Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at 6000 miles i switched to mobil one mx4t synthetic oil. at or around that point i've noticed that ticking noise that it seems like alot of people say they have has gotten ALOT loder. its not a hard knocking but more of a ticking sound. no matter what gear or what rpm im at i hear it. the higher the rpm's the faster the ticking is going. its so loud that i even hear it on the highway over my devil exhaust. just wondering if its my valves because my owners book says that the valves dont need adjusting until 26000 miles. if its not the valves does anyone know what this is or have the same sound?

·
Registered
39 Posts
yer not gunna believe this, but all you have to do is tighten your spark plugs to proper torque. i had the same ticking on my bike and when i went to clean and regap, the plugs nearly fell out they were so loose!! there was a ton of sooty carbon in the boot and around the outside of the plug. cranked them down a lil tighter than spec and this gave a nice seal on the crush rings. new power and no more "valve" tick noise. all youre hearing is pop as the gas leaks by the plug and it sounds like a tick and naturally gets louder as you accelerate because more gas and air gives you more POP! hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
if his chain was that loose I think hed notice it one time mine was so loose I had to take off at like 6k or it would stall

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The ticking noise he's referring to is definately engine. Mine does it too.
Mine got a little louder when I went to Royal Purple synthetic also, so I'm going back to dino juice to see if that was it.
I'll check the plugs too while i'm at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think this sound is on most R6's its probably not any major thing. But as the guys have said check the plugs and chain to be sure. also check everything on the bike for tightness after those miles things may have came lose. But dont think its going to blow or anything. It is possible the valves could also freed up some. So if it seems like your loosing power take it to some one to check. You can also check the compression your self to be eliminate alot of problems.

·
Registered
586 Posts
How apt are our bikes to have the lifters tick? Could that be it? Or could it be contributing to the ticking? Just thinking that with changing the oil type, it might affect this.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
My bike ticked from the first mile to now. I have been told its the injectors and its normal.

Seems like I remember the injectors on my 300Z doing the same thing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mechanic at the local shop told me that the oil you guys are using could actually be too slick for your bike. Those oils are mainly for racers always raggin on their bikes on the track at very high rpms's (just a thought). Also, try to use the same brand gas all the time. If ticking noise is still there, try another brand for a while. The so called "additives" that gas companys add are all different, in turn causing engines to run different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts