Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Works great on my clear shield that came with the helmet, they were out of stock so I couldn't get one for my dark visor. I wish they offered black or smoked pinlocks though (the actual pin that sticks in the visor). I'm thinking I might pop them out and hit them with that tail light smoke crap that dbags put on their trucks.

speaking of dbags, saw a dude riding a HD bagger today. he was wearing a sun visor hat backwards. For when you're a dbag that needs a backwards hat, but you're also a harley rider and need the minimum possible head protection so you look as cool as possible. A backwards snapback would just be TOO MUCH protection :LOL:

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,059 Posts
L O L

Protection is often times overrated...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
No progress on the bike. Feel like I should throw an update out anyways... not that anyone should care haha.

Partzilla......... I've had good experience with them in the past. I have ordered over $900 in parts by now. The shipping times can be annoying (I mean it's OEM parts for a 15 year old bike), but the parts always got here... until a few weeks ago. I had a really bad situation go down which ended up in me losing a toolkit's worth of metric wrenches, hex keys, and a ratchet. By toolkit's worth, I mean I bought a couple of those DeWalt 181 piece tool kits to throw in my vehicles and I lost all that stuff out of one of them. I also lost my ram air duct covers and all the hardware for the front fairing setup. Since it was someone else's fault and being covered on their dime, I ordered all the bike related shit new OEM. That ended up being a $200 order with partzilla and my bike being nearly unrideable until at least few nuts and bolts arrived. The nuts and bolts did ship ASAP and I was able to ride with just a nose cone (currently how my bike sits). I don't have my other fairings on so it looks like one of those SV650s's with just a bikini fairing. Atrocious, but rideable.

The order was placed AUGUST 2ND!!! They shipped that 200 dollar order in three packages as I selected the expedited rush shipping. Basically, they ship the parts as they receive them. The first two packages were 2nd day air through UPS on the 11th. Not too shabby. The third package, they kept telling me they'd have the parts next week. Next week. Next week. 4 months later(!!!) I get an e-mail that my parts shipped out via UPS Surepost. Ruh roh, that will never arrive with the address they have. I quickly went to UPS and paid them 3.50 to bump the package up to ground before it ever shipped out. For some reason, UPS still sent the upgraded package through USPS, who deemed the item undeliverable and immediately returned it to sender. OK, they will just resend it through UPS Ground no problem. A week later, e-mail that I have a $192 dollar refund to my paypal. WTH? I send Partzilla an e-mail and tell them I'd still like those parts so if they could send them out to the correct courier service, that'd be great. They tell me that they don't do that and I'll have to order the parts again. Maybe that's what I'd tell someone that just ordered parts, but I've spent 800 dollars with them and I've been waiting 4 months for these pieces that they said were in stock 3.5 months ago. Pretty cheesy. UPS also refused to make things right, as the problem was caused by them.

The reason I bring all that up is because I ordered those brushes on the 31st (saturday, so realistically ordered on the 2nd) and they told me they were in stock ready to ship. Well two weeks later, they just shipped out today. I get that it's a 15 year old bike and parts aren't as common, but don't tell me you have them ready to ship next day and leave me hanging for two weeks haha. The best part is that once I get my bike running, I have to deal with that sputtering shit again and figure out what that is.

The best part about THAT is that I can't even ride a bike anymore because I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand from working to make money to fix my bike. I have next to no feeling in my fingers/palm minus the pinky, which is fine. It also is painful to grip anything, so yeah I'm done with the bike until I get this squared away. Luckily I work for a really cool company. Once I told my supervisor, he sent me info to contact their 24/7 nurse hotline and they got me set up with a doctor. I got all that done from 6PM to 7PM, with braces being shipped out to my door. I refused their pill prescription and light duty restriction as I've only been working with them for 13 days and didn't want to seem like a pill head or a scammer. My schedule should work out good too, I have a 3.5hr day tomorrow, Wednesday off and hopefully the braces will arrive by then because I have an 6.5 and 11 hour day for Thursday and Friday. The carpal tunnel crap isn't hurting me as much as it is killing my efficiency. I'm dropping stuff all the time and can't make twisting motions for crap.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,059 Posts
Bummer dude! I've had a rash of lost, suddenly out of stock, wrong address, etc shipping problems lately too. I cancelled a $350 injen intake for my car after 10 days the manufacturer said they build to order and it's a couple more weeks out. I'm like I paid already and you expect me to wait 3 weeks without stating that prior to accepting my order and payment?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Wish you a speedy and complete recovery on the nerve injury... and yeah, keep telling them to keep their drugs. 👍🙂

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
keep telling them to keep their drugs. 👍🙂
I haven't been to a doctor in so long. It's always the same. The lady that handles statewide injury claims for my company says I will most likely need a little bit of PT and be good to go. Meanwhile, the doctor tells me "go easy on it, here's some pills" :LOL:

Seems like all doctors do is recommend opiates, amphetamines, or anti depressants. It's fine, they broke me on the anti inflammatory/painkillers thing anyways. I spent 12 hours with a gnarly break in my left radius because I couldn't afford $160 dollars for two ibuprofen at the hospital.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
brushes arrived 2 hours ago. Not really as much of a rebuild as I was hoping for. I know when purchasing OEM parts, you get what you pay for and that's it (o-rings and gaskets aren't included like aftermarket) but man, I was missing like 3 o-rings that were pictured in the diagram as part of the brushes, but not included. The other stuff wasn't even listed as something you could buy, so I had to reuse the o-rings on the main screws.

I got the commutator refreshed as much as I could with sandpaper and metal prep scrubbies. I hooked it up to the bike and it just clicks. FFS. Battery is good, hooked the starter up to my truck battery and it's good too. I'm thinking I didn't have it grounded well enough while I was trying to test it, but my fingers are not working so I'm gonna give it a break. It's not like I can ride the bike when it's done. All my fuel evaporated and I can't tell if I'm touching the front brake or not :D

edit 1 Put the terminal back on, grounded it to the frame with jumpers... it's all good. Now I just have to stick it in the hole stewart and do a compression check. If it's all good imma send the injectors out. I'm tempted to just throw it all back together but again, I can't ride it as I've said a bunch already.

edit 2 How long does it take to get the starter in the hole? A long ass time if you have no feeling in your right digits. I can't tell if I'm touching a smooth piece of glass or an 80 grit strip of sandpaper, it's pretty bad. I essentially have two left hands as far as dexterity goes. It's all together now though. It was a pain to get the gears meshed up, but then for some reason the starter needed to go in about a quarter inch and just wouldn't. Probably didn't help that I was using chain lube for the o-ring...I completely forgot that it gets ultra tacky after a few seconds. I was going to start the compression check tonight but my battery is dead. Kind of a bummer because I could have had the injectors all packaged up and ready to ship tomorrow on the way home from work. Now I won't be able to until Monday.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
So I did a compression test. Man what a pain in the ass. The whole day sucked. Waking up sucked, driving to work sucked, work was well below average (guy right above me has a little guy complex haha), getting lunch for tomorrow sucked, driving home sucked, working on the bike sucked. Started off on cylinder #4 (the cold one) getting 70psi...WTH??? I unscrew the gauge and start trying to thread it into spark plug #3 hole and it won't grab. dafuq?? Try to screw it in more and it just will not go in. I look at it, way too big to fit in the spark plug hole...and about that time I notice the adapter is missing off of it. FFS! I spent the next hour or so trying to screw and unscrew the hose into the stuck adapter hoping it will eventually come out. I checked youtube, dude recommends hammering a flat head bit into the adapter and turn. Issue being, this is an M10 adapter and the bits don't fit. Eventually I take an R3 square recess bit and tap it in there. To my complete surprise and amazement, the whole adapter came out on the screw driver. I didn't even have to dig it out of the spark plug tube! That was a good feeling while it lasted. Now there's an R3 bit stuck hardcore in my adapter and I can't get it out cause I don't have a small enough tool to bang it out the other side. Keep in mind, the whole time I'm thinking about how cyl 4 has 70psi compression when it should be like 3 times higher. I know I'm at elevation, but that should still be 175ish psi.

I test the other cylinders, all 70psi perfectly, +- MAYBE 1 psi on the 30 dollar tester. This bike runs like a raped ape so I know all 4 cylinders aren't 70psi on a 12.4:1 engine. I tried it with oil and holding the throttle and slides open, think it went to 80psi with oil but I can't remember...could have stayed the same. Not worried about compression, or at least I know it's not the cause of my cold cylinder. Time to ship the injectors off and get the bike running again.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,059 Posts
The gauge is guaranteed off, but around 80psi or more off? Perhaps. But all 4 are reading under 10 psi difference I would not worry as to one weak ring. I haven't bought the adapter to check my compression, but on hondas I always wonder "what if" that damn thing comes off way down in the head. Looks like I'll weld one to not have that happen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The gauge is guaranteed off, but around 80psi or more off? Perhaps. But all 4 are reading under 10 psi difference I would not worry as to one weak ring. I haven't bought the adapter to check my compression, but on hondas I always wonder "what if" that damn thing comes off way down in the head. Looks like I'll weld one to not have that happen.
Hello from my legally required lunch break!

I've never had good luck with compression testers. No idea why but I always get an ultra low reading and the engine runs fine.

Stuck adapter was my fault. As I was lowering it into the #4 plug tube, I was thinking "I should wrench that fitting together. I had it hand tight but figured it would stay together. After I got it out, I vice gripped it together and didn't have an issue with it.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Engine has massive valve overlap. Probably needs to turn faster than starter speed to get a good compression reading?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Engine has massive valve overlap. Probably needs to turn faster than starter speed to get a good compression reading?
not my problem :LOL:

injectors arrived at Pro Flow today, say they ship out Friday or Saturday and I have a working bike by the end of next week. I start PT on Monday so they'll tell me what's up. I've been wanting to ride and play guitar but have stopped doing both to reduce risk. If they tell me I'm fine to ride, I'm grabbing a jerry of 91 octane on the way home home >: )

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Absent of mechanical damage like a cracked head, low compression is generally always valves/seats or piston ring wear.
Air can escape an opening only so fast, so if your compression increases with higher crank speed, then that may serve as confirmation a problem or/and wear. What Is Valve Overlap?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I'm pretty well versed in valve/cam stuff but I have no interest in working a DOHC bike to that extent. It's way too small of a space to comfortably work and just too complicated for the tools/space that I have available. Valve shim kit and a good micrometer is going to cost 250 dollars, plus I'm working outside so there's all types of leaves, dust, bugs etc. that could find their way into my engine.

It's fun when it's a good ol 4 cylinder center pivot SOHC and you adjust valves with a 12mm and a flat head. I generally lose interest in valve clearance jobs when it's DOHC with buckets...and that's on a truck engine. Count me out when it's a DOHC shim under bucket 15.5k revving 4 cylinder buried halfway into a frame.

I'll might check them (probably won't), but if they're out of spec it's going to a shop. I'm not going to chase possible issues when the bike runs fine. It starts up and idles great (besides that sputtering issue which I think is fueling) so I'm pretty sure there is just something wrong with that gauge. An R6 with 70psi compression wouldn't start or idle and I've never had an issue with idling down low. I like to have my idle at or above 2k though

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Assuming the mechanical gauge is precise, 2k is 28% higher than spec. (extra clutch wear)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
hmmmm...

I don't actually know where I let it idle. I haven't ridden the bike in so long. I seem to remember having the needle at 6 o' clock, but that would be 1k rpm. 2k would be way too high, I surely didn't have it up there. I'll have to see when I start it up next time. I wouldn't be worried about clutch wear, stunt bois keep theirs at 3k or more and their clutches last surprisingly long for how much abuse they get.

checked some old video, looks like I had it a fair bit under 1.5k...probably 1300 or something

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Wet clutches are pretty durable. But clutches on these are fine work I'd rather stave off as long as possible. Mine idles ~2k cold. ~1400 warm. 1450 is spec, memory serving. If you're 1300, that's fine. Gauges aren't likely ~that~ precise anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
That might be what I'm remembering, the cold idle.

manual says 1,250 to 1,350. Better drop that idle son!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Ordered some black Friday bike parts. new HALO fuel cap setup, weighted bar ends (currently have no bar end on throttle side cause the rubber insert stripped out), new grips as I cut my other ones to keep the bar end from touching, air injection block plates as I'm sick of taking this thing out all the time and would like to dyno the bike one day, and some safety wire pliers. The pliers weren't totally necessary, but I'd be riding and find my grip half way off the throttle tube. That's a big no with new bar ends.

I've heard not great things about the HALO cap, so I'll try and throw something over it when it's parked in the rain. Really should have gotten the Vortex V3 but if the HALO sux I'll call and bitch and try to get a coupon or return or something.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts