Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed I had a flat (nail) rear tire, so I'm ordering a new one...
180/55/17 conti sport attack is what I am leaning towards, but Im not too familiar with different brands

What would you suggest for a rider on solely streets, never track. Enjoys spirited riding ever now and again and some decent longevity out of the tire. Thanks!

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
i would not ride on a plugged tire. you only have 2 wheels in the first place. how safe would you feel doing high speeds and twisty roads on a plugged tire.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I tell you, in my early riding days...I plugged lots of tires and then rode the crap out of them. Twisties, wheelies that were miles long, burnouts...and the plugs stay in just fine. That said, discretion is the better part of valor so if you can afford a new tire, get one and screw plugging. I don't plug tires anymore, its just not worth the risk...

·
where da shrooms at?
2,708 Posts
I tell you, in my early riding days...I plugged lots of tires and then rode the crap out of them. Twisties, wheelies that were miles long, burnouts...and the plugs stay in just fine. That said, discretion is the better part of valor so if you can afford a new tire, get one and screw plugging. I don't plug tires anymore, its just not worth the risk...
^^^^^

same here, when i started riding, id plug up my tires, now i just get new tires. but it wasnt bad when i plugged them up. id still get 5000 miles out of the tire with the plug. but its true if you got the money to buy a new tire, dont risk it with a plug.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont want to run the risk of a plugged tire, so Im getting a new one. I went to the local shop and they have Conti Force tires in stock, will mount it for $150
Should I do this or order something else?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
personally i think contis are poop and I buy 002 bridgestones or 2cts or power races...but then, my tire bill rapes me...:hump

·
dodging cars on my R6
708 Posts
Same thing happened to me this weekend. I was so pissed when I saw the nail in my tire, not even 1000 miles yet. I just happened to check my tires for what ever reason and felt the rear was low and found a nail.

I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot Road 2. I only ride the streets as well so it seems like it should be a good tire.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My front OEM tire caught a nail about 1000 miles after i got the bike. I plugged it myself, and have been riding it for about 5000 miles. It's up to you, but i've ridden many miles with a plugged tire in the past. BTW, i'm going with the Conti Attack tires when i need some. Probably the Sports but maybe the Road Attacks becasue i put so many straight ass interstate miles on the bike.

gary

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeahh I might go with the road attacks cuz I hear they give better mileage, and I do probably 50/50 interstate/city miles

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got a nail in my tire after 57 miles. I thinking of getting a tube? Tubes better then plugs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts