Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wish that were as true was it was 30-40 years ago haha. I was just fixing an issue on my 2006 car. Rodents nicked one little 20 gauge wire, car took several seconds of cranking to start and had a rev limiter at 2500 RPM. I was lucky to see the wire before I shotgunned parts at it, cut and soldered it back together. Car started right up, rev limiter at 4k. A few drive cycles and it runs perfectly.

I just put a gopro mount on my RF1200, so I'll try to take some video. It's a very particular sound.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just got back from a ride to the gas station (20 mile round trip for me lol) and the bike started acting up once it warmed up. When I got to the gas station, I took my seat off and took the PC ground ring off the battery. Bike wouldn't even start. I touched the ring terminal to a ground and it started up. Rev'd it up, took the ring off and it instantly wound down and died. I'm not familiar with the PC wiring, but I'm pretty sure the bike should run with the PC disconnected from ground, or there's something up with the wiring for my injectors?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Reproduce the "sputtering" for as long as you feel comfortable that damage isn't being done. Pull the plugs and look for signs of lean/rich, contaminated and other. If any look different from the others, that's not a good sign. But experiences say that spark is under the most "stress" at low-RPM, high engine load. (so throttle wide open) You got a crap ton of air in the cylinder at low velocity with a lot of fuel and little momentum from crank rotation... best conditions for miss due to weak spark.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
If temp only, look at tune. Ie properly remove the pc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Put the GoPro on the helmet. Sure enough, minimal sputtering. Barely noticeable unless you're actually sitting in the seat with your hand on the throttle tube. I do have some old video that shows the sputtering the first time it happened to me, though it is night video.

Reproduce the "sputtering" for as long as you feel comfortable that damage isn't being done. Pull the plugs and look for signs of lean/rich, contaminated and other. If any look different from the others, that's not a good sign. But experiences say that spark is under the most "stress" at low-RPM, high engine load. (so throttle wide open) You got a crap ton of air in the cylinder at low velocity with a lot of fuel and little momentum from crank rotation... best conditions for miss due to weak spark.
I don't think the sputtering is much of an issue as far as hard part failures. I can smell that the map is very rich all the way around, which I suspect is my issue. I just ordered some new plugs, they will be ready for pickup around 12 hours from now. The only reason I haven't messed with the PC is because I can't get my bike close to a computer haha. It really isn't load dependent as far as I can tell. It will run like crap idling as well as revving in neutral, or accelerating

If temp only, look at tune. Ie properly remove the pc.
Oddly enough, I can't get it to be consistent at all. I've had the bike fire up cold and run like crap, I've had the bike hot and running good. No idea.

What is the process for fully removing/temporarily disconnecting a PCIII?

Video of sputtering

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
ordered the plugs, go to pick them up. parts store guy says "NGK plugs, $14.xx please". Those plugs are over 6 dollars a piece. Sure enough they only ordered 2. Had them order two more and just got them. Got my bike taken apart and one coil out. Get my DMM, flick it to ohms and I get one beep and the display turns off. Cool, I got AAs and AAAs all day. Pull the cover off and it's a 9v...lol always. 😣

Took the 9v out of my schecter to delay a trip to the store. The coils all tested within spec, though not with the consistency I'd hope for. Two primaries were at 0.33 ohms, 0.01 ohm out of spec. Not going to find me spending 200 bucks to fix that lol. May have also been the fact that I was handling them and got them warmer than test temp. Lowest secondary I saw was 5 kohm and the highest was 5.8 kohm, the others being +- 0.1 kohm to each of those.

Plugs looked surprisingly great. Probably was not worth the 28 dollars I spent on new ones besides peace of mind. Now I'm debating even tuning the thing besides maybe having it dyno tuned for my elevation.

No idea if the problem is still there, it's 11pm so I can't let the bike get up to temp and I'm too tired to ride the thing.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
Yeah my plugs were $10 is a piece. But last night bosch platinum for my 03 civic are $113.50 each!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm gonna cruise into town tonight. I'll be interested to see if it still occurs. I'm starting to wonder if it's a voltage issue or something. Voltage too low to run for a split second? It has a new battery and I put an OEM stator and R/R in it. New R/R plug and terminals too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Plugs didn't fix it, the problem was also immediate on start up. I almost stalled going up my driveway. It's not the worst problem I could be having, but it can get pretty annoying. Especially in a crummy city like mine where they time every light so you hit it red :rolleyes: I'll pull the PCIII out and if that fixes it, I'll call Dynojet and see what's up. I can't see what else it could be? I put a full tank of fresh gas in tonight and that didn't make any difference. I reseated the coils and everything so there's nothing wrong there.

The night wasn't all bad. I did get to follow-race with a 2001ish GSXR a bit. Did some launches light to light, then got on the freeway for a bit. He dropped a few gears and I followed. I saw my shift light in 6th gear for a bit so I was nearing my 140mph gearing limit.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
140? Yeah, low gears. My 15/43 is good for 160+. The install instructions are probably on the pc website to do the reverse order.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
140? Yeah, low gears. My 15/43 is good for 160+. The install instructions are probably on the pc website to do the reverse order.
I think it was a stockish 1000. I was able to keep up no problem in the acceleration but he was scooting on the interstate. I'm running a 15/50 520 setup. I'm pretty fat so it's actually the perfect gearing setup. It goes right to the redline but doesn't actually bounce off the rev limiter. Got 141 on my GPS speedo.

I might call Dynojet first, ask them if it's a common problem. They'll probably just blow me off but it can't hurt. Really don't feel like pulling the bike apart AGAIN.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
I hear you.. I just bought a project civic. Brand new head. Still has an oil ring stuck. Ugh. Not wanting to pull my brand new $400 head and change the rings on one plug. Then another gasket.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I hear you.. I just bought a project civic. Brand new head. Still has an oil ring stuck. Ugh. Not wanting to pull my brand new $400 head and change the rings on one plug. Then another gasket.
Cylinder soak? Might not do anything but it's probably cheaper than even the head gasket.

I just don't like messing with the fuel tank. Or even the airbox really haha.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
First and only plug change on my '17 at 16k miles took 3 hours!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
First and only plug change on my '17 at 16k miles took 3 hours!
These 2005s are pretty bare bones. I can have it running in about 45 minutes. I prefer to take the whole tank off and that makes the job go a lot quicker IMO.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,003 Posts
I concur that would have been simpler. Wasted time trying to pin it up and still get in the airbox access panel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I concur that would have been simpler. Wasted time trying to pin it up and still get in the airbox access panel.
I learned on my first spark plug job that when doing it that way, the tank doesn't go far enough back to allow appropriate access...or really any access. Barely enough to unplug the fuel pump stuff. Tilting it back further seems to risk chipping the paint. I made the ultimate mistake by leaving the tank propped with the front end down (I had no caps to plug the fuel pump). Over the course of a few days, the pressure change caused leaking at the cap and it totally ruined the paint around the fuel filler. It was obviously a poorly done respray, but still bummed me out none the less.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
OK, I put an IR gun on the header. Cyl 1 was much colder (can't remember but I think it got to 215F? ambient was 80) than the other 3 which were getting up towards 425 or more. I swapped the coils between 1 and 2, no difference. I unplugged the coil to cylinder 1 and it barely started, sounded like a plugged up 450 dirtbike, and barely revved up. So, it's a contributing cylinder but I guess it's not completely solid. I'll do more investigating, I'm wondering if it's wiring related just due to the sharp angle of the coil plug.

Currently the bike is idling solid and revs up like when it's running good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
this is one of those things that, much like my original issue, people make a thread, fix/give up on it, and don't update the thread lol.

I rented the compression tester from the parts store and I'll run it tomorrow. I'm fearing the worst but just can't imagine. There's no cat and there is NO smoke at all so how could it be a hole'd piston or bad rings. I was thinking about pulling the header off and idling it for a few seconds to see exactly what's coming out of that cylinder. If it's all good with the compression I'll pull the injectors out and futz with em.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

What is the process for fully removing/temporarily disconnecting a PCIII?

Video of sputtering

Haven't read the thread; skimmed parts of of the first page. But that and you were saying it cold-started missing, sounds like my experiences with failing spark plug coils. See my comments on testing coils here... 2005 r6

Okay I see the bike is modified. When troubleshooting, the general idea is to set things back into parameter... which often means stock. But if other things are modified, such as the exhaust, the PCIII may have been added to compensate; in which case it's best to leave it be; unless you have the original parts.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts