Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
i wanna go fast!
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im really strapped for cash right now. since i just bought a bunch of other stuff. what are your thoughts on getting a patch?

·
My R6 has a boo boo.
416 Posts
I have never patched a tire, I dont think i ever will. I feel that with the way the tires bend and with heat cycles, that it would be dangerous. See if you can go to a race track and get a race take-off from some one. That would be safer than a plug and patch. In my opinion.

·
Registered
218 Posts
my friend got nail in tire and plugged it, and has been on it for about 400 miles, but I wouldn't trust it

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
I have had mulitiple tires pick up nails or screws. I have NEVER patched a tire.

Dunlop says (thats what type of tire I run) that Motorcycle tires CAN be patched, but they are rendered USELESS and unsafe above 80 MPH. I personally think they are not 100 % trustworthy if patched.

Is your life REALLY worth saving 150 bucks to run a patched tire?

Just get a new one

(My .02)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Go for the patch if you want, just consider the consequences and if you are okay with them.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
My friend from work has had three patches on an old tire & one plug on his newer tire(both rears).The plug is recent(within 2 weeks), but the patches are from a year to 3 months ago.Rides to work everyday & has never had any problems.Wore out the old rear tire, got a new one about 3 months ago & now has a plug on the new tire.So far so good.Ive used plugs about a half dozen times on my car with no problems, but have yet to need one on my bike.

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
i had a patch in my prev back tire.... rode about 3500 miles on it and sometimes was speeding at 130-140 (not for long though) and usually at 80-90miles/hr... at the time i didnt know about the poss consequences :(.... glad nothing happened

anyway, the patch at a prof shop costed me $85... considering the new rear tire is $130-150 (plus installation), i'd rather get a new tire vs patching it... however, u should consider your riding style, how much life current tire has left, etc.

·
i wanna go fast!
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just needed something for temp till a paycheck came in. i guess ill just wait 2 weeks and get a new tire with the paycheck. now that i decided to get new rear tire. what tire should i get. i dont need the most expensive but whats everyone riding?

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Bridgestone BT021. It's the new sport touring tire with a harder center for the boring parts of the commute and softer sides for the fun parts. They can handle a trackday without any fuss, so you don't have to worry about them not sticking.

·
DallasKrew.com
1,761 Posts
a topic that has always been an hot issue..to patch a tire or not.. the only way you can answer that is asking yourself..what are the odds that a patched tire will hold the one time you decide to twist the throttle little hard or push the bike through corners.. 50/50? personally i like the peace of mind..tires are one of the important things on your bike that needs to be maintained well..we dont have the luxury of three other wheels to balance when one blows.. i have had friends that patched their up and still run with it no problem and I have a few that have had blow outs.. save your money and get it replaced is my only opinion for this issue.

·
I say, Say whaaat!
40 Posts
Same thing happend to me yesterday mourn. I put a plug in it for free, ordered new tires but have not been riding on it yet. I put air in the tire and its holding. Might ride home but not sure. I def wont push it, but still iffy riding. Tires should be here fri. I want to know how well it will hold just riding str8t up?

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
u'd be fine for a while but seriously dont push it.... speed limit should be fine considering u dont put much weigth on the bike....

like i'd mentioned b4, i used a patched tire for more than half of the last season and didnt know i wasnt supposed to... i also pushed it a lot upto 130-140 sometimes which was stupid but i didnt know so i dont recommend u do that sh*t but till fri u can certainly ride if tire was plugged properly and holds air....

enjoy, finaly there is nice weather :YEA

·
Registered
82 Posts
i just got a screw today the sucky thing is i hust got the tire i got like 100 miles on it i didnt even get a chance to wear the edge, but since atleast 30% of my riding is twistys and i like doing wheelies ill just get a new tire but thats anoth 160 bucks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts