Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, im about to change the spark plugs on my bike for the first time since i bought it from its previous owner (i dont think it was taken care of very well). Am i going to need any special tools for this such as a longer socket or anything? any certain brand of spark plugs you guys recommend going with? do i need to replace the wires (like on a car?) this is the first time i change spark plugs on a motorcycle, so any helpful advice is welcome :)

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
211 Posts
The manual says ngk ce9k. I used a 3 or 4" extension and a palm wrench. No need to replace the wires, unless they are bad.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
My trusted mechanic recommended going with the stock NGK/CE10K. You can get others that will fit, but most of them only have the single gap instead of the dual gap. He said you'll get much better performance out of the stock ones.

They're not cheap. I spent about $20 each and you need 4. It's worth considering cleaning them and regapping them.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Not sure what year you have, but you might be able to find a video showing you the process.

I watched this video a few times before I did my 06, and it helped a ton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-8yIFXbS78

Whatever you do, make sure you take your time. Sportbikes in general aren't designed with ease of maintenance in mind. Everything is squished tight together and you don't want to break any wires, strip any threads, or drop anything into the cylinder or throttle bodies. My first time it took me about 3 hours to get the first plug out.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
$20 each? Check eBay...I didn't pay that much. They are pretty cheap on eBay.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
$20 each? Check eBay...I didn't pay that much. They are pretty cheap on eBay.
Are you sure? I don't see any. There are some cheaper ones that fit, but they're not the originals with the dual gap.

EDIT: Sorry, I had the model number wrong. The manual states the originals are NGK/CR10EK. I believe 9 will fit and are cheaper, but they're not the dual gap I'm talking about.

G

·
check out the different methods, such as under tank and radiatior method

look at the coil packs for damage and how they, sit so after plug change, the coil pack should sit fulsh no gaps

check out Block off Plates, its cheap mod and frees up sum space while you in there (ur knuckles will thank u)

make sure the plugs get tighten allllllll the way down, and the coils get pushed all the way down, mines loook ok but after the install the bike started to misfire and had to go in and do it all again
because couple plugs were'nt fully tighthend down and coils werent all the way in,

a shorty palm sized wrench is what i used to get the plugs

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I've gone thru the air box and done it by removing the radiator. It's more involved taking the rad off but I think it's easier. A plug socket, 3in extension and a ratchet. Basic tool is all you need

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll have to check out my eBay history when I get home. I either bought mine off eBay or Amazon and they weren't $20 each. I think they were around $4-6 each.

I changed mine from the top and added smog block off plates while I was in there. I used a palm wrench and an extension. It was easier than I was expecting since I have sausage fingers. haha.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Yeah, some of those are definitely cheaper, but the problem is I'm in Canada. They sell for $28 but by the time you add shipping, duties, and exchange rate they end up being $70+ and a 2-3 week wait. I also wanted to get them same day. I probably could have saved at least a few bucks but I don't feel too bad about the price. I supported a local shop so that's a plus.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I literally just changed the plugs on my 05 last weekend and It is a piece of cake! No special tools needed but when you get each spark plug all the way loose, I do recommend using the coils to grip the plug and pull it out. That little trick alone would have saved me a lot of cussing and bloody knuckles.

I went with the stock NGK CR10EK double gap plugs. My local autozone had them in stock and were just north of $5 a piece. I don't why anyone is paying $20 a piece for these. Get the plugs finger tight then tighten 1/2 turn with the socket. Likes others have said make sure your coils sit flush and that all four are sitting equally as far down.

I loosened the tank and blocked it up and went under the air box. It is totally doable and a lot less stressful than removing a radiator.

If you need any assistance whatsoever feel free to PM me and ill give you whatever help I can.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
My local autozone had them in stock and were just north of $5 a piece. I don't why anyone is paying $20 a piece for these.
Canada. I still haven't been able to find 10EKs for less than about $15 each after tax, duties, shipping, and a 2 week wait. Not that it matters since they were installed months ago.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Canada. I still haven't been able to find 10EKs for less than about $15 each after tax, duties, shipping, and a 2 week wait. Not that it matters since they were installed months ago.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sounds to me like I need to get in the business of buying cases of plugs here and shipping them to canada... Figure I can make $20 and still save you guys almost $30. Also can ship them via fedex express and you would have them in 3 days max.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I literally just changed the plugs on my 05 last weekend and It is a piece of cake! No special tools needed but when you get each spark plug all the way loose, I do recommend using the coils to grip the plug and pull it out. That little trick alone would have saved me a lot of cussing and bloody knuckles.

I went with the stock NGK CR10EK double gap plugs. My local autozone had them in stock and were just north of $5 a piece. I don't why anyone is paying $20 a piece for these. Get the plugs finger tight then tighten 1/2 turn with the socket. Likes others have said make sure your coils sit flush and that all four are sitting equally as far down.

I loosened the tank and blocked it up and went under the air box. It is totally doable and a lot less stressful than removing a radiator.

If you need any assistance whatsoever feel free to PM me and ill give you whatever help I can.

I just replaced my plugs with the radiator out. I had to remove the header anyway to get an 02 sensor bung welded it. I decided that it was time to flush and change the radiator fluid too. I also used the coils to grip the spark plug after loosening them. It made things go super quick!

I bought my R6 used, don't they usually come with a small tool kit to help with the plugs?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts