Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am a new rider and somewhat unfamiliar with the parts of an R6. I am in the process of buying a 2003 R6 from a friend. It was droped pretty bad once and there is a plastic bar that is seems like the bar holds the front of the bike to the frame. It runs from under the instruments to under the tank. I have not been able to find the part in any diagrams or anything. The bike rides fine as is but the front cowling/headlights/instruments gets shaky sometimes. Any info on part number or name would be helpful.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah that is the part you are refering to in your post. It isn't made of plastic. I think it is aluminum or maybe steel. It holds on your whole front faring and your windscreen and guages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont know guys that doesnt look like it. The part is not that tall in the long part. The other day I pulled the piece back into position and the whole front of the bike moved back. The two side farings slid into place and came into contact with the frame. If it is this part how vital is it? It is my first bike and I am sure to drop it eventually so should i wait to fix it?

·
Registered
886 Posts
im 90 % sure this is the part basically if you look right under your triple tree in between yor bars under the ignition there should bee this part bolted on the frame and hold ing onto the whole front end .. my boy dropped his bike while back and i replaced this part for him .. after he dropped it it cracked and the whole front end would shake but it would hold its place due to the other fairings holding it up .. is it critical um yeah i wouldn't be riding my bike to much like that... bad thing about it not evryone carrys this factory part so we had to order it through the yamaha dealer 200 bucks..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah that looks right. anyone know how indepth the repair is if i can get the part. my friend has a pretty well stocked garage and the whole house is full of yamaha nuts. Think the repair needs to be done professionally or we can do it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
It probably wouldn't be too hard of a part to install. If you use the part break out that are on the Yamaha website you can probably use the illustrations to figure out where everything goes. You can buy the Yamaha shop manuals that the factory service guys use for 60-100 dollars and it would tell you step by step how to install. It will all come down to how familiar you are to turning a wrench.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't be suprised if you tear that thing apart and find a few more broken items down there either.

·
Registered
953 Posts
jsut a suggestion about buying a bike dropped (ever/hard). stuff you can't see can get damaged. i bought a bike that was just dropped turning at a stop sign. for a week or two i was finding borken/missing pieces besides the obvious fairing damage. be careful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts