Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the DMV today and they would not accept my MSF card due to it being in GA. I explained to them that I was active duty military and I took the MSF on the installation. They blew me off and said they couldn't except it.

I'm only came to NC to get the endorsement put on my license, and I don't have time to take the 3 day course here in order to receive the NC MSF card.

Should I just go back and get my permit and come back at a later date and take the skills test?

I called NC DOT and they gave me a number for the military section, but it seems they are off today.

Just trying to see what my best option is.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
You can keep your home of record in whatever state you want (Guessing that's NC) and still get a GA driver's license. That's gonna be your easiest option.

You have to be careful (as you found out) and do your homework when it comes to military ran MSF courses. It varies from state to state, and also from location to location if it counts or not. I remember the NC DMV wouldn't accept the MSF course if you took it on base (The free one) - but if you went out in town and paid the $150 to take it, that one counted. They are not all created equal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I've considered getting a GA driver's license. But I am getting ready to separate from the service and start college in NC. I'd rather prevent having to change my license twice within the coming months. I'm not even sure if NC would recognize GA's endorsement

I decided to call NC DOT to speak with someone more knowledgeable. The lady I spoke with told me that because I am active duty military and I am stationed outside of the state of NC that they would in fact accept the GA MSF course. She even went as far as stating that my card would waive the skills AND written test. She had me scan her a copy of my Military ID as well as my MSF card. She is supposed to take care of this and add the endorsement to my license and mail me the new one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Update: For future reference.

You can find the NC statue here in case anyone in NC needs it.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/Senate/PDF/S895v5.pdf

It was changed in 2012.

I have emailed NC DOT about this. I believe this is asinine as the skill test for MSF Basic Rider's Course is more extensive than the NC skills test. They are no longer accepting MSF cards. Only the course offered by the local colleges. I believe it is title the NC Motorcycle Education Course.

·
Resident Bulgarian
1,563 Posts
You can keep your home of record in whatever state you want (Guessing that's NC) and still get a GA driver's license. That's gonna be your easiest option.

You have to be careful (as you found out) and do your homework when it comes to military ran MSF courses. It varies from state to state, and also from location to location if it counts or not. I remember the NC DMV wouldn't accept the MSF course if you took it on base (The free one) - but if you went out in town and paid the $150 to take it, that one counted. They are not all created equal.
High Side, are you a MSF instructor?

·
End of the month!
41 Posts
Stop working with the DMV/DOT and start working with the MSF coordinator for your region. Scan and email the NC coordinator your current GA cert. They should transfer your cert from GA to NC all via email or fax. Take the NC cert to your DMV to get your endorsement. Profit!

Problem solved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stop working with the DMV/DOT and start working with the MSF coordinator for your region. Scan and email the NC coordinator your current GA cert. They should transfer your cert from GA to NC all via email or fax. Take the NC cert to your DMV to get your endorsement. Profit!

Problem solved.

..... read again. I'll highlight it in red for you.

Update: For future reference.

You can find the NC statue here in case anyone in NC needs it.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/Senate/PDF/S895v5.pdf

It was changed in 2012.

I have emailed NC DOT about this. I believe this is asinine as the skill test for MSF Basic Rider's Course is more extensive than the NC skills test. They are no longer accepting MSF cards. Only the course offered by the local colleges. I believe it is title the NC Motorcycle Education Course.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts