Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to go get gas this afternoon and I usually never ride without a helmet but the gas station is a quarter mile from my house. on my way I heard this nasty snapping popping noise from my rear wheel area. Sounds rotational, when I got back I noticed that my chain was WAY loose. I adjusted the chain and went to move it thinking that it was just the loose chain but noise still present. Any ideas what to look at?? Guess it was a good move to take a short trip without a helmet, I may never have heard it with one on

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but for those who are mechanically inclined you might want to include what year it is, what kind of tires, how many miles on them, past maintenance you have done etc.

When was the last time you cleaned and lubed the chain? How old is the chain and sprocket? Are you sure your alignment is good?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it is a 2006 R6S with 9800 miles on it. I bought it used from a dealer in RI with 9258 miles on it chain was lubed then and the adjustment of the chain was done 120 miles ago. I aligned the marks on the swing arm even on both sides when I just did it

·
sit back and enjoy
535 Posts
have you changed the tires lately or even removed the rear wheel for any reason whatsoever?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Stuck masterlink? Chain guide? Wheel bearing? Sprockets ok? Wheel adjustment straight? Thats all I can think of....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help I am pretty sure I found the problem. The chain master link was a little rusty and I actually got it to pop in my fingers. I also noticed that stere are some rust spots on my chain. I lubed the snot out of it and then went for a ride sounds quiet now. How often should I lube my chain? I don't make it a habbit to ride in the rain actually this bike has only seen rain when I left it outside for a couple nights (no choice I had a dissabled car in my garage)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thanks for the help I am pretty sure I found the problem. The chain master link was a little rusty and I actually got it to pop in my fingers. I also noticed that stere are some rust spots on my chain. I lubed the snot out of it and then went for a ride sounds quiet now. How often should I lube my chain? I don't make it a habbit to ride in the rain actually this bike has only seen rain when I left it outside for a couple nights (no choice I had a dissabled car in my garage)
Had the same problem way back when. Just try to lube your chain after you ride when its warm. The lube will seap into the links better...

·
Registered
853 Posts
THow often should I lube my chain? I don't make it a habbit to ride in the rain actually this bike has only seen rain when I left it outside for a couple nights (no choice I had a dissabled car in my garage)
Every 500 miles or so I recommend scrubbing all the dirt off with kerosene and a toothbrush, then spray some chain wax on it, whether you ride in the rain or not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the noise went away for a day, I still had a rotational noise I was concerned about......Then the chain snapped! DAMN that was a long push. Luckly there are some good people in the world still. A guy driving by stopped said he has been stranded and someone helped him so he came back with a truck and a ramp to take me and my bike home. I will return the favor if I ever see someone stranded thank god for fellow riders!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts