Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo as the title states...i'm in some legal trouble. Got pegged doing 120 on the freeway last night. Cop was pretty chill about it, but wrote the ticket as i expected. speed limit was 65, so i was doing 55 over. This is my first ticket in probably 3 years. The other one was in the daily, and was only like 15 over which got dismissed as a faulty equipment violation. So i need some advice as to what to do. I am considering getting a lawyer to try and help me out in anyway possible, whether that be the ticket fine (515$) or trying to get some points knocked off (6), or just trying to save my rear end when the insurance premium comes time to renew (progressive). Never been through this before and want to know what to do. My pockets arent that deep, but from what i have heard, a lawyer is worth it. But i also know its a case by case kinda thing. I'm young (20) and have no prior criminal history or problems with the law. What do i do??:serious:

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Wisconsin. I talked with an attorney who straight up told me that there really wasn't much that he would be able to do. He said they would have to try and find some kind of error in the officers notes. He told me that it wouldn't make sense to shell out 300$ for his services if they aren't gonna show me any mercy in court. I know how this usually goes...just showing up to court will help dock some of the penalties, but since i was 55 over which technically wasn't double, the attorney said we could try to fight it down to 25 over. either way, i'm still gonna lose my license for about 15 days he said, which really isn't the end of the world, but my insurance is about to have a heart attack when they see this.

I guess im gonna try reaching out to maybe a different law firm and see what they say. Considering how fast i was going, what good would a lawyer do anyway?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
i'm honestly surprised he didn't tow your bike away. I'd be surprised if you don't get put on probation and have to get an SR22 insurance policy.

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm honestly surprised he didn't tow your bike away. I'd be surprised if you don't get put on probation and have to get an SR22 insurance policy.
Ya the cop actually clocked me at 150, but since i was cooperative, he cut me a break and said he wouldn't cuff me or put that on the citation. He instead put it at 120 and let me walk. Definitely learned my lesson....

·
I beat my R6.
17 Posts
I'd like to start off as none of this is to be taken as legal advice. I'm not a lawyer, nor am I trying to get into that field. I'm just sharing some of my experiences. I do not advocate speeding at all. I gave it up for lent a few years ago and never went back.

I've been found not guilty of a few different tickets. I was found not guilty of a 97 because the highway patrol pulling me over turned his lights on (and started recording on the MVARS) as I was getting off of the freeway at reasonable speeds. I invoked a best evidence clause in my trial by declaration, and was found not guilty because there was no video evidence of me speeding. I was found not guilty of a 112 because I showed up the court and the citing officer did not. I also did a discovery request (tell the courts you need a copy of the evidence being presented against you so you can adequately build a defense) for that ticket that I received no response to. Note: the speeds listed are the speeds I was cited at.
There are additional methods or things you can look for when trying to beat your case. Errors in the citation might work but it's not a very probable thing. Regardless of which, if you're not going to lawyer up (I never did), then learn to put in requests for discovery.

Few things I learned throughout my experiences:
A. A ticket doesn't mean you're guilty. It's just a piece of paper saying that the witnessing officer witnessed you committing a crime.
B. The witnessing officer still needs to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are guilty of the crime he's claiming you committed. If he is unable to, you get to walk. (You can brush up on some trigonometry and see if the probable areas where he was aiming his gun at you and the resulting angle that the speed gun's reading are likely to produce errors)
C. Be courteous to the cop. He's just doing his job and trying to get by just like you are. You don't want to give him any additional reasons to want to show up to your court date.
D. You do not need to tell the cop the speed you were actually going. Doing so is an open admission of guilt and will be most likely be presented in court. "I felt I was going at a safe rate of speed." is my automatic response to "Do you know how fast you were going?"
E. Look into the citation code and see if there are any exceptions to it.

Sorry to hear that you're in this situation. Hopefully you make it out of this ticket without too much of a ding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sooooo as the title states...i'm in some legal trouble. Got pegged doing 120 on the freeway last night. Cop was pretty chill about it, but wrote the ticket as i expected. speed limit was 65, so i was doing 55 over. This is my first ticket in probably 3 years. The other one was in the daily, and was only like 15 over which got dismissed as a faulty equipment violation. So i need some advice as to what to do. I am considering getting a lawyer to try and help me out in anyway possible, whether that be the ticket fine (515$) or trying to get some points knocked off (6), or just trying to save my rear end when the insurance premium comes time to renew (progressive). Never been through this before and want to know what to do. My pockets arent that deep, but from what i have heard, a lawyer is worth it. But i also know its a case by case kinda thing. I'm young (20) and have no prior criminal history or problems with the law. What do i do??:serious:
Attorney for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What speed does the ticket say.....does it give a speed??? That is very important...speed limit 65 right? DOES IT SAY YOU WERE DOING 120? I dont think it does cuz your ass would be in jail...if it says 99 your all good..let me know.. I've been stopped a couple times

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What speed does the ticket say.....does it give a speed??? That is very important...speed limit 65 right? DOES IT SAY YOU WERE DOING 120? I dont think it does cuz your ass would be in jail...if it says 99 your all good..let me know.. I've been stopped a couple times
As the ticket states,

Actual speed: 120 Legal: 65 Over: 55

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in NJ, and when I went to court for doing 70 on a 35. It was my first offense, the lawyer told me to plea guilty and ask for "..." I forgot the legal term but the points and ticket is not sent to the DMV or Insurance companies. I only had to pay the ticket + the court fee.

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's plea to unsafe operation. This kind of "get out of trouble" card can only be used 3 times in your life. To be used wisely.
Not sure it applies in your state.
Good to know. At this point, my fate is in the hands of my lawyer.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
I'm in Wisconsin. I talked with an attorney who straight up told me that there really wasn't much that he would be able to do. ...
I guess im gonna try reaching out to maybe a different law firm and see what they say. Considering how fast i was going, what good would a lawyer do anyway?
you keep interviewing attorneys until you find one that will go to bat for you. Pretty simple and costs nothing but time. A good attorney will be able to lay out various defenses and costs. A trial will cost over $3,000 pretty easy... but it also means the State has to provide witnesses and POSITIVELY ID you. Just because the PO issued the ticket doesnt mean it was you...unless you admitted on video or body cam.
Heres the flip side... you dont want a suspension on your license PERIOD. Ive seen many folks not get jobs because their license was suspended as little as 1 day and basically be "uninsurable" on a commercial motor vehicle policy.

I was charged with running 160mph on a highway...along with a bunch of other bikes. (racing on a highway, wreckless, and excessive speed)

All of them were young & naive like yourself. I was the ONLY one that fought the charges and won. In the end...the 25 other idiots that "plead" down silly charges could have use my case to dispute theirs if they waited... but nope. All okie doked by the prelim judge and law student intern prosecutor.

The whole thing cost me about $3500 with time off from work and attorney fees. It was hilarious how each stage of the process was a different person who "urged" me to accept a plea and at one point had a damning in car cam DVD...lol. By the time we got to trial... the litigator was a slick looking fella like you see on TV. He put my driving record on public record and made repeated attempts to make a 6 mph over speeding ticket, on a major highway, from 10yrs prior look like Murder 1...lol.
The best part... when the cop who wrote the ticket was presented with 4 similar looking bikes to see if he could remember which bike he witnessed/radared doing the excessive speed... he pushed it off on his sergeant who then testified he did not see anyone speeding but he heard excessive engines revving.
My attorney had a field day with it...loved pushing the prosecutor around and poking holes in their charges.
FYI... I wasnt speeding that evening but the lesson I learned is that Street riders are bascially all faggots. You want to ride like an Outlaw... you got to hire representation like one or simply outride the polices. Not plead down like a bitch. :fact Or keep it to closed courses.

This may mean ditching & burning your bike but again... street riders dont think of "consequences".

And those charges show up on a background check.

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
you keep interviewing attorneys until you find one that will go to bat for you. Pretty simple and costs nothing but time. A good attorney will be able to lay out various defenses and costs. A trial will cost over $3,000 pretty easy... but it also means the State has to provide witnesses and POSITIVELY ID you. Just because the PO issued the ticket doesnt mean it was you...unless you admitted on video or body cam.
Heres the flip side... you dont want a suspension on your license PERIOD. Ive seen many folks not get jobs because their license was suspended as little as 1 day and basically be "uninsurable" on a commercial motor vehicle policy.

I was charged with running 160mph on a highway...along with a bunch of other bikes. (racing on a highway, wreckless, and excessive speed)

All of them were young & naive like yourself. I was the ONLY one that fought the charges and won. In the end...the 25 other idiots that "plead" down silly charges could have use my case to dispute theirs if they waited... but nope. All okie doked by the prelim judge and law student intern prosecutor.

The whole thing cost me about $3500 with time off from work and attorney fees. It was hilarious how each stage of the process was a different person who "urged" me to accept a plea and at one point had a damning in car cam DVD...lol. By the time we got to trial... the litigator was a slick looking fella like you see on TV. He put my driving record on public record and made repeated attempts to make a 6 mph over speeding ticket, on a major highway, from 10yrs prior look like Murder 1...lol.
The best part... when the cop who wrote the ticket was presented with 4 similar looking bikes to see if he could remember which bike he witnessed/radared doing the excessive speed... he pushed it off on his sergeant who then testified he did not see anyone speeding but he heard excessive engines revving.
My attorney had a field day with it...loved pushing the prosecutor around and poking holes in their charges.
FYI... I wasnt speeding that evening but the lesson I learned is that Street riders are bascially all faggots. You want to ride like an Outlaw... you got to hire representation like one or simply outride the polices. Not plead down like a bitch. :fact Or keep it to closed courses.

This may mean ditching & burning your bike but again... street riders dont think of "consequences".

And those charges show up on a background check.

The background check varies for every employer. If for example, i was to try and become a truck driver, then they will pull my driving record and see this red flag. However, say i was to apply for a job for something as simple as being a cashier at a grocery store. They probably wont give two s****. Speeding tickets really only hinder employment opportunities based on the type of work you're applying for. I'll be honest here, I'm a college student going for my doctorate. The field that I am specifically going into will not require me to operate a company car, and still have about 5 years of schooling left for this to drop off my record.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
The background check varies for every employer. If for example, i was to try and become a truck driver, then they will pull my driving record and see this red flag. However, say i was to apply for a job for something as simple as being a cashier at a grocery store. They probably wont give two s****. Speeding tickets really only hinder employment opportunities based on the type of work you're applying for. I'll be honest here, I'm a college student going for my doctorate. The field that I am specifically going into will not require me to operate a company car, and still have about 5 years of schooling left for this to drop off my record.
charges NEVER drop off your record. Doesnt matter if its misdemeanor or felony...any time its The State of XX vs. You... there will be a record of it.
I just saw a co worker, who is 65 yrs old... have to jump through a bunch of hoops to keep his $75,000/yr job because he got pegged for doing 12 over the posted in a Govt vehicle 4 months ago...lol.
He balked at hiring an attorney when I suggested... then HR got wind of his driving infraction during working hours and it turned into a shit show from there. And yes they came & got his vehicle from his home and made him take 6 weeks of AL to sort the issue out.

You obviously have never been through a high security background check.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts