Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
are you doing over 150 mph plus with a plug. im guessing not that was our conversation.
So by your standards... a functioning tire should go 150mph no problems...eh?? Now do you need miles and miles of road to achieve such speeds or 1500'???

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
567 Posts
Half mile should do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I looked at my tire and was wondering if this would cause my bike to completely lose traction and slip out while going straight, thnx
So by your standards... a functioning tire should go 150mph no problems...eh?? Now do you need miles and miles of road to achieve such speeds or 1500'???
Lets be extremely clear here, never, ever, never plug a bike tire. It’s the most dangerous thing you can do. Also, don’t ride on tires that at more than 3 years old. Even if minor wear, toss ‘em. The compounds dry up and although they may look sticky, they aren’t. Get a set of Q3’s and some knee pucks. You’ll need them.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Lets be extremely clear here, never, ever, never plug a bike tire. It’s the most dangerous thing you can do. Also, don’t ride on tires that at more than 3 years old. Even if minor wear, toss ‘em. The compounds dry up and although they may look sticky, they aren’t. Get a set of Q3’s and some knee pucks. You’ll need them.
you are absolutely full of shit. Ive retailers ship 5yr old tires to folks no problem.
In what kind of fantasy land do you live in where the human eyes are a durometer??? hahaha. Id bet 85% of the members on this forum have tires on their bikes >4yrs old. Not even going to guess the percentage capable of pushing the limits of traction but its <5% Harley riders are worst... those flakes have >10yr old tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you are absolutely full of shit. Ive retailers ship 5yr old tires to folks no problem.
In what kind of fantasy land do you live in where the human eyes are a durometer??? hahaha. Id bet 85% of the members on this forum have tires on their bikes >4yrs old. Not even going to guess the percentage capable of pushing the limits of traction but its <5% Harley riders are worst... those flakes have >10yr old tires.

Maybe you're a duffer that shifts at 2500 rpm's and doesn't lean more that 5 degrees in a corner. If so, ride those stones till they fall off. Suggesting that 85% of the riders on this forum use tires that are >4 years old is very presumptuous of you. Probably incorrect as well. Assuming that 95% of us are all back markers that can't get more than 5% out of our bikes is another leap I would not take.

A quick search on youtube comes up with all kinds of useful information on tire life V performance. I urge you to check it out. Sure, It's not exactly like milk in the refrigerator, but they do expire. 5 years is a good cut off point depending on how you ride and what your expectations for are safety. If, as you say 85% of the R6 riders out there are riding on tires that are >4 years old and retailers are routinely sending them 5 year old rubber, you need a new vendor or stop paying what looks like a bargain basement deal.
The R6 is a very capable bike. By all accounts it's a purpose built track bike with a license plate on it, It would be a shame to trash it or worse because those discounted 5 year olds' just didn't deliver the performance promised in the ads. I can't tell you how many times I've been deep into a long blind corner, maybe a little hot, praying that my tires do their thing. Riding fresh Q3's is very reassuring that i've prepared my ride the best I can for just this situation.

Oh, and as for Harley riders, spot on. Steer clear when you see them ahead. No clue! ahahha

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
567 Posts
The youngest tires were my battlax S22.. 4 months old when mounted. Oldest still under 13 months old. Check your sidewall blocks. If you ride 600 miles a week like me, the rear only last 4 months then recycler time. Fronts go about 6 months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The youngest tires were my battlax S22.. 4 months old when mounted. Oldest still under 13 months old. Check your sidewall blocks. If you ride 600 miles a week like me, the rear only last 4 months then recycler time. Fronts go about 6 months.
I'm sure that when the time does come to get new rubber, you're not getting 5 year old left overs.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
567 Posts
No, in over 10 years the oldest was under 13 months.

Reactions: Michael McCloskey

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Man, 600 miles a week and I'd be filling up 3-4 times a week. (typically between 130 & 155 mile fill-ups) I used to wait until longer but eventually learned, that light means now; not ten to twenty miles later. The Michelin PR4s will give you much better tire life. Hot pavement does have a huge impact on tire wear.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
567 Posts
Yeah im about 150mi to reserve then at 200 I'm pushing her fat ass! Pilot rear will be needed soon. I'm on my wear bars.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
The R6 is a very capable bike. By all accounts it's a purpose built track bike with a license plate on it, It would be a shame to trash it or worse because those discounted 5 year olds' just didn't deliver the performance promised in the ads. I can't tell you how many times I've been deep into a long blind corner, maybe a little hot, praying that my tires do their thing. Riding fresh Q3's is very reassuring that i've prepared my ride the best I can for just this situation.

Oh, and as for Harley riders, spot on. Steer clear when you see them ahead. No clue! ahahha
a youtoob link??? thats where you are getting your info from? You are losing credibility by the post. The fact you are claiming you could tell the difference between a 2 month old Q4 or a 3yr old Q3 is even funnier. Those are STREET tires... but dont let that get in the way of a truthful discussion.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Car tire just developed a slow leak. Even though they're super low profile, couldn't tell by looking at them. TPMS warned me around 20 lbs. Didn't hear any scraping on the pavement so didn't think anything was in the tire. But felt around the parameter anyway. Topped it off, released the lever which popped it off and heard hissing. Put my finger over the valve and felt air rushing out. Replaced the core. Problem solved. Next morning leaving for work... get the light again. After work, got my tire plugs all nice and ready... but couldn't find any punctures in the tread. Went and got the spray bottle and hit the valve core. No bubbling. But at the base of the stem... bubbling. Closer look revealed that the stem was partially yanked out. Thanks service people! Can't even mount a tire or check pressure correctly. 🙄

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks bro will do:)

·
Registered
2011 R6 Race Bike
74 Posts
Just replace tire man. If funds prevent you from doing so, then patch it. Should the tire lose its air, you can still safely ride to a stop. I once picked up a nail on the track in rear tire and it went flat in 2 corners. Almost launched me to the moon but I was able to pull off safely. Being it is the rear tire, you have alot more opportunity to feel it get low and pull over. If patched correctly it should never be an issue. Just letting you know that if the worse scenario happens (flat) you will feel it immediately and be able to get off road.

I would buy a new rear just for piece of mind. Tires are a consumable on a bike that will be changed often anyways. Do you really want to ride constantly thinking about your rear tire?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just replace tire man. If funds prevent you from doing so, then patch it. Should the tire lose its air, you can still safely ride to a stop. I once picked up a nail on the track in rear tire and it went flat in 2 corners. Almost launched me to the moon but I was able to pull off safely. Being it is the rear tire, you have alot more opportunity to feel it get low and pull over. If patched correctly it should never be an issue. Just letting you know that if the worse scenario happens (flat) you will feel it immediately and be able to get off road.

I would buy a new rear just for piece of mind. Tires are a consumable on a bike that will be changed often anyways. Do you really want to ride constantly thinking about your rear tire?
Agreed, thank you I’m debating between Q3 and Q4 right now

·
Registered
2011 R6 Race Bike
74 Posts
Unless your pushing the tires limits on track, you wont notice the gains on the street. Save some money and get a proven tire (Q3+) that still has tremendous grip if you do decide to act silly on the road.

Cant go wrong with either... Hard to say because I am a Pirelli fan boy..

21 - 36 of 36 Posts