Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what you will need to buy along with your bike.

-HELMET
-Jacket with protection
-Gloves with protection
-A descent pair of shoes (preferrably boots)

I consider myself a somewhat extreme rider, but some of the people I ride with are over the edge. I have seen the results of (2) standies go bad, 1 at 80 mph and the other at over 100, Both riders (after tumbling/ sliding for a few hundred feet) were in good enough shape to stand and ask "is my bike o.k".

The answer to both was "No" and the remains of their bike had to be tossed into a pickup truck before the police showed up, but they were both wearing full gear and they both sustained minimal injuries compared to the catastrophic crashes they experienced.

On the other hand, there have been crashes at much lower speeds involving riders not wearing full gear. It is not pleasant.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My gloves have the carbon fiber knuckles. They are cool, but not as comfortable as the ones that just have the foam padding across the knuckles.

Do you think there is that much more protection with the carbon fiber? Of all teh wrecks I have seen, it is the palms of the hands that get hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my Joe Rocket Phoenix
Gloves and Jacket
I feel confident that they will protect me
If i Ever went rubber side up
Although they would be one time use items
Unlike Leather, but at a third of the price.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wear the ones with the carbon fiber knuckles. They will protect your knuckles more from being broken in high speed, high impact crashes, but padded ones work o.k. too for normal use (yes, they are more comfortable also)

HOWEVER

In a crash, I have seen people's hands and knuckles get very badly bruised as a result of the carbon fiber knuckles.

I will keep wearing them because a bruise is better than a break.

RIDE FAST, RIDE SAFE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm a firm believer in wearing your gear. I'm of the opinion, if it's too hot to wear your gear it's most likely too hot for the bike. Take the cage with the A/C and the stereo. LOL
But yeah, proper gear makes all the difference. Buddy looped a wheelie the other night doing 80+. Him and the bike went skidding along. The bike was put in the back of the pick-up BY the dude that looped it. He was wearing full gear.
WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump :jump

Alden

·
Registered
995 Posts
here's a reminder why to wear safety gear

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EEEW...........

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
huh huh

My liver!
My liver!

huh huh...huh huh

·
Registered
995 Posts
the bloke can donate some meat if u want

·
Registered
836 Posts
Holy shit that was nasty!

I think a lot of people overlook the importance of riding pants. One of the MSF instructors I had told me about the time he was sideswiped on I-25. He and his wife were all geared up with the exception of just wearing jeans. When they hit the pavement, his wife had her right kneecap torn off completely as soon as she touched down.

Ever since then I try to always at least wear something more than jeans. I have ridden to work a few times in just my dress slacks, but I admit that it is stupid.

I really need to buy an Aerostich if I am going to keep riding on the streets.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That picture made me decide to step up my gear a notch..

G

·
0 Posts
Well I don´t know if you´ve noticed, but since that guy seems to have lost his sword maybe you could lend it to him. :moon

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wear u gonna stick that sword
I'm gonna stick it into the balls of the next ****** that cuts me off on the tollway!!!

:flame :FU :FU :flame :asshole

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
umm, i dont wear gear ever, am i weird? i don't think about going down or wrecking when im riding. my theory is that i should stay one step ahead of traffic :twisted: i live in florida also and it's like 90 degrees all year so, plus i see people all the time riding down the street without helmets, like older people on harleys

1 - 20 of 30 Posts