Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go about changing my oil today.. oil pan, oil, filter, stand, filter wrench all ready to go.

I think the mistake I made was getting the universal filter wrench that contracts as it rotates... bad idea.

That damn filter would NOT come off to save my life! Probably spent 2 hours tugging away at it. It only took about 2 minutes before I realized the wrench I got was useless so I went back to Autozone and bought 3 different versions of filter wrenches, still wasn't giving in..

Finally with the help of some really big locking pliers wrapped around it, after annihilating it with the tip of a screwdriver and a hammer I was able to get a giant pair of locking pliers on it assisted by another wrench on the arm of the first one for some leverage, it finally budged.

Dude at Auto-zone even tried, it was not coming off.

Factory filter, first oil change.. wtf!?

·
The Reverend
1,355 Posts
Are u turning it left? Lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
Been there, done that. Once on an old zx6r that had been sitting for a few years and a couple on some cars that had very tricky placement and were difficult to get a good grip. Screwdriver through the filter always works.

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
I use multi grips to install and remove my filters. When installing gently bite the filter with multi grips and turn till it feels as though it will slip . When removing squeeze hard enough till it collapses a little, turn and bobs your uncle. Less mess than the screwdriver method and I have never damaged or had one come loose. ;) Yes I'm cheap and rough :laugh

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Ahahaha!!!! Hilarious!!!!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Never had a problem with a stuck filter using this, as long as their is clearance to get to it.

Same tool I use. Well, that an the Hiflofiltro HF204RC I use for my 636 has the nut on top

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Or just stabbed a screwdriver through it and turn, otherwise crush it with a pair of channel locks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
For the love of all things motorcycle, you people need to quit suggesting and using the stupid fvucking screw driver method.

It's a hack method that doesn't work for filters that are truly stuck. Not just a little stuck, like when some of you built like justin bieber can't muster the strength to loosen it up with your hand, I'm talking like...really mother fvucking stuck. Using the screw driver method will then only tear the fvuck out of the filter, rendering it completely useless to use any other oil filter wrenches on it, since it now resembles an oil filter that had an abortion.

Use the proper tool from the start, and you simply won't have these problems. Take the new filter with you to the parts store. Find the oil filter wrench that slips over the end of the filter and call it done.

There's two kinds of people that stab oil filters with screw drivers - hacks and morons. They are also the same people that use scotch locks for electrical connections. More often than not, they are also the same people that don't want to cut their fairings for frame slides - yet never clean or lubricate their chain. :nono

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
The ninja 300 comes stuck on from the factory. Just about everyone had to use the screwdriver method, including me and dealerships to get the damn thing off. I feel your pain op lol

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
For the love of all things motorcycle, you people need to quit suggesting and using the stupid fvucking scre driver method.

It's a hack method that doesn't work for filters that are truly stuck. Not just a little stuck, like when some of you built like justin bieber can't muster the strength to loosen it up with your hand, I'm talking like...really mother fvucking stuck. Using the screw driver method will then only tear the fvuck out of the filter, rendering it completely useless to use any other oil filter wrenches on it, since it now resembles an oil filter that had an abortion.

Use the proper tool from the start, and you simply won't have these problems. Take the new filter with you to the parts store. Find the oil filter wrench that slips over the end of the filter and call it done.

There's two kinds of people that stab oil filters with screw drivers - hacks and morons. They are also the same people that use scotch locks for electrical connections. More often than not, they are also the same people that don't want to cut their fairings for frame slides - yet never clean or lubricate their chain. :nono
I am inclined to agree. I dont believe in the screwdriver method at all.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
For the love of all things motorcycle, you people need to quit suggesting and using the stupid fvucking screw driver method.

I have never used the screw driver method and never would..buuuut.... I would like to see someone try!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,256 Posts
I've had to use it on more than one bike...usually as a last resort.

And it usually is the LAST resort, because I've never had it not work to get a stuck filter off.

Guess I am just a hack......with over 30 year experience. ;)

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I've had to use it on more than one bike...usually as a last resort.

And it usually is the LAST resort, because I've never had it not work to get a stuck filter off.

Guess I am just a hack......with over 30 year experience. ;)
Just because you've been doing something for so many years, it does not mean for a second you've been doing it right for those many years.

Oh, yeah - most of the hacks I know use that line too. Take it FWIW.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
ya but its an inferior filter. A cheap pair of channel locks cost $10. A K&N filter costs $14.
werd. Went downhill for cost savings I heard. The Hiflofiltro is supposedly still a good filter with the nut, though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts