks to keep the batteries fully charged.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Why don't you start them up?

The tarp might be a good idea as long as you get a good heavy duty one and not some cheap piece'o'crap. I got a tarp to cover a trailer for a trip from Michigan to Florida, did the drive in 18 hours, the tarp didn't last. You might also want to get some sort of support for the middle, I know you said you where gonna put it on an angle but snow is some heavy $hit.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why don't you start them up?
Honestly, because it's super cold outside and by constantly starting it up and warming up the bike, then shutting it down creates a sh-t load of moisture. Don't want the insides of the bike and pipes to create any moisture that can end up rusting or damaging anything.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Let them in the house.:sing

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
Why not park them in the garage and park your car/truck outside. Unless you don't have a garage then nevermind.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why not park them in the garage and park your car/truck outside. Unless you don't have a garage then nevermind.
Yup...no garage. Only a shared driveway. My backyard is totally fenced in, but no room for a shed because when we bought the house I had a huge patio, BBQ area and gardens built in. So no way a shed is even possible which blows.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Makes me angry at Mother Fcukin Nature!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts