I get the following readings:

A
1.1-1.2

B
1.2-1.3

C
1.2-1.3

Am I measuring this correct?
Reason I'm testing the stator is because my battery voltage is 12.7, when i start the bike it goes to 13.98 and when i rev to 5k rpm it doesn't change from 13.98. It never reaches 14volts.

I have a stator on order at the dealership, am I on the right track or should I have ordered a regulator instead?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Yeah, killed my battery, then I replaced the battery and that battery died after only 2 months.

That sucks bro.

Are these readings that you posted taking into account the resistance the tool itself has?

You're supposed to touch the two contacts of the multimeter together. That reading in ohms you'll see is the built in resistance. Subtract that from your readings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My multimeter reads .1 - .2 with the probes touching each other.

So best case, I'm getting a reading of 0.9 where the manual specifies .26 as the upper limit.

Stator will come in on the 20th so I guess I'll find out at that time if the stator is responsible.
I suspect she's dicker'd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, now I'm completely confused.

rode for a week, weekend is here, decided to remove the battery and charge it.

before I removed it I measured voltage, 12.98~~
hmm, that's full as crap, that's 100% charged

Start the bike, voltage climbs to 14, give it some revs to 5k and I'm measuring 14.1X

hmm, well odd.
Now it's reading exactly as it should, battery is charging fully.
What the bollucks.

Maybe I have to call and cancel my stator on order?
Might have saved myself 300$

Still doesn't make sense why I would get such a high resistance reading from the stator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the phase to ground check while I was doing the phase to phase tests, didn't come up with any ground reading so I should be good there.

The voltage check I haven't done with the bike running, so I will try that just to get another piece of data to measure. The only reason I haven't done that yet is because the manual doesn't mention it or specify an OEM reading to be looking for.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
It is hard to quantify it because the AC volts vary with RPM, so accuracy is an issue. But in general you should be at least 50-60 VAC at 5000 RPM. And they should be even across all 3 phases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts