Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I would share my quest for insurance quotes. I just moved out of Montana (where I didn't need insurance and didn't have it) to Kentucky. In KY, you have to have insurance to register the bike and all, and I wanted some protection for my bike. So, I called/visited 5 or 6 different insurance companies and here was the spread.

2007 Yamaha R6
CDL Class-A Liscence w/ No Violations
Motorcycle Safety Course Taken

Gieco: $783.00 a year
All-State: $1,940.14 a year
State Farm: $1,201.61 a year
Hartford: $1,121.05 a year
Progressive: $311.07 a year
*And a couple local ones that were pretty useless

All quotes were for the same coverage (personal liability and some collision...pretty moderate protection)
I was amazed to see the spread. Maybe this will help some people. Obviously I went with Progressive:toocool:

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
I am old and Progressive was the most expensive when I was shopping insurance. All-state was the cheapest for me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it kinda goes to show you how F***ed up the insurance industry really is. I mean the spread was $300-$2200. I mean come on, WTF mate!?

·
wat?
722 Posts
Big question is how OLD are you? And why no comp coverage on an 07...? Not even theft?

I pay $394.44 a year for FULL coverage ($500 comp deduct, every option including uninsured, etc)) through State Farm living in Washington, DC (actually in the city).

It dropped from $1164.72 to my current rate when I turned 25.

·
Laugh. Love. Learn. Live.
657 Posts
There's no point in trying to make sense of all this. When you go to get a quote, no matter what company, they just hit the "random" button on their desk, and it gives them a completely random figure to spit out at you. That's your rate. The only reason they ask you all those questions is to stall while their computers from 1975 work to generate that random number.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big question is how OLD are you? And why no comp coverage on an 07...? Not even theft?

I pay $394.44 a year for FULL coverage ($500 comp deduct, every option including uninsured, etc)) through State Farm living in Washington, DC (actually in the city).

It dropped from $1164.72 to my current rate when I turned 25.

I'm 28 and don't feel like I need theft protection. I have full collision insurance and it will cover up to $3,000 in upgrades to the bike. I live in an mid-upper class neighborhood and people leave their $20,000 Harley's out all the time. If my bike gets stolen, that gives me a great reason to convince the wife I need a Ducati 1098. :)

·
dodging cars on my R6
708 Posts
State Farm was also the cheapest for me. I'm only paying $301 a year for my '08 R6. We have our house and cars insured as well and I'm 31 yrs old so I'm sure all of this helps.
Progressive was the most expensive at around $1300 a year.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
There's no point in trying to make sense of all this. When you go to get a quote, no matter what company, they just hit the "random" button on their desk, and it gives them a completely random figure to spit out at you. That's your rate. The only reason they ask you all those questions is to stall while their computers from 1975 work to generate that random number.

:popcorn:

we have a winner folks

geico 480 everything but comprehensive 100$ deductibles

·
R6 NOOB
73 Posts
I'm just outside of Baltimore, MD and am 27. I was just quoted ~$500/year for FULL coverage (Comp, collision, liability, uninsured driver, 100/300/100, and $500 deductible) from State Farm.

This is also with totaling a car a little over a year ago and having a speeding ticket on record. It's also with just having the bike on the policy and not my car (my car is with Nationwide).

Through talking to people, State Farm rates insurance on the size of the engine and not what bike you're insuring. So, from what I have heard, insuring a 600cc sportbike is going to be much cheaper than a 1200 cruiser.

Hope this helps.

·
wat?
722 Posts
I'm 28 and don't feel like I need theft protection. I have full collision insurance and it will cover up to $3,000 in upgrades to the bike. I live in an mid-upper class neighborhood and people leave their $20,000 Harley's out all the time. If my bike gets stolen, that gives me a great reason to convince the wife I need a Ducati 1098. :)
Did you ask for a quote on theft protection? It's incredibly low. Even for people who don't get full coverage because of cost it's worth just picking up theft. I wouldn't worry about your neighborhood but certainly if you ever park it somewhere.

Plus I had a bad experience with a car getting stolen out of my old "mid-upper class neighborhood" back in WA state :( I was very glad to have theft coverage then, even though I swore it could never happen where I lived.

And an R6 is a far more tempting theft item than a $20k Harley because it's easier to part out on ebay; far more difficult to flip a Harley.

·
AFM #327
15,210 Posts
sportbikes tend to get stolen more than harleys, are they not???

insurance rates depend more on credit, city and driving record than anything else.
A rate spread that wide???wtf??? I have progressive with liability and comprehensive ~600/year, no collision or PIP, progressive was cheapest as i have other policies with them too, get a multi policy discount

·
Registered
479 Posts
i used to have full coverage 500 dollar deductable through progressive (700 a year) because USAA quit insuring bikes in LA and they sub that out to them:thumbdown. i recently changed my policy to statefarm. called em up directly (no middle man or agent) and received a quote for the same coverages i had through progressive with under/unishured motorist thrown in to boot for 200 bucks less a year just because of my credit score. 745:toocool:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sportbikes tend to get stolen more than harleys, are they not???

insurance rates depend more on credit, city and driving record than anything else.
A rate spread that wide???wtf??? I have progressive with liability and comprehensive ~600/year, no collision or PIP, progressive was cheapest as i have other policies with them too, get a multi policy discount
True, sportbikes get stolen more than Harleys. I was pointing out the Harley's to show what type of neighborhood I live in: very safe.

Actually, rates depend more on AGE than anything else you listed.

My cars are insured with GIECO and Progressive was still better.

·
AFM #327
15,210 Posts
True, sportbikes get stolen more than Harleys. I was pointing out the Harley's to show what type of neighborhood I live in: very safe.

Actually, rates depend more on AGE than anything else you listed.

My cars are insured with GIECO and Progressive was still better.

AGE !!! Wonder how YOUNG progressive thinks I am, my rates i think are still pretty high (though i've had my M endorsement for less than a year), progressive said that ia had multi policy discount, msf discount and safe driver discount, still pretty high rates. Mabbe i'll shop around more then

·
Registered
218 Posts
alfa would not wright my bike,proggresive was $2800 a year for full coverage geko was $2300 per year and state farm in my town was $1900 per year,so i called where i bought the bike and they gave me the # to state farm 40 miles from me and i got full coverage for $680 per year.I didn't even have to change my auto insurance carrier

·
Registered
128 Posts
850 evrything and upgraded medical. Primmum.
no theft. as well im in canada with2 tickets. 39yrs and 18 exp

1 - 20 of 23 Posts