Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrestled with removing the tail-plastic from my '01 for an hour tonight because my license-plate light was not getting continuity. After an hour of swearing at the engineer who put that fastener on the left side underneath the plastic from the trunk-bottom, I finally got the tail apart and nearly dropped dead from the horror! I'm traumatized.

When I bought the bike I had checked under the seat, beautiful... no reason to suspect anything. Even the aftermarket alarm wiring looked sound and professional. Now I get a look under the passenger pillion... spaghetti. No solder, not even wire-caps. Just twisting and (sometimes) electrical tape. The lighting problem?... the lead wire for the socket had deteriorated clean in two!!! Crap. I'm gonna be off the road for a day or two fixing this. More bad news.. I cut the socket for the license plate light before I got the tail off... so now I need a new one of those, too. any idea what the part-number is on that? bike bandit and yamaha's site show it in the tail-light schematic, but don't assign it a part no.

:cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
download the service manual here and then check page 396 and the next few after. it might help as it has wiring diagrams and stuff. don't think it has part numbers though but I didn't look at much else other than the table of contents....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I got the original socket back together with some solder and heat-shrink wrap. Good thing, too because they local dealer tells me the socket isn't sold as a separate part. I would have had to drop a hundred bucks on a new tail-light assembly just to get the the socket !!!

Anyway, some solder, wirenuts and lots of electrical tape later, everything is back in working order and the bike is ready to go for tomorrow (should be a half-decent day here in PA). I soldered and taped all the stuff I plan on keeping and wire-capped/taped the signal wires since I think I'm gonna change them soon.

but the main point is that I'm back legal again :cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts