Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellaz my friend just got a big nail in his brand new tire, looks to go pretty deep. Would this be a problem to ride with if the pressure remains constant? Please notify me i'd hate to see som1 go down over somthing so simple. Any advise at all would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
it will go flat eventually, u better get a new tire before you get a blow out, or somthing else that will just cost you even more money!
:cheers

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
being a mechanic i would say change the tire. but at the same time being a cheap ass i say get a plug patch. i had the same problem, i just got my new bike and when the odometer read 60 miles i noticed a nail in my tire. thought it over, and got just used a tire plug. cant see a tire go to waste with only 60 miles on it. to this day i put on over 4500 miles and it still holding. i will change the pair in a week or so.

so bottom line..... ask your self "when going 150 mph, are you going to think about that plug that is in your tire?"...... if the answer is yes, then get a new tire.

·
Registered
712 Posts
WEll if i was tight on moey i'd get it patched, kinda like you do to a car tire....but for complete piece of mind, i'd buy a new tire that way i wouldn't have to worry about it!

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
if your friend rides the bike hard then new tire if hes more of a cruiser then a patch will be ok till he can save enough to get a new one :cheers

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't know how your friend's ride but for my experience, I had it happened to me twice already.

The first time, I was kind of scared and asked tons of questions. Then I decided, what the heck, I will simply plug it. I was also told to only used motorcycle plug and should only be done from the inside.

Well, I had done many plugs on car tire before and I know they stick very well. So I plugged my first nail with a car tire plug right from the outside. This nail was right in the center of the rear tire. I since put over 2K miles on that rear tire until it was almost down to the thread. I road with that tire with speed up to 110mph on the freeway before I replaced the tire.

Two weeks ago, I got another nail in my brand new tire. This time it is 1.5" to the side from the center. I just plugged that son of a bitch again and pumped the tire back up. Thirty minutes later, I was riding on that tire again. I am still riding on it right now and plan to ride on it until it wear out.

Am I concern? Yes. I know that I am not riding on a perfect tire so I alway check up on it. Other than that, I feel pretty comfortable about it.

But if your friend's is into stunting, then he may not want to patch it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts