Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
567 Posts
Yeah that is not a good idea if you like your tire to not be topped up with air every day.

Reactions: DonDiablo333

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Plug it or buy a replacement... 180/55 tires go for about $100 these days.
Years ago when I got my ZX12... the bike came with a 200mm rear tire. Got a puncture like yours... took the tire off in my garage with spoons. Did a vulcanizing patch, remounted amd never had any issues.
Tire was often seeing speeds in excess of 180 and dragstrip passes north of 148mph. After a few months I let a local guy talk me into a 180mm replacement. Worked better than that 200mm turd dunlop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plug it or buy a replacement... 180/55 tires go for about $100 these days.
Years ago when I got my ZX12... the bike came with a 200mm rear tire. Got a puncture like yours... took the tire off in my garage with spoons. Did a vulcanizing patch, remounted amd never had any issues.
Tire was often seeing speeds in excess of 180 and dragstrip passes north of 148mph. After a few months I let a local guy talk me into a 180mm replacement. Worked better than that 200mm turd dunlop.
Ok thnx bro, should I replace both or just the back?

·
Registered
19 Posts
all depends on tire depth of the good one!. look on tire for minimum tread depth mark. if you plugged a tire get it off. i used patches b4 . never had an issue but on my personal cars way back in the day. trying to save money cost me in the long run. hot day in NM driving to okla. tire let go 30 miles outside of ABQ.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
567 Posts
Head always makes thing swell!

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
567 Posts
Looks like your keyboard needs a cleanin' out.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Safest thing to do hands down is to replace. DO what jaydomzz recommended.

Any tire that has been run flat is ruined; there's damage on the inside that can't be seen; yes we know this tire has not been run flat. But for the record, plugs and tire-tech have come a long way since the 80s. Done properly, (which is the problem,) there is zero chance for blowout. Should use rubber cement along with the plugs. Not sure why the 'zon kits lack that component when every kit I purchased and used in the past had them. Never patch on or close to sidewalls.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
dont ever PLUG a tire. example: tire heats up, expands. speed. plug gets thrown out. flat blow out at high speeds. PATCH OR REPLACE!! DONT EVER PLUG A BIKE TIRE
Ive plugged peoples tires before... to get them home. Ive plugged my own tires... and drove them for months like that. There is a proper way to do things.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
567 Posts
Not for very long!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Dude, TB has done 350 MPH on eight continents in 20 inches of rain while you were wearing a breast-milk mustache. You didn't know? 😁

Wouldn't ever (racing or not) recommend it, but I did it. Wore those fuzkers bald having forgot that plug was ever in it LoL. Once I remembered and went looking for it, it was actually hard to find it. None of the other tires I've plugged have ever leaked air and also wore them well past the tread-mark. Modern plugs on a modern, otherwise good tire, done right, are pretty damned hardy. But no, I would never ever recommend it to anyone. Too many variables and second to brakes, tires are THE most important thing on most any vehicle. (obviously not trains)

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
567 Posts
Lol. Maybe I need a turbo?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts